  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
October 14, 2004 1:29:07 PM

It has been suggested by members of the Microsoft Security team that I not
give my wirkstations users local admin rights. I am in the process of making
this change and I have one problem. We require the users to defrag their
workstations bi-monthly and Windows 2000 requires that they have amin rights.
I have tried giving them full rights to the short cuts to deafrg as well as
the exe file itself. I still get the same message that they must have admin
rights to run defrag. How do I keep my users at user leavel access but give
them the ability to run defrag on their workstations?

More about : defraggin windows 2000 pro

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 14, 2004 9:21:44 PM

Unfortunately you can't. They either will need to be logged on as a local
administrator or know local administrator credentials. This is explained in
the link below. Windows XP Pro has fixed that I believe with a command line
option, but it will not work on W2K. The last link is a possible workaround
with a freeware tool AutoDefrag that works in a similar way that XP allows.
I have not tried it myself. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;231176
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBQ/tip8400/rh8414.htm

"Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It has been suggested by members of the Microsoft Security team that I not
> give my wirkstations users local admin rights. I am in the process of
> making
> this change and I have one problem. We require the users to defrag their
> workstations bi-monthly and Windows 2000 requires that they have amin
> rights.
> I have tried giving them full rights to the short cuts to deafrg as well
> as
> the exe file itself. I still get the same message that they must have
> admin
> rights to run defrag. How do I keep my users at user leavel access but
> give
> them the ability to run defrag on their workstations?
October 14, 2004 11:58:10 PM

"=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

I suggest Dirms & Buzzsaw http://www.dirms.com/
!