Sign in with
Your question

Please help first time build =(

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2007 5:09:48 AM

Please excuse the newbieness, but I really need help.

I just assembled...

Intel E6600 - CPU
Asus P5W DH Deluxe - motherboard
Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4
Zalman CNPS9700 LED - CPU heatsink/fan
Sapphire X1950XT - GPU
1 x Western Digital SATA WD1500ADFD - 10,000 RPM harddrive (OEM)
2 x ASUS DVD - DRW-1612BL-BK (OEM)
Antec P180 - case
Corsair HX620W power supply
Scythe YD-8V08 - card reader
Viewsonic 922VX - monitor

I connected everything and turned it on - the case lights turn on, the LED on the motherboard lights, and the fans (case and GPU) spin. That's it. Nothing else happens. The monitor displays no input and goes into sleep mode.

I haven't installed an operating system yet, but isn't something supposed to display on the screen so I can load Windows XP?

More about : time build

February 15, 2007 6:35:11 AM

It should load the BIOS screen and give you a chance to edit that, then it will try to load the OS. Other than that I would look at the GPU. Seated, cable correct, and if possible check in another machine. I have seen it do that when it needed drivers but it still should show BIOS. Oh, Do you have onboard graphics? They must be turned off, usually a MB plug/switch
February 15, 2007 11:14:08 AM

- check whether the bios is the latest. The version is on a sticker on the bios chip. The latest is on asus site.

- reseat everything

- make sure there's no short-out between mobo & case

- most likely, asus mobos are picky about ram, so try one stick in each slot until it posts & add the 2nd stick in each slot. In my exp, asus am2/c2d manual is wrong: if it suggests yellow slots for dual channel, use the other (black) slots.
February 15, 2007 10:09:10 PM

I fixed that problem...

I didn't connect the 4 pin connector for the CPU. I can now get to BIOS.

Thank you.
!