goto new mobo, what are intel's cpu plans for this year?

hi

ive just bought a new nforce 650i sli mobo, and the good news is that it supports fsb1333 cpu's once the chips arrive.

does anyone know what intel's plans for the core2 chips this year? i was gonna buy a core2 duo fsb1066 but decided against it and wait for new chips to arrive and hopefully get a fsb1333 chip whether its a duo or quad core.

at the mo i'm using my old p4 3.2 fsb800 which is fine for all games where a few of them are 3.0ghz minimum spec.
8 answers Last reply
More about goto mobo intel plans year
  1. I think you'll find what you're looking for on this thread.

Quote:
    e. Core 2 Duo E6x50 series
    Release time: Q3
    Specifications: 4MB shared L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB
    Clock speeds: 2.33GHz (E6450), 2.66GHz (E6750), 3.00GHz (E6850)
    Expected price: unknown
    Expected market position: To replace E6x00
    My commemt: The series of the CPU will be released with the Bearlake chipsets. Since the architecture is not bandwidth-starved, the major reason for the release of these products is to make more money from upgrading FSB. Intel can then sell more processors that are "marked higher-end". It can be used to stop ATi / VIA from making high-end Intel chipset also.
  2. Quote:
    I think you'll find what you're looking for on this thread.

cheers for the info mate, hopefully will get a new cpu in the summer, by the time the e6x50's are released with the e4x00's(duo), e6x00's(duo), and the q6x00's(quad), it depends on my budget whether if i can afford the 1333fsb chips or the quad's, if not maybe a e6300/6320 for now and then upgrade to a 1333fsb chip in a year or 2.

most mobo's only support 1066fsb and a few supports 1333fsb as i have, as its upgradable for a few years down the line, where others would have to buy a new mobo just to run 1333fsb chips.
  3. Yeah, upgrade ability would be nice. I was sad to learn that even though my P5LD2 mobo supports 1066 FSB, it doesn't have the voltage regulator module to support any C2D chips. A lot of people got angry with AMD for switching sockets last year, but really to me I see no difference between them and Intel when it comes to upgrading. I have the LGA775, but I certainly can't put the newest processors in it.

Looks like I'll be saving up for a whole new system anyway. I'm turning these old parts into a HTPC rig.
  4. Quote:
    Yeah, upgrade ability would be nice. I was sad to learn that even though my P5LD2 mobo supports 1066 FSB, it doesn't have the voltage regulator module to support any C2D chips. A lot of people got angry with AMD for switching sockets last year, but really to me I see no difference between them and Intel when it comes to upgrading. I have the LGA775, but I certainly can't put the newest processors in it.

Looks like I'll be saving up for a whole new system anyway. I'm turning these old parts into a HTPC rig.

ive just had that board that i bought off my friend and it supports core2 duo's as he used to have an e6300 chip before he went to AMD, but there was a fault on the board but was still under warranty so got a refund and went elsewhere and got the asus P5N-E nforce 650i sli which got good reviews at:-
    http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=925&cid=3
  5. The newer versions of the P5LD2 do support the C2D, but I bought mine in the fall of '05, so it's the older version that lacks the required VRM. It's not that I'm displeased with the board. It does everything I've wanted and overclocking is simple. It's just when C2D came out, I looked at my PD and turned green.
  6. thats a bit of shame, thought they would have updated the board when the core2's was announced
  7. There is a new version of the board that has the VRM required to run the C2D. People buying the P5LD2 today would almost certainly get this version. But then, why would someone want the 945P chipset now that the P965 is out?
  8. Quote:
    But then, why would someone want the 945P chipset now that the P965 is out?

i know, was considering the p965 board and saw the nvidia 650 sli and went for that instead
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel