8800 gts Luckiest Bloke in the wrold this week

Corvus

Distinguished
May 7, 2005
Ok this is the situation I don`t care wether you believe me or not but seriously its happend check my earlier post. Ok I recently purchased a new PC "not telling you the name of the company I dont want them knocking on my door to get the card back" with twin 7950 gt`s but I was advised to change it to a single 8800 gts through the TOMS forums "like I say check earlier post" as it was cheaper and better than the twin cards. However when it turned up they have mistakenly installed twin 8800 GTS cards instead of the single card they were supposed to. Yes I am seriously happy about this as the invoice reflect I only paid for a single card :D . NOW the problem is will my PSU power the 2 cards? I have a PSU: Hiper Type-M SLI/Crossfire Ready 580 Watt Power Supply maximum load of 620watts will this PSU power them or not?

For all those wondering did I struggle with the moral dillema :roll: ? Pfffft don`t be silly :lol:

CptCpu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
First off that is just too sweet that you got two of those card by someones mistake. I would say the psu would be able to power them just barely, but I could be wrong. If you are uncertian try running it just with one card untill you can get a powerful psu.

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
IMO I think that PSU won't handle those 8800's well, but always you could try and test them with 3dmark, to check your scores. But if you ask me, I would tell you that 700W is the minimum PSU to handle a pair of 8800's. I have just 1 8800GTS and my PSU is 600W.

You can go to THIS site and do a small calculation of your requirement. Unfortunately they don't have the 8800GTS included, but you can select the GTX and assume a little bit less of power. I ran a small calculation (assuming a regular home system) and I got a result of 568W, but you have to take in place the fact that the efficiency of the PSU's are always around 75% of the wattage it shows.

Anyway, we have some PSU's experts here like mpilchfamily, who could clarify this point a little bit more.

Oh and another thing, the downside of this situation is that if one of those cards have to be replaced, they will replace it for a 7950...

nibenentt

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I wouldn't trust the power supply it is only rated for 30A on the 12v rails combined and Nvidia recommend 26A for one GTS and the system with it (CPU, ram, hard disk and so on)
I would recommend you get something like the thermaltake toughpower 750W cable management it would have enough power to provide stable power to your system (has 60A on 4 12V rails combined)
I have a thermaltake toughpower 750W cable management and it has performed flawlessly since i got in december.

weuntouchable

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
What would you do if the shoe was on the other foot and they sent you only one 7950gt and charged you for the 8800gts? You would be up in arms about how stupid the company is and expect retribution immediately. But, since they erred you somehow feel it is your right to keep something you didn't pay for. What are you going to do when they realize they are one card short at the end of the month and trace it back to you? Lie to them and tell them you only received one. This isn't about morals or laws, its about not being an asshat when someone makes a mistake. This isn't a multi billion corporation you are stealing from, this is a mom and pop shop with paper thin margins. And bragging about the fact that you stole a video card on a popular hardware sites forum just shows the true type of person you are. What goes around comes around, so I imagine it will only be a couple of days before something goes wrong with your computer and you have to send it back for repairs. Show the world you aren't scum and do the right thing.

Corvus

Distinguished
May 7, 2005
Lucky ah heck! :wink:

So the best idea would be to take it out and sell it for 200 pound then? because there is no way in hell my wife will allow me to spend another 100 or so pound on a PSU due to the fact i`ve just shelled out 1200 on this one fair enough it was their mistake installing 2 cards but the PSU I got originally was only supposed to power 1 card

nibenentt

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You wont be able to run the system with 2 so yeah you should take it out of the system but what you do with it is up to you.

xanthippus

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Fair point by 'weuntouchable'.

That said, if businesses make mistakes they expect the customer to do a lot of the work to correct it (numerous phone calls, waiting around for parts, sending things back through to the post, etc)

On the balance of probability that a lot of bad things will happen in all our lives, which will never be balanced out by an equal number of good things, I don't think anyone should be in a rush to tip the scales so heavily back in the wrong direction!

Corvus

Distinguished
May 7, 2005
This isn't a multi billion corporation you are stealing from, this is a mom and pop shop with paper thin margins. And bragging about the fact that you stole a video card on a popular hardware sites forum just shows the true type of person you are.
Err yes it is a big corporation its HUGE in the US it is also BIG here in the UK it probably wouldnt make the slightest dent in their profit margin as for saying JUST SHOWS WHAT TYPE OF PERSON YOU ARE who are you to judge me? Osama loved his family and his kids DOES that make him a good person? I work damned hard to make a living for my family I dont smoke and very rarely drink but because someone makes a mistake and I dont own up that makes me a bad person. There are murderers rapists & drug dealers out there you wanna judge someone judge them not me pffffft is all I can say.

Trunkz_Jr

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
He's just jealious cause you got a free card lol.

If they can make a mistake like that, then just imagine all the wrong mistakes they make that don't go good for customers, serves them right :)

xanthippus

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Corvus, if you're at a loss to know what to do with your second GTS would you be interested in 'renting out' the card for a month or so? Mid-April I would return it to you (when I can get the R600) and by then you could get your hands on a 700W+ PSU.

Going to build a new system to play Supreme Commander (current system can't do it) but need a card to fill the gap in-between the release of the game and the R600.

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
He's just jealious cause you got a free card lol.

If they can make a mistake like that, then just imagine all the wrong mistakes they make that don't go good for customers, serves them right :)
I have computer company and I can get any hardware I want, why would I be jealous of anyone? It would be best if you wouldnt judge others by your personality, since we dont think in the same way.

