Upgrading to Dual Core

insomniacsloth

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
My P4 3.4 gigahertz just fried when it got a virus and I want to replace it with a Core 2 Duo. What's the lowest speed RAM that will accomodate it?

I have an ASUS P5AD2 Premium and 1 Gig of DDR2 at only 533 Mhz.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
My P4 3.4 gigahertz just fried when it got a virus and I want to replace it with a Core 2 Duo. What's the lowest speed RAM that will accomodate it?

I have an ASUS P5AD2 Premium and 1 Gig of DDR2 at only 533 Mhz.

Ok. There's a major fault here. A virus cannot fry your CPU. Your motherboard also will not support C2D (yes, both your P4 and the C2D are socket 775, but C2D requires a newer chipset). If you get a new motherboard, yes, your RAM will work with it.

edit - beaten by seconds.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Sorry to be the bearer of Bad news, but you'll need to Buy another Motherboard. Core 2 Duos aren't supported by your Current Motherboard. Unlike AMD, Intel required new Motherboards and New Chip sets(carefully chosen) to Support running Newer Processers, Which are Select 945, Mostly all 965, and most 975 Intel Chipsets. Yours are much too old to Upgrade beyond Pentium 4's and maybe Pentium D's(maybe just Maybe), some one will tell you or already have so what's the point of me looking it up.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Sorry to be the bearer of Bad news, but you'll need to Buy another Motherboard. Core 2 Duos aren't supported by your Current Motherboard. Unlike AMD, Intel required new Motherboards and New Chip sets(carefully chosen) to Support running Newer Processers, Which are Select 945, Mostly all 965, and most 975 Intel Chipsets. Yours are much too old to Upgrade beyond Pentium 4's and maybe Pentium D's(maybe just Maybe), some one will tell you or already have so what's the point of me looking it up.
FUD AMD has gone from socket A to s754 + s940 to s939 to sAM2 in the last 3-4 years. Intel went from s478 to LGA775 in that time.

endyen

Splendid
True, but one nice thing about 754, 939, 949 and AM2 is that any chip that will fit, will work.
For Intel, during the socketA period, they also had P111s and williamettes (423), and about 5 major revisions to s478. (SocketA had 4 major revisions)
Not that I want to hold back a cpu by putting it on an old, outdated mobo.
Backwards compatability usually means newer chips get put on cheaper old boards.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
But at least People Know when Dealing with a AMD Socket that Most Socket 939 Motherboards can be a Drop-in Upgrade with the usual BIOS update. So like Enyden said if CPU is a Socket 939, it'll usually fit into a Socket 939 and work(not Dealing with 940 and AM2, Same Pins Different Name). But LGA775 ,You cannot take a Quad-Core Q6600- QX6700 and fit it into a Prescott Certified 925Chipset :wink: you will have problems.
Just stating Chipset Problems(incompatibility) are more annoying than having to change Sockets, because it makes it easier for the simpleton upgrader.

Intel Makes it like this, If your child has one of these (bottom of Page)
It May fit, but the game is no good unless that wooden board supports the new Colours.

But AMD makes it so that it's a drop in fit(If it's a Square it should fit into the Square :?: ), usually doesn't even need a BIOS update, so it actually becomes as simple as it seems, Drop and Play :D
Learning%20Resources%20Shape%20Form%20Board.jpg

FUD AMD has gone from socket A to s754 + s940 to s939 to sAM2 in the last 3-4 years. Intel went from s478 to LGA775 in that time.

Be careful with calling FUD on this. While AMD made socket changes, the fact remained you could swap out from 1st gen to the latest AMD Skt939 with a BIOS update, where swapping from 1st gen Skt775 to the latest requires a new chipset, hence a new mobo. And, Skt940 during the height of Skt939 was for 2xx series Opteron's and really shouldn't be counted. Even still you could get a 1xx series Opteron and drop it into a Skt939 mobo with no mobo/chipset change.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Be careful with calling FUD on this. While AMD made socket changes, the fact remained you could swap out from 1st gen to the latest AMD Skt939 with a BIOS update, where swapping from 1st gen Skt775 to the latest requires a new chipset, hence a new mobo. And, Skt940 during the height of Skt939 was for 2xx series Opteron's and really shouldn't be counted. Even still you could get a 1xx series Opteron and drop it into a Skt939 mobo with no mobo/chipset change.
@chunkymonster, YO_KID37, and endyen:

I'll revise it. :)

1/2 FUD :) While the chipset issue is correct, the socket changes are still BS, and makes them no better than Intel.