Sign in with
Your question

8800 gts Luckiest Bloke in the wrold this week

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2007 9:58:36 AM

Ok this is the situation I don`t care wether you believe me or not but seriously its happend check my earlier post. Ok I recently purchased a new PC "not telling you the name of the company I dont want them knocking on my door to get the card back" with twin 7950 gt`s but I was advised to change it to a single 8800 gts through the TOMS forums "like I say check earlier post" as it was cheaper and better than the twin cards. However when it turned up they have mistakenly installed twin 8800 GTS cards instead of the single card they were supposed to. Yes I am seriously happy about this as the invoice reflect I only paid for a single card :D  . NOW the problem is will my PSU power the 2 cards? I have a PSU: Hiper Type-M SLI/Crossfire Ready 580 Watt Power Supply maximum load of 620watts will this PSU power them or not?

For all those wondering did I struggle with the moral dillema :roll: ? Pfffft don`t be silly :lol: 
February 15, 2007 10:37:55 AM

First off that is just too sweet that you got two of those card by someones mistake. I would say the psu would be able to power them just barely, but I could be wrong. If you are uncertian try running it just with one card untill you can get a powerful psu.
February 15, 2007 11:08:59 AM

IMO I think that PSU won't handle those 8800's well, but always you could try and test them with 3dmark, to check your scores. But if you ask me, I would tell you that 700W is the minimum PSU to handle a pair of 8800's. I have just 1 8800GTS and my PSU is 600W.

You can go to THIS site and do a small calculation of your requirement. Unfortunately they don't have the 8800GTS included, but you can select the GTX and assume a little bit less of power. I ran a small calculation (assuming a regular home system) and I got a result of 568W, but you have to take in place the fact that the efficiency of the PSU's are always around 75% of the wattage it shows.

Anyway, we have some PSU's experts here like mpilchfamily, who could clarify this point a little bit more.

Oh and another thing, the downside of this situation is that if one of those cards have to be replaced, they will replace it for a 7950...
February 15, 2007 11:20:26 AM

From the Hiper website it looks like your PSU has 360 watts across the 12 volt rails, which would come out to 30 amps. I'll let the experts tell you if that is enough for dual 8800GTS. I wouldn't think it is enough.

Hiper link: http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4m580.ht...
February 15, 2007 11:41:55 AM

I wouldn't trust the power supply it is only rated for 30A on the 12v rails combined and Nvidia recommend 26A for one GTS and the system with it (CPU, ram, hard disk and so on)
I would recommend you get something like the thermaltake toughpower 750W cable management it would have enough power to provide stable power to your system (has 60A on 4 12V rails combined)
I have a thermaltake toughpower 750W cable management and it has performed flawlessly since i got in december.
February 15, 2007 12:19:09 PM

Lucky bugger! :wink:
February 15, 2007 12:37:20 PM

What would you do if the shoe was on the other foot and they sent you only one 7950gt and charged you for the 8800gts? You would be up in arms about how stupid the company is and expect retribution immediately. But, since they erred you somehow feel it is your right to keep something you didn't pay for. What are you going to do when they realize they are one card short at the end of the month and trace it back to you? Lie to them and tell them you only received one. This isn't about morals or laws, its about not being an asshat when someone makes a mistake. This isn't a multi billion corporation you are stealing from, this is a mom and pop shop with paper thin margins. And bragging about the fact that you stole a video card on a popular hardware sites forum just shows the true type of person you are. What goes around comes around, so I imagine it will only be a couple of days before something goes wrong with your computer and you have to send it back for repairs. Show the world you aren't scum and do the right thing.
February 15, 2007 12:45:25 PM

Quote:
Lucky bugger! :wink:

So the best idea would be to take it out and sell it for 200 pound then? because there is no way in hell my wife will allow me to spend another 100 or so pound on a PSU due to the fact i`ve just shelled out 1200 on this one fair enough it was their mistake installing 2 cards but the PSU I got originally was only supposed to power 1 card
February 15, 2007 12:52:01 PM

You wont be able to run the system with 2 so yeah you should take it out of the system but what you do with it is up to you.
February 15, 2007 12:52:07 PM

IMHO you should contact the seller and return second card or pay for it... Otherwise some poor tech. guy will have it charged from his salary.
February 15, 2007 12:54:33 PM

Fair point by 'weuntouchable'.

