Sign in with
Your question

FEAR and ATI Issues... Sick of it!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2007 6:36:32 AM

I have a X1950XT and i use the 7.1 drivers and im am sick and tired of the minor artifacting i get and the around corner stutter and the hiccups. It seems like you have to run around the level to get all the hiccups out???

I heard that the 6.12's are better for FEAR. I even renamed the exe and that really did not help. No the card is not dying. This is the only gme that does this to me. Company of Heros is smooth as butter with everything maxed. My 7900gs made FEAR run like butter.

More about : fear ati issues sick

February 15, 2007 7:52:43 AM

I've had issues with FEAR with my X1900XT, but it was only artifacts occuring on specular surfaces. Resolved with an updated driver. I usually stick to drivers I know work, and only update unless I have to, since usually that works well for me. Maybe you got some settings activated which conflict with the game engine? Try going in catalyst (the bloated POS) and maybe turning off Catalyst A.I.? You know, fiddle with the settings to see if anything works. I found Medieval 2: Total War's campaign map artifacted heavily with Catalyst A.I. on, so by disabling it, I got rid of the problem. If nothing works, go to ATI and go through tech. support to tell them that at least there's a problem they should sort out.

Edit: Oh, and looking at the RAM setup, that could be a point of weakness. 4 seperate RAM modules in one system aren't as good as two larger RAM modules, and probably the problem in FEAR could also be to do with the RAM. Just speculation, but latency issues and known performance hits that 4 modules have could cause the problem. Either that or its the HDD, maybe its performance is below par. Have you defragged it, or ran a diskcheck to see if it has bad sectors?
February 15, 2007 7:52:50 AM

The "around the corner stutter" sounds like your hard disk being accessed and the running around the whole level stuttering until it is all loaded into memory is the same issue would be a guess. I see you have 2 GB RAM, is there anything else that may be grabbing resources? Does your disk access light flicker at these times or perhaps you can hear the hard disk being used? I think F.E.A.R.'s levels are loaded in separate smaller chunks like Halflife 2 for example or pretty much any FPS with large detailed maps. Until HDDs have zero latency and truly massive transfer rates, or you have mucho RAM the stuttering will probably continue.
I haven't noticed artifacting in F.E.A.R. (though I haven't been playing much) with my 1950 pro with the new catalyst drivers, perhaps I'll fire it up later and take a good look around.
Related resources
February 15, 2007 9:13:13 AM

Quote:
I have a X1950XT and i use the 7.1 drivers and im am sick and tired of the minor artifacting i get and the around corner stutter and the hiccups. It seems like you have to run around the level to get all the hiccups out???

(...)My 7900gs made FEAR run like butter.

I have no problems with FEAR and my NVidia 7950GT. Maybe FEAR is a bit like Doom which is somehow pro-NVidia but i'm just speculating here of course.

Check the configuration and temperature on your X1950XT. I get artifacts only when i over-OC the graphic card! :-)
February 15, 2007 9:28:42 AM

Hrmmm
Also got the 1950xt...
Get the latest drivers. 6.14 i think comes with 7.1 catalyst?
Ive only found 1 artifact in the entire FEAR game. 2 sheets of paper on an office wall were jumbled. Otherwise was 100%
Try unistall/reinstall, or even 6.11/12/13
If that doesnt work, then its too much effort 4 me :p 
February 15, 2007 1:07:55 PM

hmmm, i shoudl check this out

I have the 7.1 drivers with my x1950 pro but i havnt played fear in a while, so will check it out today and let you know.
February 16, 2007 4:56:45 AM

Actually i have changed ram im running 2 gigs of buffalo firestix@800 and i have the game running off raid 0

I just reinstalled 7.1 plain ati ones. I was using the warcats before. I will do some testing. Also someone said it could be the sound card but i dont know about that?

EDIT... I thing it may have been the HQ ANSIO setting i un ticked it now the artifacting went away?? FEAR don't like HQ Ansio
February 16, 2007 5:39:26 AM

seconded. I blame my x1950xt. I had stutters and fps drops on every goddamn level of FEAR. Alt+Tabbing to desktop and then coming back helped every time.
February 16, 2007 5:52:43 AM

I get the around the corner stutter too on my 6800GS although it might be thrashing my hard drive, I haven't checked. I have 1GB of RAM so this could be my problem.
February 16, 2007 5:55:20 AM

FEAR runs smooth as silk on my X1950XTX, but, BF2 is a different story.. I blame my 1GB of system memory for that though..

