Audigy 1 Upgrade?

Fulmar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I've been debating for a while about replacing the old piece of equipment in my computer - my sound card. Back in the day I spent $180 for my Audigy Platinum and I had originally planned on recording some music from records etc for my dad, plus the remote was nice. However, the Audigy drive has merely served as a front headphone jack for almost 6 years.

Now with the case I bought last year, I can hook up the front jack on the side of the case instead of having the drive bay door somewhat open - which gets to be annoying.

Basically what I'm I asking advice on is - will I notice a significant sound quality increase from my original Audigy to say an X-fi? I'm not worried about FPS increases since my current rig doesn't have any problems.

I'm kind of an audiophile and enjoy my Sennheiser HD-485 headphones very much. What has sparked my interest in a new sound card is I recently got a Samsung T9 mp3 player and to be honest the sound quality on my half cell phone sized MP3 player is easily better than my old Audigy.

Is it worth it dropping saying $100-$120? All the threads I've seen and reviews on the internet I've read have compared audigy 2's to x-fi's, but nothing as far back as the original audigy.

TheProfiler

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
You can't go wrong with any of the X-Fi series.
I gor X-FI Xtreme Gamer ( no front panel, don't need it anyway) for peanuts, real cheap and its just awesome...