Arctic Silver 5 Uses

freak1982

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Ok so I can use AS5 on my processor.

What about my Northbridge and Graphics card (and RAM chips).

Not planning on overclocking just want everything to be cool and reliable?

See my sig for system details.

Freak1982

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I also used it on my GPU as well when replacing the stock cooler with an Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer one.

I've used it for the north bridge too, certainly wont do any harm.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
The answer to your question is yes you can use it on your other parts, though I would not put it on the ram chips as you could increase chance of contact with the PCB and that may or may not end up so good. But as said earlier if not OC'ing you will not boast much gain from the xtra work. I work to performance ratio just isnt there.

Best,

3Ball

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Well he specifically said he didnt want to oc either way. It will cool things down some, which is what he said he wanted.

As for the goal is making things more reliable, are you having reliability issues?

freak1982

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Reliability wise there are a few random issues. Every so often the PC restarts itself before getting to the login screen (could be over heating i suppose).

And sometime when i switch on my headset it cuts power and restarts. I thnk these are more power issues tho. I just unplug a couple of USB things, camera and PDA.

I just have this tube and wouldnt mind using it before it dries up.

I think the northbridge as this is passive on my board and the 7900GTO, I meant the RAM chips on this not my main memory. As long As i am careful not to put too much I should be ok right?

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Yup, you should be just fine.

As for the reliability issues, the arctic silver almost definitely wont help I'm afraid.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I would definitely not recommend putting AS5 under the Northbridge passive heatsink if you are not overclocking. The default thermal paste is an adhesive. AS5 is loose. Most boards do not have the heatsink securely latched to the chips - less than a pound of lateral force and you can create an air gap which can permanently ruin the chipset, as this is akin to running a CPU without a heatsink, only without thermal protection.

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
He has a good point, I have only ever had northbridge heatsinks held down by clamps, if yours is not, then AS5 is not a good idea!

freak1982

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Its a bit rude to assume I will screw it up.

but your right I prob will!! I think my northbridge is on by the LGA775 style push through clips.

I think the CPU is gonna be the only one. Maybe I can use it at work we will always need new paste.

Thanks for your help guys.

freak1982

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I am thinking on Saturday I will take off the northbridge and have a look how tight it is. Dont want to screw it up too much. Although it would give me a reason to update everything again with a core 2 duo!!

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I use AS5 on my Processor, northbridge, GPU and the onboard from of the gfx card. I use it on every chip I can see benefiting from the silver paste, even If you arent OC, its a good idea to scrape off the stock thermal paste and put some of your own Silver :D
Remember only use a small amount, a grain of rice size on the CPU, and you can figure out the rest.
A cool computer is a happy computer :wink:

freak1982

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Thanks bluntside

I always thought that. as long as it is no bother to do. Whats the harm in using it everywhere.

On my CPU i did a grain on both the cooler and CPU do I only need to do one? I use a clean plastic bag and an old credit card to spead it around is this a good method?

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I didn't notice anyone pointing out one quirk, AS5 isn't thermal paste so it won't stick any coolers in place. Make sure that they are attached to the parts via something or else they will all fall off. But can be used on anything as long as you don't get it on contacts or the pcb boards

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Typically its just the one grain you need. But hey, even rice comes in different sizes :p

Personally, I usually put on one grain, and then simulate mounting if possible (ie put the heatsink on and apply a tiny bit of pressure but dont clamp it), then i take it off and see how well the compound has spread. If some areas are still bare i add a tiny amount there. Lots of people use credit cards though, so I think you're in decent company there.

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Actually Wr pointed out that AS5 isnt adhesive, so I think Freak1982 knows not to use it in places where the current thermal compound is keeping things in place. :)

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Just use it on your processor, by applying it to your processor and heatsink, you are already using too much.
That method seems to work the best with everyone I know.
What I do, is apply a tid amount on the pcu, then I plas seran wrap on my finger, press my finger on the paste on the pcu and speard it out evenly, is seems that the heat given off my finger seems to make my paste more flexible in spreading.