Network + Cert

chrislay

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
On the CompTIA Network+ Cert Test, what operating systems are required to get certified, because I am only familier with windows, I have never done anything with novel or nothing, am I supposed to know that stuff to get CompTIA Network+ certs? any help is appreciated thanks a ton

sturm

Splendid
Dont need any windows or other operating knowledge, but it does help overall. I did my network + then my MCP on Server 2000 then CCNA.
If your going for any other network certifications I would definitly get the Network + first. It will help out on the others.

gstrother1

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
network+ doesn't cover any operating systems other then windows. Its not a test on any OS its just networking fundamentals. the only time it might mention windows is in a scenario based question.

It's a very simple test and is a good place for some people to start.

chrislay

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
But to setup a network in say, a small office connect all of there computers, the computers will be using an OS, so I will need to know how to navigate through the OS, so if they are using something other than windows, I wont know how to navigate through it?

sturm

Splendid
Setting up computers to use the network is not part of the network + certification. It only covers the basic on how and why a network functions, how each component in a network functions, the differences between components, different routing protocols, etc.
It doesnt test you on actually setting the network up from within an os.
To learn that you will need to get something along the lines of the MCP cert. or higher.

riser

Illustrious
I'm not sure what all has changed since they updated the test. The previous version you were asked questions ranging from Windows for Workgroups all the way up to Windows 2000 server/XP, nothing on 2003 server.
Questions also popped up on Linux and Unix, though I think I had only 4-5 of those.

The questions will ask what commands or what is the command for something network related on those OS.