HD encryption

Hi there,
I am evaluating some hard disk encryption tools for win32 platform.
Do you know any product or tricks out there which automates
the boot process without preboot authentication?
I tested Drivecrypt and compusec but they haven't these feature
Basically I only need that the windows OS can load its services when
it reboots instead of stopping at preboot stage, I need that this machine
could run unattended.
I think that anyway the disk will remain encrypted and everyone will
still need to know username and password to log into the machine, but
cannot detach the drive and read its data as a slave disk on another
system.
Thank you very much

Since disk encryption affects the entire physical disk, you won't be able to
run unattended. Consider something like EFS instead that encrypts individual
files or folders. Then the OS can boot normally.

Steve Riley
steriley@microsoft.com

"Connect007" <connect007@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I am evaluating some hard disk encryption tools for win32 platform.
> Do you know any product or tricks out there which automates
> the boot process without preboot authentication?
> I tested Drivecrypt and compusec but they haven't these feature
> Basically I only need that the windows OS can load its services when
> it reboots instead of stopping at preboot stage, I need that this machine
> could run unattended.
> I think that anyway the disk will remain encrypted and everyone will
> still need to know username and password to log into the machine, but
> cannot detach the drive and read its data as a slave disk on another
> system.
> Thank you very much

If the disk could boot up and unencrypt itself unattended, then it would
give you zero protection and you might as well not encrypt it at all. You
may want to plan on getting a solution that requires you to authenticate in
some way at bootup.