Does a right angle AGP adapter exist?

kingofthelobster

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I'm building a home theatre pc out of some spare components I have laying around. I intend to make my own case in my shop and I would like to have it be as thin as possible, however, my only issue lies in the height of my agp video card (everything else is on the motherboard). Is there a right angle agp adapter on the market so that I could have my video card lay parallel to the motherboard instead of sticking up like normal?

kingofthelobster

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Shoulda googled it, although I try to resist using the evil giant for my searches.

I'll probably use an AGP riser from a 2U chassis to get it off the motherboard a bit then I plan on having 2 40mm fans below the agp card to suck all its heat out of the case. Luckily it's not a real hot video card so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I would spend the extra money and get a Mobo with build in 6150 graphics or better.

I use that and it works fine for anything MC can throw at it..

Also:
XBMC (xbox media center) is 100x better then MS MCPC (except for TV recording obviously). In fact, its the best home theater equipment supplemental equipment I have used. You can even play PS2 games on it!

Anyway, What case you going to be using?

kingofthelobster

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Thanks, I've still got to decide what height adaptor to use but I at least know what to look for now. I'd really like to keep the overall package height to about 2 inches so it looks like a part of my av equipment instead of a computer sitting on my shelf.

The case itself I am going to make myself, I have a bench bender out in my shop and a ton of aluminum laying around so I'm going to form my own case to my specifications.

The motherboard is a Biostar M7VIK and I've got an Athlon 2400 sitting around, I figure that will be more than enough for any of my home theatre pc needs. The video card is a Volari V8 video card, not top notch for 3D stuff, but it will output HDTV native resolutions and really looks better on my tv than my Radeon ever does.

I have my Xbox set up with XBMC, but I have these components just laying around, and I've always wanted to build a dedicated home theatre pc.