That said, if businesses make mistakes they expect the customer to do a lot of the work to correct it (numerous phone calls, waiting around for parts, sending things back through to the post, etc)

On the balance of probability that a lot of bad things will happen in all our lives, which will never be balanced out by an equal number of good things, I don't think anyone should be in a rush to tip the scales so heavily back in the wrong direction!
February 15, 2007 12:59:38 PM

Quote:
This isn't a multi billion corporation you are stealing from, this is a mom and pop shop with paper thin margins. And bragging about the fact that you stole a video card on a popular hardware sites forum just shows the true type of person you are.
Err yes it is a big corporation its HUGE in the US it is also BIG here in the UK it probably wouldnt make the slightest dent in their profit margin as for saying JUST SHOWS WHAT TYPE OF PERSON YOU ARE who are you to judge me? Osama loved his family and his kids DOES that make him a good person? I work damned hard to make a living for my family I dont smoke and very rarely drink but because someone makes a mistake and I dont own up that makes me a bad person. There are murderers rapists & drug dealers out there you wanna judge someone judge them not me pffffft is all I can say.
February 15, 2007 1:01:03 PM

He's just jealious cause you got a free card lol.

If they can make a mistake like that, then just imagine all the wrong mistakes they make that don't go good for customers, serves them right :) 
February 15, 2007 1:05:03 PM

Corvus, if you're at a loss to know what to do with your second GTS would you be interested in 'renting out' the card for a month or so? Mid-April I would return it to you (when I can get the R600) and by then you could get your hands on a 700W+ PSU.

Going to build a new system to play Supreme Commander (current system can't do it) but need a card to fill the gap in-between the release of the game and the R600.
February 15, 2007 1:10:45 PM

Quote:
He's just jealious cause you got a free card lol.

If they can make a mistake like that, then just imagine all the wrong mistakes they make that don't go good for customers, serves them right :) 

I have computer company and I can get any hardware I want, why would I be jealous of anyone? It would be best if you wouldnt judge others by your personality, since we dont think in the same way.

From experience I know tech. people (as everyone else) makes mistakes, in every company policy is to correct them in the best way possible so customer wouldnt be harmed, but road goes both ways. If customer is arrogant thief, such guy have no right to ask different approach from the company.
February 15, 2007 1:20:39 PM

Quote:
This isn't a multi billion corporation you are stealing from, this is a mom and pop shop with paper thin margins. And bragging about the fact that you stole a video card on a popular hardware sites forum just shows the true type of person you are.
Err yes it is a big corporation its HUGE in the US it is also BIG here in the UK it probably wouldnt make the slightest dent in their profit margin as for saying JUST SHOWS WHAT TYPE OF PERSON YOU ARE who are you to judge me? Osama loved his family and his kids DOES that make him a good person? I work damned hard to make a living for my family I dont smoke and very rarely drink but because someone makes a mistake and I dont own up that makes me a bad person. There are murderers rapists & drug dealers out there you wanna judge someone judge them not me pffffft is all I can say.
I only know you based off of what you posted here, and I'm not saying you are necessarily a bad person. I'm saying that you are a thief if you keep the card. When you tell the world you are a thief on a forum like this you open yourself up to judgment from other people. You stole the card plain and simple. You are a thief. Call it capitalizing on another's error or anything else that makes you sleep better at night.
February 15, 2007 1:23:20 PM

He certainly didn't steal it so I can't see how he can be called a thief; I also don't believe it should be his responsibility to resolve the company's mistake. He entered into an agreement which the company failed to meet; I don't believe he has any obligation to spend his time resolving this issue, especially when the confusion that may result from such an action may lead to further complications later.

