Unable to Apply Latest Security Patches

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
October 13, 2004 11:09:15 AM

When I tried to install Microsoft's latest patches (MS04-029 through
MS04-038) via Windows Update the process failed. I looked in C:\WINNT\Windows
Update.log and found the relevent entry, which listed error 0x8007F004 and
referred me to "...iuhist.xml for details...". However, iuhist.xml didn't
tell me much more -- just that it had actually failed while trying to install
the cummulative ie patch from MS04-038.

So, I tried downloading the patches manually and applying them, but got the
error "You do not have permission to update Windows 2000. Please contact your
system administrator." However, I am currently logged into Windows 2000 as a
user who is in the Administrators group.

Does anybody have any idea why I would get this kind of error? or what I can
do to try and install these patches? I already tried reinstalling IESP1
(which worked fine), deleting the Windows Update/WUTemp folders and visiting
Windows Update again. Nothing seems to be helping and I am at a loss.

To further the nonsesense, I returned to Windows Update after installing
IESP1 and found that there were now eight updates available, evidently
because I set myself back some by installing IESP1. Here is the result:

The following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click
Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB834707)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841356)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB840987)
Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841533)

These updates are successfully installed:

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353)
Q329115: Security Update (Windows 2000)
823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows
814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Windows 2000,
Windows XP)

*sigh*

Any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 13, 2004 8:26:08 PM

Verify that you are indeed logged on as an administrator. You can use the "
net localgroup administrators " command to find the membership. By default
on a domain computer the domain admins group is in the local administrators
group also but can be removed. I would also add the Windows Update site to
the trusted Web Content Zone on that computer. Lack of appropriate user
rights can also cause failed installs even for administrators if they have
been modified from default. Open Local Security Policy [secpol.msc] and make
sure that administrators have effective setting for the user right for
backup files and directories. You can also use the secedit command as
described in the KB link below to reset security settings to default defined
levels if you continue to have problems. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222 -- note you
can use the /areas switch to restore only certain areas to default defined
settings.

"Zeveck" <Zeveck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I tried to install Microsoft's latest patches (MS04-029 through
> MS04-038) via Windows Update the process failed. I looked in
> C:\WINNT\Windows
> Update.log and found the relevent entry, which listed error 0x8007F004 and
> referred me to "...iuhist.xml for details...". However, iuhist.xml didn't
> tell me much more -- just that it had actually failed while trying to
> install
> the cummulative ie patch from MS04-038.
>
> So, I tried downloading the patches manually and applying them, but got
> the
> error "You do not have permission to update Windows 2000. Please contact
> your
> system administrator." However, I am currently logged into Windows 2000 as
> user who is in the Administrators group.
>
> Does anybody have any idea why I would get this kind of error? or what I
> can
> do to try and install these patches? I already tried reinstalling IESP1
> (which worked fine), deleting the Windows Update/WUTemp folders and
> visiting
> Windows Update again. Nothing seems to be helping and I am at a loss.
>
> To further the nonsesense, I returned to Windows Update after installing
> IESP1 and found that there were now eight updates available, evidently
> because I set myself back some by installing IESP1. Here is the result:

> The following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click
> Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.
>
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
> (KB834707)
> Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841356)
> Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB840987)
> Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841533)

> These updates are successfully installed:
>
> Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353)
> Q329115: Security Update (Windows 2000)
> 823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows
> 814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Windows 2000,
> Windows XP)

> *sigh*
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 9, 2005 3:57:05 PM

Same issue with installing some exchange hotfixes on some of my servers
logged in as either domain or local admin. Other servers it works fine.
Win2k sp3 & sp4. If those accounts don't have permission to update windows
2000, who does :)  Tried the "reset permissions" secedit command from the
article...no luck. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, please post them.

!