My computer crashed when I tried overclocking

4400_Overclocker

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I don't know what I did wrong. I was trying to overclock my 4400+, and after I saved and continued from CMOS, my monitor didn't show anything. My computer turns on like it normally does, but nothing shows up. Please help!

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It is an AMD system. Simply clear the CMOS and it should be fine. :D

wtf is that supposed to mean?

OMG! It supposed to mean that you should do your homework before you start fiddling with your computer! Read a few articles first, then try to understand how everything works, what the implications of overclocking are and what to expect from it, and then get your hands dirty.
Clearing the CMOS means, open up your motherboard manual and find the CMOS switch on your motherboard, then switch off your power supply and short the pins to CLEAR CMOS. Leave it for 10 secs, then put the shorting pins back to its original position, switch your PSU on and boot as you would normally do.

aaannndddiii

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
OMG! It supposed to mean that you should do your homework before you start fiddling with your computer! Read a few articles first, then try to understand how everything works, what the implications of overclocking are and what to expect from it, and then get your hands dirty.
Clearing the CMOS means, open up your motherboard manual and find the CMOS switch on your motherboard, then switch off your power supply and short the pins to CLEAR CMOS. Leave it for 10 secs, then put the shorting pins back to its original position, switch your PSU on and boot as you would normally do.

i have the same problem..
CMOS are switch or pins??
which one are them.. helpp...
:roll:

moogles

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

check your mobo manual, seriously if you cant do this then I dont think you should be overclocking.

@darkguset: i think apache means why does it matter if its an AMD system, because resetting the cmos is the same for all systems. and its not apache who did the overclocking so idk why you quoted his post.

aaannndddiii

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007

check your mobo manual, seriously if you cant do this then I dont think you should be overclocking.

@darkguset: i think apache means why does it matter if its an AMD system, because resetting the cmos is the same for all systems. and its not apache who did the overclocking so idk why you quoted his post.

yeah read it and found it..
n now it 'fixed'
not as hard as i thought
hahaha.. i was sort of panic back then.. my lil bro screaming and all bcoz i messed up with his old 'beloved' comp.. :lol:
that's why the first thing i do was posting here...
now problem solved
thx bro :wink:

moogles

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
good to hear, now you advanced in overclocking :p
I got my X2 4200 running at 2625Mhz at 1.45v stable, I heard alot of other 4400's cant get past 2.6 either.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I don't know what I did wrong. I was trying to overclock my 4400+, and after I saved and continued from CMOS, my monitor didn't show anything. My computer turns on like it normally does, but nothing shows up. Please help!

one usual error of overclocking the AMD cpus is, raising theHTT (fsb) but not lowering the multiplier
most motherboards DO NOT SUPPORT a HTT(hypertransport) frecuency of over 1,000, and will crash or hang up if you go up this 1,000 limit. ( most higher end will reach betwen 1013 to up to 1100 )

so if you're gonna OC for 25% ( 250 htt ) I recommend you lower your multiplier x 4

so you get 250 x 4 = 1,000 ( easiest way to oc )
also lower your ram for the closest limit it can handle.

*edit*
nevermind, just read that yo upushed your 4400 over 4.6
so thats more like cpu limit.

HTDuro

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
yep a lil bit, and just a question, what kind of PSU do you have ... is it dont wanna boot, maybe its cause you dont have the needed power ... OC need alot of juice .. even if your psu if fine for your system ... it can be too lil even if you oc just a lil bit