All users of my shared family PC get an error message at login that reads:

RUNDLL
Error C:/windows/bs2.dll
The specified module could not be found

I cannot locate what this connects with nor how to remove the problem.
Before doing something drastic like reinstalling WPHome + SP2, I welcome any
advice on how to fix it.

Peter Follett

You have Spyware!

bs2.dll IE Browser Helper Object of adware BookedSpace that is used to
display popup advertisements.

[[BookedSpace is an Internet Explorer Browser Helper Object used to bring
ads to your computer. There are various variants: BookedSpace/Remanent and
BookedSpace/BS2 and BookedSpace/BS3. BookedSpace/Remanent is installed by
MThree MP3 to WAV converter. BookedSpace/BS2 is silently installed by
FreeWire's FreeMP3Player.]]

Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. If you do not have
SP2, get it

First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
perform a particular task.]]

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
particular task.]]

Apply | OK

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
=====

Second. If you need a scan right now.

Follow the instructions!
THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

=====

Third.
It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

1a) CWShredder ver. 2.13 direct download:
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

2) SpywareBlaster
[[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
ever being installed.
The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)

4a) HijackThis (direct download)
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

6) ToolbarCop
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

7) Ad-aware SE Personal

=====

HijackThis log tutorial
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

HijackThis Log Tutorial
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877
=====

MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
=====

Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml

Additional information & instructions.
A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

Spyware and Deceptive Software
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1