Athlon 3500+ skt 939 w/ stock fan-- heat issues?

stan412

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I recently checked my computer's CPU temperature monitor (nVidia's hardware monitoring downloadable program), and it's usually between 56-58 C. now, according to the meter, it is stable, but I've read that most people have it from 20 to 40 C, and that above 45 C is bad. I don't know if I should replace my stock cooler because, the most I leave my computer on at a time is 3-5 straight days, and a month is the longest I had it on straight.
Should I worry about the durability of either the stock heatsink or CPU now?

Any third-party (preferably air) cooler suggestions?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
That is very warm. I have a 939 3500+ at home that idles significantly lower (and it's overclocked). Try re-seating the HSF?

The stock HSF are pretty decent for the task set out for them.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
s939 cpus are rated at up to about 71C i believe... so at 56-58C, its not too much of a worry, it is a little warm though to be honest...

before investing any money on additional cooling, i would first check to make sure the heatsink is mounted properly (remount it, clean off and reapply the appropriate amount of thermal paste if you need to), then check to make sure your case airflow is sufficient (move cables and such out of the way as much as possible, reposition fans to better locations, clean all the dust out with a can of compressed air, etc)

if doing those things doesnt help really, a third party hs+f and a few additional 120mm case fans will probably help a great deal then

also, you might want to try a few different temperature monitoring programs too (incase nvidias isnt reading correctly)... amd has one you can download from their site, its pretty accurate from what ive found "dashboard demo"

endyen

Splendid
I unscrew the fan from the hsf and clean it and the fins, about every 3 to 4 months. I have three, and they all run around 50c, but they run @ 100%, 24/7.
The cleaning usually takes the temp down by 5c.