+ Remember my earlier belief, on the balance of probability that a lot of bad things will happen in all our lives, which will never be balanced out by an equal number of good things, I don't think anyone should be in a rush to tip the scales so heavily back in the wrong direction!
February 15, 2007 1:31:14 PM

Quote:
He certainly didn't steal it so I can't see how he can be called a thief; I also don't believe it should be his responsibility to resolve the company's mistake. He entered into an agreement which the company failed to meet; I don't believe he has any obligation to spend his time resolving this issue, especially when the confusion that may result from such an action may lead to further complications later.

+ Remember my earlier belief, on the balance of probability that a lot of bad things will happen in all our lives, which will never be balanced out by an equal number of good things, I don't think anyone should be in a rush to tip the scales so heavily back in the wrong direction!

There is active and passive wrong doing, as you should know. He did passive stealing, which isnt the same as active stealing, but its marginal difference.

About your earlier post - goodness in the world starts from us, you cant expect fairer world while being not honest person yourself.
February 15, 2007 1:34:55 PM

Quote:
IMHO you should contact the seller and return second card or pay for it... Otherwise some poor tech. guy will have it charged from his salary.

LMAO! That is probably the funniest thing I heard today! Screw the company. It's their problem. I truly doubt that some guy will even confess to installing two by accident anyway.

So, what I say is enjoy the extra horsepower at the expense of some n00blets incompetence. If you really can't cope with the guilt, I will be more than happy to take one card of your hands. I can look after it for you if you want. Let me know. :wink:
February 15, 2007 2:22:21 PM

In principle Harrison you can't be faulted, but I believe it is only legitimate to behave in such a way if we are assured that those that benefit from our benevolence merit such a reward. I would be reasonably confident that any large IT company short changes their customers in some small way when they can get away with it, arguably the fact that they are profit based means they are screwing people over from the start....but I'm not here to extol the virtues of Communism.

That said, the core of Communism is founded on the basis that we move to a system where people don't exploit one another...history has proven that human nature is unfortunately far from such a state of development and it is ultimately unrewarding for society as a whole to act in such a simplistic manor.

Going horribly overboard now, so to keep it simple again, Corvus had a bit of good fortune, I think he should enjoy it, a principled life may get you into heaven, but I would rather be a lovable scoundrel in life :) 
February 15, 2007 2:22:41 PM

And people wonder why companies insist on copy protection, all the red tape and legal crap that goes into sales and returns, draconian EULA's.

We all bitch that they are intrusive, unfair, and make a stable system harder to come by.
Some of us throw triades when someone takes advantage of us, and take joy when we can turn the tides.
Some of us see no problem ripping someone else's album for our own use, Some of us see no problems installing our friends games on our computer so we don't have to pay for it.

At the end of the day, we bring it on ourselves.

If you wonder why DPM exists, look no further than some of the people on this forum.

My own experiance shows that the odds are 40% that when notified that you received something extra, the company thanks you for letting them know and they hope you enjoy the extra stuff because they don't want the hassle of getting it back and into inventory. 60% of the time they send a call tag for it.

What are you going to do when you send your system back for repair and they void your warrenty for modifying your system after the fact? As far as they are concerned, you added the card later. You can try to explain that they messed up and added the card by mistake. Then they are going to wonder why you didn't say anything and void your warrenty anyway.

I guess you can hide it further by pulling the card out and plugging the hole. I just hope they don't notice the cover is different or the power cable dangling there where it used to be.
February 15, 2007 2:28:37 PM

Interesting range of opinions. :wink:
February 15, 2007 2:29:07 PM

Quote:
In principle Harrison you can't be faulted, but I believe it is only legitimate to behave in such a way if we are assured that those that benefit from our benevolence merit such a reward. I.........
a principled life may get you into heaven, but I would rather be a lovable scoundrel in life :) 

Wouldn't it be better if you assumed they deserved it? At least you know you can hold the high ground when someone else cheats you. Otherwise you are griping about someone doing the same things you do. I have no respect for that.

