Permissions on "Open Files"

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 8, 2004 2:33:01 AM

I'm trying to make a user see what files are open on w W2000 server. He's
able to log on via TS, but he has no admin privileges on the server. When he
gets to the Open Files option at the Computer Management snap in, he gets the
following message : "Yo do not have permissions to see the list of the files
opened by windows clients". If he runs a Net files command, the result is
access denied.

Is there a way to grant a user rights to view files opened on a server ?

Thanks, Anselmo

More about : permissions open files

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 10:26:18 PM

That may not be possible. What you might try is to give the user the right
to debug programs. I don't know if that will help but easy enough to try.
You can do that in the appropriate security policy - local/domain/OU under
security settings/local policies/user rights. Make sure that the "effective"
setting in Local Security Policy includes the user you want. Normally only
administrators have that user right.--- Steve

"Anselmo Q" <AnselmoQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to make a user see what files are open on w W2000 server. He's
> able to log on via TS, but he has no admin privileges on the server. When
> he
> gets to the Open Files option at the Computer Management snap in, he gets
> the
> following message : "Yo do not have permissions to see the list of the
> files
> opened by windows clients". If he runs a Net files command, the result is
> access denied.
>
> Is there a way to grant a user rights to view files opened on a server ?
>
> Thanks, Anselmo
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 7:55:08 PM

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> That may not be possible. What you might try is to give the user the right
> to debug programs. I don't know if that will help but easy enough to try.
> You can do that in the appropriate security policy - local/domain/OU under
> security settings/local policies/user rights. Make sure that the "effective"
> setting in Local Security Policy includes the user you want. Normally only
> administrators have that user right.--- Steve
>

> "Anselmo Q" <AnselmoQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to make a user see what files are open on w W2000 server. He's
> > able to log on via TS, but he has no admin privileges on the server. When
> > he
> > gets to the Open Files option at the Computer Management snap in, he gets
> > the
> > following message : "Yo do not have permissions to see the list of the
> > files
> > opened by windows clients". If he runs a Net files command, the result is
> > access denied.
> >
> > Is there a way to grant a user rights to view files opened on a server ?
> >
> > Thanks, Anselmo

August 26, 2011 7:02:36 PM

What I have done is this:

On the server in question, run a scheduled task to run this command every minute or so: "NET FILE > [network share\folder]\OpenFiles.txt"

Then, give the user a shortcut to this txt file. He can view the file for current status.
!