Setting the Switch STB

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 23, 2004 3:25:28 PM

I have been leaving my STB set at 1080, and am thinking would I be
better to leave it at 720 ?

I don't think anyone is putting out that 1080.

Green Bay area Wi.

More about : setting switch stb

July 23, 2004 8:46:10 PM

"Joe H" <JoeT@mailpuppy.com> wrote in message
> I have been leaving my STB set at 1080, and am thinking would I be
> better to leave it at 720 ?
>
> I don't think anyone is putting out that 1080.
>
> Green Bay area Wi.

Only ABC and ESPN with Fox coming soon are 720p. Other HD channels, the
great majority of programming, are 1080i.

Most CRT TVs only do 1080i HD while LCD, DLP, and Plasma tend toward 720p or
768p natively.

The bottom line is to use what you like best. Be aware that a lot of CRT
sets cannot even display 720p.

Pat
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 8:46:11 PM

I should have Mentioned, I had a LCD the 540V500A Hatichi.

I noticed they must forget to throw the swith sometimes after a commercial,
as it comes back as 4.3.
I can here the 'Pop' for sound when ig go from HD to 4.3 from the speakers,
or my Samsung 351 OTA, but nothing I can do about it if they don't flip it
back on.
It's funny though, if the analog Tv in the Dinning room is on, the HD
sound is always a second or two behind on the HD one, it has a echo.

"Greywolf" <greywolfin45@*spamisbad*sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> "Joe H" <JoeT@mailpuppy.com> wrote in message
> > I have been leaving my STB set at 1080, and am thinking would I be
> > better to leave it at 720 ?
> >
> > I don't think anyone is putting out that 1080.
> >
> > Green Bay area Wi.
> >
> Only ABC and ESPN with Fox coming soon are 720p. Other HD channels, the
> great majority of programming, are 1080i.
>
> Most CRT TVs only do 1080i HD while LCD, DLP, and Plasma tend toward 720p
or
> 768p natively.
>
> The bottom line is to use what you like best. Be aware that a lot of CRT
> sets cannot even display 720p.
>
> Pat

Related resources
July 24, 2004 2:08:01 PM

Since your set can't display 1080, it's a moot point. It will max out at
720 most likely and downconvert any 1080 signal to that.

> I should have Mentioned, I had a LCD the 540V500A Hatichi.
>
> I noticed they must forget to throw the swith sometimes after a
commercial,
> as it comes back as 4.3.
> I can here the 'Pop' for sound when ig go from HD to 4.3 from the
speakers,
> or my Samsung 351 OTA, but nothing I can do about it if they don't flip it
> back on.
> It's funny though, if the analog Tv in the Dinning room is on, the HD
> sound is always a second or two behind on the HD one, it has a echo.
>
> "Greywolf" <greywolfin45@*spamisbad*sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > "Joe H" <JoeT@mailpuppy.com> wrote in message
> > > I have been leaving my STB set at 1080, and am thinking would I be
> > > better to leave it at 720 ?
> > >
> > > I don't think anyone is putting out that 1080.
> > >
> > > Green Bay area Wi.
> > >
> > Only ABC and ESPN with Fox coming soon are 720p. Other HD channels, the
> > great majority of programming, are 1080i.
> >
> > Most CRT TVs only do 1080i HD while LCD, DLP, and Plasma tend toward
720p
> or
> > 768p natively.
> >
> > The bottom line is to use what you like best. Be aware that a lot of CRT
> > sets cannot even display 720p.
> >
> > Pat

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:48:07 PM

MR. Curmudgeon:

That is about the 3rd time you have said my Hitachi 50V500A will not DISPLAY
1080, I think you better pull you head out of the sand and read what my set
my do, what are you selling a different brand !

Mine from the book here as I type will display 1080i and also do it in PIP,
or even in SPLIT SCREEN. It will also, do a FREEZE in PIP or SPLIT, but will
not strobe.

!