You scoundrel you :) 
February 15, 2007 2:46:58 PM

:p 

The bible says "an eye for an eye"....if the holy book that preaches love and good will to all men says that then....well....that is good enough for an agnostic like me :) 
February 15, 2007 2:49:31 PM

So if I was to give this card back I would probably have to pay the shipping costs and like xanthippus states profit based companys screw us all the time I will probably have to pay a restocking fee. NOT only that but the poor person who put together my system will probaly end up in deep S**T I mean it aint a low end card so they arent going to be too amused about it which in turn could lose them their job. So to give this card back I will more than likely end up out of pocket get no thanks for it and very possibly lose someone their job. Now I`m not saying this just to try and justify myself I have been burgled in the past and also had my bike stolen YEAH!!! it pissed me off and I never got any thing back, but then I worked for it I payed for it this is a huge company pulling in more money a year than most of us will ever see in a lifetime do I feel bad no if they realise and ask for it back then yes if they pay all costs I will gladly send it back but until then I will keep it safe for them :D 
February 15, 2007 2:59:07 PM

February 15, 2007 3:12:44 PM

Im with you on this Corv, take that awesome graphic card and run the beauty's side by side.

I SAY ITS A GIFT FROM GOD!!

Use them well ya lucky bastard!
February 15, 2007 3:13:53 PM

Quote:
Im with you on this Corv, take that awesome graphic card and run the beauty's side by side.

I SAY ITS A GIFT FROM GOD!!

Use them well ya lucky bastard!

LMAO I knew I had a freind out there somewhere
February 15, 2007 3:14:07 PM

Kaotao :) 
February 15, 2007 3:14:23 PM

Quote:
So if I was to give this card back I would probably have to pay the shipping costs and like xanthippus states profit based companys screw us all the time I will probably have to pay a restocking fee. NOT only that but the poor person who put together my system will probaly end up in deep S**T I mean it aint a low end card so they arent going to be too amused about it which in turn could lose them their job. So to give this card back I will more than likely end up out of pocket get no thanks for it and very possibly lose someone their job. Now I`m not saying this just to try and justify myself I have been burgled in the past and also had my bike stolen YEAH!!! it pissed me off and I never got any thing back, but then I worked for it I payed for it this is a huge company pulling in more money a year than most of us will ever see in a lifetime do I feel bad no if they realise and ask for it back then yes if they pay all costs I will gladly send it back but until then I will keep it safe for them :D 

I am sorry, but this is a complete justification. Do you know what would happen? They would either a) Tell you to keep the card, their mistake, thank you for admiting it so they can keep accurate records, or b) Thank you for being honest, and send you out a selfaddressed prepaid courier package asking you to send it back. You telling yourself they would make you pay for shipping AND restocking is just self delusion.

People treat corporations like they are just some huge, faceless, entity, and therefor it is OK to steal their money. The fact is, the money comes from somewhere, investors, employees, etc, people will be getting screwed by your actions. Sure, you can justify it by thinking of how little each actual person is being screwed, but again, that is justification. If I stole a penny from every person in the world, I would be a damned rich man, and people would hardly miss it, but I am still stealing.

I am not telling you to return the card or not, that is your call, I just don't think you are being truthful in your justifications. For every winner there is a loser, business is a zero sum game. If you keep the card, just admit to yourself that you have won, and other people have lost, and your victory was not entirely on a solid moral foundation.
February 15, 2007 3:20:37 PM

OK OK OK...... I`m an immoral prick!!! like it or lump it no more post please LOL
February 15, 2007 3:24:01 PM

People call me the Budda as i am a highly religious man.... Should the man accidently or from the great power above receive one extra item within his order it is the company's decision to trace and retrieve this item!!

If a damn stupid company makes a damn stupid mistake........ Laugh and ENJOY!
February 15, 2007 3:27:09 PM

In the interest of fairness I agree with what Gilthanass says. They would not make you pay for sending the card back, and you should not accept that as a valid argument.

My position rested on the fact that their mistake will cost you your time if you decide to inform them / they then ask to have it sent back, with the small possibility that the internal paperwork this creates causes further confusion later on which you have to spend time resolving.

