Should climate affect choice of cooling?

Lazarus7

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I was wondering whether many people take the climate they live in into account when selecting their method of cooling. I bring this up as I am currently investigating a few cooling choices and I began to think, will air cooling cut it in my climate?

Now, I live in Western Australia and we consistently get 30 degrees celcius (86F) plus days, even up to 40 (104F) on occasions. My computer space is also upstairs which just makes it even hotter, especially when the pc has been on for a few hours.

So I am wondering, should I stick with the air cooling setup I was leaning towards, or would watercooling be better for my situation?

Cheers
Lazarus

Mondoman

Splendid
I'm sure he has enough trouble keeping the croc running on the treadmill to make enough electricity for the computer. :wink:

Back to the OP's question: sure, raising ambient temp should correspondingly raise system, CPU etc temps. However, the systems (especially Core 2 Duo CPUs) are designed to run at hotter temps than are normally seen with good air cooling at 70ish F ambient temps. Increased airflow can also compensate for increased ambient temp. Bottom line: you should be fine (it's always good to keep track of your temps, though).

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
ambient tempurature will affect w/c or air.

here is mine but i have the window open.
it is only about 10c higher with the window closed.
i am on air.

it depends on what the avg. ambient room temps are where your computer is.

also what type of air cooling and w/c set-up you pick.

Lazarus7

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Yeah have aircon but it's only evaporative and doesn't work all that well on the humid days....and even on the dry days if it's 35+ it can only do so much :roll:

Mondoman

Splendid
Remember that as soon as your cooling goes below ambient temp, you have to start worrying about condensation (especially with high relative humidity). Condensation + electronics = big pain.