bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
my hdd keeps on failing - my computer freezes now and then. also in the event viewer i saw an error 55 (ntfs corupted) and warring 51. i tried mounting it on another pc and the result was a nice blue scrren of death :(. any idea about what i could do? the hdd is a western digital 80 GB s-ata 150 (wd800jd)

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Buy a new HD. Seriously, there is next to nothing you can do to try and save the drive, and what you would have to do to save it would not be worth it. Get the data off as fast as possible and on to a new drive.

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Lo mate, but a new HDD; install OS etc. Then attach the failing drive and set it up as secondary master and hope that you can copy data across.

Other than that there is not a lot you can do unless the data is REALLY important in which case you can go see a data recovery company...like the one featured on this website!

M

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
You can run manufacturer's diagnostics, get an error code and RMA the drive.
Spinrite, Getdataback are good recovery software in case you need it.

Good advice. I haven't used those programs but I hear good things. If the drive is failing bad enough (doesn't sound like it is yet) you can check those out. You didn't say how old the drive is but I'm guessing it's beyond the MFR warranty?

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
the hdd is only 1 year old, never been hit or handled improperly. i tried to install windows xp sp2 and right after the setup asks you either to install or to repair windows (when the setup detects the hdd) -- blue screen -- something about ntfs.sys corrupted or damaged. never seen this in my life 8O .
thanks for the support guys.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Ahh... That's what I get for assuming. I figured the low capacity of the drive meant it was old. Have you installed the OS the one time or does it mess up every time you try and install it?

Lazarus7

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I reckon just go c:/format

I've never had anything on my pc that I can't stand to lose, makes life a lot easier if something goes wrong. And with the price of blank dvd's these days if its that important burn it on and lock it up nice and safe

Cheers

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
the problem is that i get a blue screen (error) before i can format the drive.
i don't anything that important on the hdd so the main goal is to get the hdd runnig even if i'dd have to lose all the data. i was thinking about a low level format. could this do the job?

sempron 2800+
k8n-e sk 754
512 kingmax ddr433
radeon 9550

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
It might do the job.

Download knoppix (from http://www.knoppix.org/, or BT from http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/), burn it to disk, boot off the disk and see if it can recognise it.

Linux has better low-level tools than Windows does, especially for this kind of thing.

You may be able to blat the disk and reset it, allowing Windows to see it, you may be able to repartition and reformat it and then use Windows to reformat into FAT/NTFS.

Best of luck!

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
if you have an enclosure and a second computer available, hook up the drive to the pc that way to try and get your data...if it gives you an error run scandisk on the system drive, reboot it let it run throuh, it should pick up the secondary drive...last time I heard western digital dropped their warranty to 1 year, you may still be frelled.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Given the fact that you're getting blue screen errors during Windows setup, before you even format the drive, and blue screen errors in Windows when running from your existing hard drive, tells me you have a hardware problem that doesn't have anything to do with the hard drive.

You have bad memory, a bad motherboard, loose cable, bad/insufficient power supply, improper cooling, etc.

I'd start with Memtest86 to check your RAM overnight. If that passes, I'd then run Prime95 overnight. Those two will reveal any problems with your system.

If those two pass then I'd run your manufacturer's hard disk diagnostic utility for good measure.

Somewhere along the way here with these tests you'll reveal the problem.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
>non hard-drive error

Where does he say he had an error running from his existing hard drive? This *is* his existing hard drive! He said he tried the hard drive in a different machine and it caused a BSOD, but that's not related to his other hardware.

SSS_DDK

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
put it in a machine (beg a friend) with Linux installed and boot the system. Linux does a lot less automatic stuff than windows. Then start the Linux installation CD (this is free stuff, downloadable) and when it gets to the part where it asks you to define your drives (no installation will happen don't worry) just select your hard drive and format it(preferably FAT) . If it succeeds then you can use your disk to install whatever you need(be sure to interrupt the installation process right after formatting).

An easier way would be to use Fdisk, it's a little DOS program that can low level diagnostic and erase your disk..but you need to have an idea as to how to define main partitions and extended partitions (with trial and error you can make it...probably)

harry_callahan

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Since you have no data on the drive, run diagnostics, get error code, rma drive, get new drive, install OS, quit wasting everybodies time!!!! :x

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
You're partly right. He got a blue screen when he put the hard drive in another computer (probably stop 0x0000007b / inaccessible boot device) because his hard drive didn't have chipset drivers for the machine he put it in.

But, he did say he was getting errors in his first post (error 51 & 55) when running his previous Windows installation off that hard drive. By itself, those errors point to a possible hard drive problem, but then he said later that he was getting errors during Windows setup (ntfs.sys corrupted or damaged), when he had booted off the CD. This indicates a problem that's broader in scope than just the hard drive.

Thus, that's why I suggested a comprehensive battery of tests to isolate where the faulty component is.

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
in case i didn't make myself clear: no pc can boot into windows if my hdd is mounted on it, be it as boot disk or secundary disk. bios can detect the hdd with no problem. the problems appear while booting windows. i tried to format the disk but when i tried i only got a blue screen and was unable to finish the task. what i want to know is what i could do to fix it in case the firm who sold me the hdd sais it will not exchage it with a new hdd.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
SomeJoe - the problem occurs when his hard drive is picked up in the install process. Hence, the problem is with the hard drive. My suspicion is that the disk is claiming it's NTFS formatted but actually has lost some of the NTFS info, and hence there's a good chance if he can low-level format the drive he can replace the ntfs system information.

It might be a bad sector (in the worst possible place) in which case he can't do much about it, but you can't assume it's other problem related when it's so clearly hard-drive driven!

harry_callahan

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Contact Western Digital on the web and follow instructions for the possiablity of returning the drive for defective replacement "RMA" under warranty as stated in my first "Pointless" post. I myself spend the $15US to extend the warranty to 3yrs. Saves alot of headaches and $$$

Good Luck,

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I think it's generally a good idea to stop using a drive that you believe is failing until you have some sort of recovery strategy in place... generally this would mean installing an OS on a new drive or perhaps finding a host computer to connect to the drive to. Just trying random crap on a dying drive is wasting valuable time... at some point all of the data on the drive may be lost. The less you use it, the more likely you'll have something there to recover.

thexder1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
the hdd is only 1 year old, never been hit or handled improperly. i tried to install windows xp sp2 and right after the setup asks you either to install or to repair windows (when the setup detects the hdd) -- blue screen -- something about ntfs.sys corrupted or damaged. never seen this in my life Shocked .
thanks for the support guys.

Welcome to WD I have had too many of their drives do similar things so I don't buy any of their drives. also chances are if you listen you might hear a clicking noise when the drive is trying to be read. This is referred to as "the click of death" it will cause your computer to stall, blue screens, or just take an extremely long time to access anything.