A person's time is a commodity, I know I treasure mine (typing messages regarding other peoples moral dilemmas provides important relaxation) :) 
February 15, 2007 3:29:50 PM

Legally, they have nothing on you. I'm not sure they even have the rights to ask back for it. They can't get away with voiding your warranty for modifying and neither can they for not telling them. All you need to do is threaten a lawsuit, since their actions would be unjustified.

Morally, the right thing to do would be calling them and returning only if they make it hassle free with no expense and little inconvenience on your part. Their mistake, they have to clean it up.

In the end, do what you are content with. Do the right thing and feel good about it or keep it and hope karma doesn't exist.
February 15, 2007 3:36:56 PM

Quote:
Fair point by 'weuntouchable'.

That said, if businesses make mistakes they expect the customer to do a lot of the work to correct it (numerous phone calls, waiting around for parts, sending things back through to the post, etc)

On the balance of probability that a lot of bad things will happen in all our lives, which will never be balanced out by an equal number of good things, I don't think anyone should be in a rush to tip the scales so heavily back in the wrong direction!

Agreed. If you got your computer with a 7950 instead of an 8800, you'd have to spend hours of your time to get it corrected, if they even believed you. In this case the mistake doesn't hurt you, so let them take care of it, if they want to. I wouldn't go out of your way, but if they figure it out and ask for it back, send it back.

It's a certainty that during your lifetime you are going to get screwed by poor service many more times than you are going to get hooked up. Enjoy it while you can.
February 15, 2007 3:38:50 PM

What goes around comes around... I used to clean rental cars and I found 1000 kroner (currency here in Denmark) once, pocketed it and laughed all the way to the bank. The next day, I accidentally left my Oakley Juliette sungalsses (worth about 2500 kroner) on a train. Of course, when I caught up with the train, they were gone...

Lost a pound and found a penny indeed...
February 15, 2007 3:39:19 PM

Even if Karma does exist, the life of a dung beetle is usually no more then 6 months :) 

Your 2nd 8800 GTS card will provide happiness for longer then that!
February 15, 2007 3:45:44 PM

Quote:
So if I was to give this card back I would probably have to pay the shipping costs and like xanthippus states profit based companys screw us all the time I will probably have to pay a restocking fee. NOT only that but the poor person who put together my system will probaly end up in deep S**T I mean it aint a low end card so they arent going to be too amused about it which in turn could lose them their job. So to give this card back I will more than likely end up out of pocket get no thanks for it and very possibly lose someone their job.

You just define the second law of thermodynamics (entropy/chaos is always increasing) and by not doing the above procedure, you are violating the laws of NATURE!!

I would've done the same. You, sir, are truly a lucky bloke. :) 

Edit: my first post ever since i started hanging out THG about 5 years ago, one thread made me join 1 yr ago so that i can pm, this one forced me to reply...
February 15, 2007 3:53:44 PM

Please choose the right and be honest. You'll feel better! :) 

This world is in need of more people who choose to do what's right, in spite of what can be justified as "fair".

I've lost a lot of respect for a lot of posters in this thread today. :( 
February 15, 2007 4:04:23 PM

Quote:
Legally, they have nothing on you. I'm not sure they even have the rights to ask back for it. They can't get away with voiding your warranty for modifying and neither can they for not telling them. All you need to do is threaten a lawsuit, since their actions would be unjustified.

Morally, the right thing to do would be calling them and returning only if they make it hassle free with no expense and little inconvenience on your part. Their mistake, they have to clean it up.

In the end, do what you are content with. Do the right thing and feel good about it or keep it and hope karma doesn't exist.

