Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Initial login prompt

Tags:
  • Login
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
October 8, 2004 11:26:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hello,

I just installed my Windows 2000 Prof. on my new computer
and when I set up the initial login I used my name. Now I
would like it to prompt me with "Administrator" when
windows first boots up. How do I change this?

Also how do I get rid of the new popups that I get when I
start up regarding anti popup software that I can buy?
How is that? Offensive popups that tell you how to get
rid of offensive popups???

Thank You
Mike

More about : initial login prompt

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:05:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

If you logon as administrator then it should show as the logon name the next
attempt to logon. be sure to use a strong password for your administrator
accounts. If they are grey box popups those are from the messenger service
and indicate you need a firewall. For general web browser pop ups the free
Google toolbar works very well. See the link below for basic security tips.
Zone Alarm is a good firewall for home users, It gives adequate protection
and is fairly easy to configure. If using cable or dsl I suggest you also
get a NAT router like you can buy at Best Buy and such. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwfirewall.h... --- free for
personal use firewalls.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?descripti...
-- a NAT router device as an example.

"Mike" <mbeno@ashwaubenon.k12.wi.us> wrote in message
news:081f01c4ad42$c0d94dd0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> I just installed my Windows 2000 Prof. on my new computer
> and when I set up the initial login I used my name. Now I
> would like it to prompt me with "Administrator" when
> windows first boots up. How do I change this?
>
> Also how do I get rid of the new popups that I get when I
> start up regarding anti popup software that I can buy?
> How is that? Offensive popups that tell you how to get
> rid of offensive popups???
>
> Thank You
> Mike
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:05:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

I have logged on many times and it is always the same.
Each time I logon it starts as showing my name, which I
have deleted as a user, and immediately displays a message
that this is an incorrect login.
>-----Original Message-----
>If you logon as administrator then it should show as the
logon name the next
>attempt to logon. be sure to use a strong password for
your administrator
>accounts. If they are grey box popups those are from the
messenger service
>and indicate you need a firewall. For general web browser
pop ups the free
>Google toolbar works very well. See the link below for
basic security tips.
>Zone Alarm is a good firewall for home users, It gives
adequate protection
>and is fairly easy to configure. If using cable or dsl I
suggest you also
>get a NAT router like you can buy at Best Buy and such. -
-- Steve
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
spx
>http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwfirewall.h...
--- free for
>personal use firewalls.
>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?
description=33-127-013&DEPA=5
> -- a NAT router device as an example.
>
>"Mike" <mbeno@ashwaubenon.k12.wi.us> wrote in message
>news:081f01c4ad42$c0d94dd0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just installed my Windows 2000 Prof. on my new
computer
>> and when I set up the initial login I used my name.
Now I
>> would like it to prompt me with "Administrator" when
>> windows first boots up. How do I change this?
>>
>> Also how do I get rid of the new popups that I get when
I
>> start up regarding anti popup software that I can buy?
>> How is that? Offensive popups that tell you how to get
>> rid of offensive popups???
>>
>> Thank You
>> Mike
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 12:17:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

I am used to domain logon which requires the use of control -alt -delete
which may be different that what you use. Try going into Control Panel/users
and groups to see if you have an option to reconfigure default account in
users properties or such. I don't have a W2K workstation box handy right now
to check for more specific details. Otherwise if you do not mind using
control - alt - delete to logon then while logged on as an administrator
open up Local Security Policy via secpol.msc in the run box and go to
security settings/local policies/security settings and for the security
option for "disable crtl+alt+dlt requirement for logon" set it to
disabled. --- Steve



<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0c0701c4ad70$cccff660$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>I have logged on many times and it is always the same.
> Each time I logon it starts as showing my name, which I
> have deleted as a user, and immediately displays a message
> that this is an incorrect login.
>>-----Original Message-----
>>If you logon as administrator then it should show as the
> logon name the next
>>attempt to logon. be sure to use a strong password for
> your administrator
>>accounts. If they are grey box popups those are from the
> messenger service
>>and indicate you need a firewall. For general web browser
> pop ups the free
>>Google toolbar works very well. See the link below for
> basic security tips.
>>Zone Alarm is a good firewall for home users, It gives
> adequate protection
>>and is fairly easy to configure. If using cable or dsl I
> suggest you also
>>get a NAT router like you can buy at Best Buy and such. -
> -- Steve
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> spx
>>http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwfirewall.h...
> --- free for
>>personal use firewalls.
>>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?
> description=33-127-013&DEPA=5
>> -- a NAT router device as an example.
>>
>>"Mike" <mbeno@ashwaubenon.k12.wi.us> wrote in message
>>news:081f01c4ad42$c0d94dd0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just installed my Windows 2000 Prof. on my new
> computer
>>> and when I set up the initial login I used my name.
> Now I
>>> would like it to prompt me with "Administrator" when
>>> windows first boots up. How do I change this?
>>>
>>> Also how do I get rid of the new popups that I get when
> I
>>> start up regarding anti popup software that I can buy?
>>> How is that? Offensive popups that tell you how to get
>>> rid of offensive popups???
>>>
>>> Thank You
>>> Mike
>>
>>
>>.
>>
!