Antivirus & Firewall Recommendations

sid

I would like to install Win 2k Advanced Server so that I can run Visual
Studio Enterprise Architect & SQL 2k Enterprise. What type of antivirus and
firewall products should I choose for such a configuration? Thanks, in
advance, for your help.

There are various antivirus products available from the likes of Symantec,
McAfee, Trend Micro, Grisoft, etc that work on servers. You can visit their
websites for versions and prices. As far as firewall it depends on if you
want software or hardware firewall. If you can go with Windows 2003 Server
it has a built in ICF firewall like XP does. If you want a hardware
firewall, depending on your needs you might be able to use something like a
Netgear ProSafe firewall starting at under $100 and the sky is the limit
from there. Firewalls from companies like Sonicwall and Netscreen would have
much more advanced logging and more configurable firewall rules including
managing of outbound rules. Those brands can be purchased from under $200
used on Ebay for basic unit that allows ten outbound IP addresses. If you
buy used, be sure to check out the firmware installed to make sure it is
fairly recent as many of those companies do not provide free firmware
upgrades. --- Steve

"Sid" <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to install Win 2k Advanced Server so that I can run Visual
> Studio Enterprise Architect & SQL 2k Enterprise. What type of antivirus
> and
> firewall products should I choose for such a configuration? Thanks, in
> advance, for your help.

sid

Steve,

Thanks for the advice. On the antivirus side, any low-cost favorites out
there? I've checked with Symantec and they seem quite steep. Is this true
for the others? Thanks again for your help:)

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> There are various antivirus products available from the likes of Symantec,
> McAfee, Trend Micro, Grisoft, etc that work on servers. You can visit their
> websites for versions and prices. As far as firewall it depends on if you
> want software or hardware firewall. If you can go with Windows 2003 Server
> it has a built in ICF firewall like XP does. If you want a hardware
> firewall, depending on your needs you might be able to use something like a
> Netgear ProSafe firewall starting at under $100 and the sky is the limit
> from there. Firewalls from companies like Sonicwall and Netscreen would have
> much more advanced logging and more configurable firewall rules including
> managing of outbound rules. Those brands can be purchased from under $200
> used on Ebay for basic unit that allows ten outbound IP addresses. If you
> buy used, be sure to check out the firmware installed to make sure it is
> fairly recent as many of those companies do not provide free firmware
> upgrades. --- Steve
>

> "Sid" <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to install Win 2k Advanced Server so that I can run Visual
> > Studio Enterprise Architect & SQL 2k Enterprise. What type of antivirus
> > and
> > firewall products should I choose for such a configuration? Thanks, in
> > advance, for your help.

I don't have any recommendation offhand for a low price package, hopefully
others will. If your setup could be considered "personal" in that it is not for
profit or business related you may be able to use a personal software package.
You would have to read the agreements at the various vendors websites. Some will
not even install on a server operating system though some publishers have trial
period downloads for evaluation. --- Steve