Just ordered my 8800GTS 640 - Have a question.

Airek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hey folks. So I just ordered all my new parts.

I came away with this video card. I'm very excited for it to arrive, but have a question.

As I was browsing Newegg tonight I came across THIS video card.

The only difference is it's SUPERCLOCKED. It's only $20 more as well. So my question is this - is it worth me trying to return the card I ordered to get the superclocked version? Or is this something I could simply do myself to my own card? Thanks folks.

Airek

TheProfiler

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
If you get factory version, you can OC it yourself, usually with no problems.
But if money isn't isuue, I'd go with factory overclocked, you get OC'd version and it's still under warranty. And later, if you wis you can clock her a bit as well.
Go with superclocked one. You'll get 2-5 % more FPS, depending on game or application....

cajuntech

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I just ordered 2 of the nonsuperclocked cards last night for my new system. I originally planned on the Superclocked version, but after doing a little reading I bought the nonsuperclocked version and spent $40 elsewhere with the intention of overclocking the cards myself.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I just ordered 2 of the nonsuperclocked cards last night for my new system. I originally planned on the Superclocked version, but after doing a little reading I bought the nonsuperclocked version and spent $40 elsewhere with the intention of overclocking the cards myself.

Would you share it with us why did you go with the not overclocked version? You know that you will loose the warranty if you overclock your cards by yourself right?

cajuntech

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Taken from EVGA's website:

All EVGA Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days from ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive full lifetime warranty. (All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty.)

Removal and or Defacing of Serial/Part number sticker(s) on ANY EVGA products WILL void ALL warranties.

ALL Defective products sent in for RMA replacement MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL INVOICE / RECEIPT. (Products NOT including invoice/receipt will be returned to the customer at customer’s expense.)
Lifetime Warranty is for all retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products ending in the part numbers A, AR, AX, BR*, BX*, DR, DX, FR, FX, SG, SL, or S2.
* [Replacement products are shipped out as –BR or –BX and will carry the same lifetime warranty that your original purchase had based on your registration.]

There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.

All replacement products shipped out for replacement are recertified by EVGA to uphold the quality and guarantee of our products.

All RMA products will require the customer to pay for shipping to EVGA. EVGA will cover all return shipping back for the RMA replacement with (Ground) Shipping through UPS.*

Is overclocking considered physical damage? I thought I read a post on these boards or somewhere else that overclocking was still covered under warranty.

cajuntech

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Doubt it. Never really overclocked anything on this end.

I originally planned on purchasing the superclocked versions, but was on a $2000 budget and the Antec 900 case ended up being about $40 more than I thought (the cheapest online guys had it on backorder and the other one wouldn't let me go through the ordering process), so I went with the nonOC'd versions and used the $40 savings for the case.

Will I reach superclocked speeds with my nonOC'd cards, no clue. The OP asked a question and as I was in the same boat (ordered my cards last night) I gave him my experience. If I could have squeezed the superclocked into my budget I would have, but OCing on my own seemed like an option.

methimpikehoses

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Except if you're running VISTA-- there is no app now that OC's the 8800's. You could flash the BIOS, but that does void the warranty.

You won't need to OC the 8800GTS for most apps now anyway.

TRENDING THREADS