Legally he stole the card the second he noticed that he got something more than he paid for. If the bank ATM gives you $200 when you took out $20 from your account are you free to take the money? Its theft any way you try to explain or justify it. He did not pay for the second card and by not reporting to the company that he received it, he has now stolen it. If the warranty is voided by modifying the hardware, than he accepts that his warranty is now void by keeping the card. He has no legal grounds to stand on in either case. Chances are the company will discover they are short in inventory and may even trace it back to him. They may choose to just write off the loss rather than waste the time and money trying to get the card back. Local law enforcement is probably not scouring the pages of this forum, so he probably won't be charged with theft. It all comes back to what type of person do you want to show the world you are? The type that believes its ok to take something that isn't yours in certain instances, or the type that does the right thing in all instances.
February 15, 2007 4:10:45 PM

Quote:

Just thought I would add, your comment about the warranty depends completely on the warranty. If it states he cannot change the hardware, and states what hte hardware is (likely) it is void as of now. Legally speaking the company has a contract stating his computer has X Y and Z in it, if it does not, it is his responsibility to let the company know. If something goes wrong down the line and he tries to use "they screwed up" as an excuse for why his case has more video cards than are on the contract, he will be laughed out of court.

Again, not saying what to do or not do; however, legally speaking, I am pretty sure you are wrong.

Edit: you can alway try the "but I swear I didn't know" defence. That might work for a PS, or even a mother board, but trying to convince someone that you didn't notice there were 2 graphics cards in your case (as you are the type of person that orders an ultra high end graphics card) might be a little challenging.
February 15, 2007 4:44:38 PM

Quote:
If the bank ATM gives you $200 when you took out $20 from your account are you free to take the money?

Yes. If we aren't talking morals, there isn't really a reason he can't. Let me give you an example - say a man walks up to you and gives you a hundred dollar bill without explenation. The next day, he comes around and demands you give him a hundred dollars. Since he gave it to you, without any (not even verbal) agreement of repayment, it is essentially a gift. If he sued, he wouldn't win.

Please, at least put a little effort towards trying to speak objective (and no, i'm not implying that i am fully objective).

Quote:
Legally speaking the company has a contract stating his computer has X Y and Z in it, if it does not, it is his responsibility to let the company know.

Yes, and companies usually enforce this by making it apparant if the computer has been opened and tempered with. If that is the case and it hasn't been opened, they will likely have to take all the responsibility. Creating a wrong contract can also be counted as negligence of the business.

Negligence as defense may work. There are large quantities of people who have enough disposable income to buy the best thing, without having a clue on how to properly operate these things, let alone technical side. Do you honestly think that companies who sell top of the line systems for $5,000 don't get stupid questions on their customer support lines?

Honestly, we can argue this back and forth, but how many of us are lawyers? I might fly this by a friend who is, just to see what the deal on this would be.

[If you've got something burning you up that you wish to tell me, best PM, I might not check back on this thread]
February 15, 2007 4:46:16 PM

I like how that guys trying to turn it into a moral dilemna, but if the same thing happened to him he knows he would keep the cards and sit at home laughing his ass off like EVERYONE else. :) 

Buy ya i wondering about hte PSU requirements aswell since i am looking to SLI my GTS sometime down the road. I got 650 watt.
February 15, 2007 4:48:17 PM

Guys, he didn't steal anything. They gave it to him. It's not the same. It is the consumer's option to report mistakes of the vendor, it is not an obligation.

Errors in favor of the vendor have a very inefficient path to force improvement in the vendor's process. Basically the only impetus to this change is customer complaints.

Errors in favor of the consumer will force a much faster improvement in order accuracy by the vendor. They actually incurr a cost due to their error, and their system will be updated much more quickly to prevent mistakes.

So by keeping the extra board, he is helping all of us. :lol: 
February 15, 2007 4:52:08 PM

Quote:
I like how that guys trying to turn it into a moral dilemna, but if the same thing happened to him he knows he would keep the cards and sit at home laughing his ass off like EVERYONE else. :) 

Buy ya i wondering about hte PSU requirements aswell since i am looking to SLI my GTS sometime down the road. I got 650 watt.

You misunderstand me. I was countering arguments, I never made a statement about what should/should not be done. Would I have kept it? Who knows, least of all me, I am just trying to bring to light the truth of the mater. Justify all you want, it doesn't make a difference to the reality of the situation.
February 15, 2007 4:58:14 PM

Quote:
Guys, he didn't steal anything. They gave it to him. It's not the same. It is the consumer's option to report mistakes of the vendor, it is not an obligation.

Errors in favor of the vendor have a very inefficient path to force improvement in the vendor's process. Basically the only impetus to this change is customer complaints.