As for the OP's issues, I'd look at what other apps are running that may be causing some system memory IO hiccups.. sounds more like a system bottleneck than a card issue.
February 16, 2007 5:55:25 AM

I have 2 gigs of ram, so I'm pretty sure its not the harddrive that's to blame

edit: then again.. I don't disable emule and dc++ when I run games )) but UT2004 doesn't seem to mind, unlike FEAR
February 16, 2007 8:38:55 AM

I have same issues..x1950pro on 7.1, getting artifacts, stuttering as if i dont have enough ram although i have 2gb.
February 16, 2007 9:00:12 AM

arright

Iv tried the following stuff with my x1950 pro + 2gigs of very old pc2700 ram

All test at 1024x768 (so that i could max every game) with 7.1 drivers (omega driver)

FEAR max settings, 2XAA and 2XAF- No issues
Battlefield 2142 max settings no AA or AF - No issues
Oblivion max in game settings (modified to include more trees and grass) - No issues
Call of duty 2 max settings (DX9) no AA or AF- No issues
Company of heros max settings - No issues
Rainbow six vegas max settings - No issues except that the framerate was around 25 outside

for me so far iv had 0 problems. Might play them again with AA and AF and see what that does (appart from reducing the framerate)
February 16, 2007 2:15:48 PM

FEAR is really anal about ram. It seems that everyone had some sort of problem with the ATI cards with FEAR.
I have 2 gb worth of ram an Opty170 and a EVGA 7900gt. My rez is 1600x1200 and I have all detailes maxed out and I have not experienced such problems with FEAR, and you have a better GFX card than me.
I dont understand :?
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2007 3:04:47 PM

The problems I've had with F.E.A.R. that I thought was video related were actually soundcard/motherboard related I was running a Creative X-FI Extreme Music PCI soundcard and my ASUS M/B at the time didn't like it, cause all kinds of tearing and smearing leading me to think my video was at fault when actually there was nothing wrong with the video at all.

Just threw that in because if a PCI soundcard can cause problems in the game then maybe an onboard soundcard could do the same thing, seems a lot of you have the same problem so its either definitely related to the video card or drivers themselves or maybe comparing hardware notes could lead to a common culprit.
February 16, 2007 4:52:19 PM

I was using the 7.1's and was having a few problems with Oblivion and BF2, changed them out for the 6.11's and everything's gravy now. I've heard of several people who have problems with the 7.1's for some reason.
February 16, 2007 5:39:57 PM

I have a x1950XT with 7.1 drivers. No problems.
Slow sometimes at first, but fast again when lowered AA to 2x.
Also, other max settings seem to run smoother than with lower settings. Strange.
HL2 run flawless, no matter what setting I use.
Want to try Oblivion next (with my newer X1950XT)
February 16, 2007 6:34:44 PM

Quote:
The problems I've had with F.E.A.R. that I thought was video related were actually sound card/motherboard related I was running a Creative X-FI Extreme Music PCI sound card and my ASUS M/B at the time didn't like it, cause all kinds of tearing and smearing leading me to think my video was at fault when actually there was nothing wrong with the video at all.

Just threw that in because if a PCI sound card can cause problems in the game then maybe an on board sound card could do the same thing, seems a lot of you have the same problem so its either definitely related to the video card or drivers themselves or maybe comparing hardware notes could lead to a common culprit.

What if i just turn off the enhanced sound options, or is that not good enough. Also the bottleneck i would doubt that, but i guess you never know I have a core 2 @ 2.8 1600 fsb. maybe different raid array drivers would help. I'm on a ds3 but I'm using the J Micron Drivers instead of the gigabyte ones.
February 16, 2007 9:21:01 PM

are you guys using the regular ATI catalyst drivers??

Im using the omega ones, and i really cant find any problems in any game so far.

i might just be lucky with the card :lol: 
February 16, 2007 11:43:58 PM

im using the standard ATi ones with no CCC.
February 17, 2007 12:04:42 AM

Uninstall it, and use driver cleaner pro to make sure u have nothing left. Then install the omega driver and see if that does anything.
February 17, 2007 5:14:46 AM

Well i tried those, but they would not install. I did change the raid drivers that seemed to stop the hdd lag. The hq ansio is off, but does the quality have to be at 16x to get hq or can i set the hq to run at 8 x ansio. The promblem is if HQ ansio is on the picture has random artifacts. If it is off it runs fine. Its wierd.
February 17, 2007 9:17:44 AM

So am i right in assuming by HQ you mean the high quality AF thats available in catalyst?

Just try it without it and set it to 16X and then try 8X. Nowmally to get a very good gaming image 4X AA and 8X AF are more than enough.
!