Defraggin in windows 2000 Pro

It has been suggested by members of the Microsoft Security team that I not
give my wirkstations users local admin rights. I am in the process of making
this change and I have one problem. We require the users to defrag their
workstations bi-monthly and Windows 2000 requires that they have amin rights.
I have tried giving them full rights to the short cuts to deafrg as well as
the exe file itself. I still get the same message that they must have admin
rights to run defrag. How do I keep my users at user leavel access but give
them the ability to run defrag on their workstations?
2 answers Last reply
More about defraggin windows 2000

    Unfortunately you can't. They either will need to be logged on as a local
    administrator or know local administrator credentials. This is explained in
    the link below. Windows XP Pro has fixed that I believe with a command line
    option, but it will not work on W2K. The last link is a possible workaround
    with a freeware tool AutoDefrag that works in a similar way that XP allows.
    I have not tried it myself. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;231176
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBQ/tip8400/rh8414.htm

    "=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > It has been suggested by members of the Microsoft Security team
    > that I not give my wirkstations users local admin rights. I am in
    > the process of making this change and I have one problem. We
    > require the users to defrag their workstations bi-monthly and
    > Windows 2000 requires that they have amin rights.
    > I have tried giving them full rights to the short cuts to deafrg
    > as well as
    > the exe file itself. I still get the same message that they must
    > have admin rights to run defrag. How do I keep my users at user
    > leavel access but give them the ability to run defrag on their
    > workstations?

    I suggest Dirms & Buzzsaw http://www.dirms.com/

Security Windows 2000 Defragment Microsoft Windows