Errors in favor of the consumer will force a much faster improvement in order accuracy by the vendor. They actually incurr a cost due to their error, and their system will be updated much more quickly to prevent mistakes.

So by keeping the extra board, he is helping all of us. :lol: 

Disagree. Mistakes like this hurt the bottom line, sure, but the question is, how does that affect us, the consumer? The company will look at its process, see how much money it would take to change it, see how much money it would take to leave it, and raise the prices of their products in order to offset these costs. You cannot "screw" a company that way. The company will adapt, usually by putting a higher burden on the consumer (even in a highly competative environment, each company has to deal with this issue, so each must offset this cost). Companies make a certain profit, publicly held companies are expected to, that is where their finances come from. Doing your best to "screw" a company is short sighted at best.

Of course, game theory suggests you should keep the board, but there are times (the prisoner's dilemma) that game theory just results in everyone losing.
February 15, 2007 5:24:44 PM

you guys are right, he didn't STEAL anything.. but none the less, it is theft!

You cant get out of this one! You got something you didn't pay for! You either conned them, or took advantage of them. I would say its the second.

If you hate these "greedy companies" so much, why the heck would you buy your computer from them!!!!!!!!!!

The right thing to do would be to give the card back. I know I probably wouldn't.. but then, I accept the fact, that in some aspects, I am a terrible person.. nothing to be proud of.

You can do the right thing, and give them your card back. You can keep it, and doubtfully will you ever regret it. Human nature is evil, it takes a lot of effort to change that

*the bible also says to turn the other cheek and not to steal..

In the end, I think you will keep the card. Some who was moral would of already sent it back, not asked if your PSU can handle both of them. If someone forces you to give them back, then you will regret it.. you might as well accept that you are greedy. Just because someone else murders or does drugs, does not give you the right to do it too.
There are people who say circumstances are out of their control, there are those who don't believe a higher power shapes their life. You can find these examples at AA meetings and prison.
Although I am not religious, I still believe the best policy is to follow the golden rule: Do unto others and you want them to do unto you.
February 15, 2007 5:56:12 PM

Nothing was stolen, it's not theft. They put it in the box, they sent it to him, he accepted it, and the transaction is complete. It's true it's not what he asked for, but many companies maintain the right to make substitutions. Regardless, if a company makes an error, that is their problem, not their customers.

You should never have to feel guilty for some good fortune.
February 15, 2007 6:03:50 PM

Wow! Most of you guys are a bunch of theives. I work for a large corporation and we make so many mistakes it is ridiculous. But most of the time when the customer is honest, we reward them in some form or fashion. I imagine if you contact the company that did this, they may just let you keep the card anyway or they may give you something in exchange for it. Being honest now could save you alot of headaches in the future concerning the pre-built POS you bought from them anyway. Just my 2 cents. :) 
February 15, 2007 6:18:24 PM

Quote:
If the bank ATM gives you $200 when you took out $20 from your account are you free to take the money?

Yes. If we aren't talking morals, there isn't really a reason he can't. Let me give you an example - say a man walks up to you and gives you a hundred dollar bill without explenation. The next day, he comes around and demands you give him a hundred dollars. Since he gave it to you, without any (not even verbal) agreement of repayment, it is essentially a gift. If he sued, he wouldn't win.

Please, at least put a little effort towards trying to speak objective (and no, i'm not implying that i am fully objective).

First off, if an ATM gives you additional money in error and you don't report it you have committed theft. If a person gives you $100 that is a gift and their intent was to give you the $100. The intent of the company was not to give him 2 video cards and they have an invoice that will state this. The donor's intent is what is important here. Had the company decided to freely upgrade every system sold the day he bought it to SLI and then later regretted it and sent him a bill for the card, they would have no way of getting their money back. But that is simply not the case here. He committed theft plain as day.

As for those who say I would keep the card if it happened to me:
#1 I would never buy a pre-built system.
#2 I wouldn't say what he is doing is wrong if I would do the same thing. I would absolutely call the company and inform them of their error if I was in the same situation as he was.
!