Permissions on "Open Files"

I'm trying to make a user see what files are open on w W2000 server. He's
able to log on via TS, but he has no admin privileges on the server. When he
gets to the Open Files option at the Computer Management snap in, he gets the
following message : "Yo do not have permissions to see the list of the files
opened by windows clients". If he runs a Net files command, the result is
access denied.

Is there a way to grant a user rights to view files opened on a server ?

Thanks, Anselmo
3 answers Last reply
More about permissions open files

    That may not be possible. What you might try is to give the user the right
    to debug programs. I don't know if that will help but easy enough to try.
    You can do that in the appropriate security policy - local/domain/OU under
    security settings/local policies/user rights. Make sure that the "effective"
    setting in Local Security Policy includes the user you want. Normally only
    administrators have that user right.--- Steve

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > That may not be possible. What you might try is to give the user the right
    > to debug programs. I don't know if that will help but easy enough to try.
    > You can do that in the appropriate security policy - local/domain/OU under
    > security settings/local policies/user rights. Make sure that the "effective"
    > setting in Local Security Policy includes the user you want. Normally only
    > administrators have that user right.--- Steve
    >

    > "Anselmo Q" <AnselmoQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to make a user see what files are open on w W2000 server. He's
    > > able to log on via TS, but he has no admin privileges on the server. When
    > > he
    > > gets to the Open Files option at the Computer Management snap in, he gets
    > > the
    > > following message : "Yo do not have permissions to see the list of the
    > > files
    > > opened by windows clients". If he runs a Net files command, the result is
    > > access denied.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to grant a user rights to view files opened on a server ?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Anselmo

  3. What I have done is this:

    On the server in question, run a scheduled task to run this command every minute or so: "NET FILE > [network share\folder]\OpenFiles.txt"

    Then, give the user a shortcut to this txt file. He can view the file for current status.

Servers Permissions Windows