From experience I know tech. people (as everyone else) makes mistakes, in every company policy is to correct them in the best way possible so customer wouldnt be harmed, but road goes both ways. If customer is arrogant thief, such guy have no right to ask different approach from the company.

weuntouchable

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
This isn't a multi billion corporation you are stealing from, this is a mom and pop shop with paper thin margins. And bragging about the fact that you stole a video card on a popular hardware sites forum just shows the true type of person you are.
Err yes it is a big corporation its HUGE in the US it is also BIG here in the UK it probably wouldnt make the slightest dent in their profit margin as for saying JUST SHOWS WHAT TYPE OF PERSON YOU ARE who are you to judge me? Osama loved his family and his kids DOES that make him a good person? I work damned hard to make a living for my family I dont smoke and very rarely drink but because someone makes a mistake and I dont own up that makes me a bad person. There are murderers rapists & drug dealers out there you wanna judge someone judge them not me pffffft is all I can say.
I only know you based off of what you posted here, and I'm not saying you are necessarily a bad person. I'm saying that you are a thief if you keep the card. When you tell the world you are a thief on a forum like this you open yourself up to judgment from other people. You stole the card plain and simple. You are a thief. Call it capitalizing on another's error or anything else that makes you sleep better at night.

xanthippus

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
He certainly didn't steal it so I can't see how he can be called a thief; I also don't believe it should be his responsibility to resolve the company's mistake. He entered into an agreement which the company failed to meet; I don't believe he has any obligation to spend his time resolving this issue, especially when the confusion that may result from such an action may lead to further complications later.

+ Remember my earlier belief, on the balance of probability that a lot of bad things will happen in all our lives, which will never be balanced out by an equal number of good things, I don't think anyone should be in a rush to tip the scales so heavily back in the wrong direction!

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
He certainly didn't steal it so I can't see how he can be called a thief; I also don't believe it should be his responsibility to resolve the company's mistake. He entered into an agreement which the company failed to meet; I don't believe he has any obligation to spend his time resolving this issue, especially when the confusion that may result from such an action may lead to further complications later.

+ Remember my earlier belief, on the balance of probability that a lot of bad things will happen in all our lives, which will never be balanced out by an equal number of good things, I don't think anyone should be in a rush to tip the scales so heavily back in the wrong direction!
There is active and passive wrong doing, as you should know. He did passive stealing, which isnt the same as active stealing, but its marginal difference.

About your earlier post - goodness in the world starts from us, you cant expect fairer world while being not honest person yourself.

killtacular

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
IMHO you should contact the seller and return second card or pay for it... Otherwise some poor tech. guy will have it charged from his salary.

LMAO! That is probably the funniest thing I heard today! Screw the company. It's their problem. I truly doubt that some guy will even confess to installing two by accident anyway.

So, what I say is enjoy the extra horsepower at the expense of some n00blets incompetence. If you really can't cope with the guilt, I will be more than happy to take one card of your hands. I can look after it for you if you want. Let me know. :wink:

xanthippus

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
In principle Harrison you can't be faulted, but I believe it is only legitimate to behave in such a way if we are assured that those that benefit from our benevolence merit such a reward. I would be reasonably confident that any large IT company short changes their customers in some small way when they can get away with it, arguably the fact that they are profit based means they are screwing people over from the start....but I'm not here to extol the virtues of Communism.

That said, the core of Communism is founded on the basis that we move to a system where people don't exploit one another...history has proven that human nature is unfortunately far from such a state of development and it is ultimately unrewarding for society as a whole to act in such a simplistic manor.

Going horribly overboard now, so to keep it simple again, Corvus had a bit of good fortune, I think he should enjoy it, a principled life may get you into heaven, but I would rather be a lovable scoundrel in life :)

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
And people wonder why companies insist on copy protection, all the red tape and legal crap that goes into sales and returns, draconian EULA's.

We all bitch that they are intrusive, unfair, and make a stable system harder to come by.
Some of us throw triades when someone takes advantage of us, and take joy when we can turn the tides.
Some of us see no problem ripping someone else's album for our own use, Some of us see no problems installing our friends games on our computer so we don't have to pay for it.

At the end of the day, we bring it on ourselves.

If you wonder why DPM exists, look no further than some of the people on this forum.

My own experiance shows that the odds are 40% that when notified that you received something extra, the company thanks you for letting them know and they hope you enjoy the extra stuff because they don't want the hassle of getting it back and into inventory. 60% of the time they send a call tag for it.

What are you going to do when you send your system back for repair and they void your warrenty for modifying your system after the fact? As far as they are concerned, you added the card later. You can try to explain that they messed up and added the card by mistake. Then they are going to wonder why you didn't say anything and void your warrenty anyway.

I guess you can hide it further by pulling the card out and plugging the hole. I just hope they don't notice the cover is different or the power cable dangling there where it used to be.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
In principle Harrison you can't be faulted, but I believe it is only legitimate to behave in such a way if we are assured that those that benefit from our benevolence merit such a reward. I.........
a principled life may get you into heaven, but I would rather be a lovable scoundrel in life :)

Wouldn't it be better if you assumed they deserved it? At least you know you can hold the high ground when someone else cheats you. Otherwise you are griping about someone doing the same things you do. I have no respect for that.

You scoundrel you :)

xanthippus

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
:p

The bible says "an eye for an eye"....if the holy book that preaches love and good will to all men says that then....well....that is good enough for an agnostic like me :)

Corvus

Distinguished
May 7, 2005
So if I was to give this card back I would probably have to pay the shipping costs and like xanthippus states profit based companys screw us all the time I will probably have to pay a restocking fee. NOT only that but the poor person who put together my system will probaly end up in deep S**T I mean it aint a low end card so they arent going to be too amused about it which in turn could lose them their job. So to give this card back I will more than likely end up out of pocket get no thanks for it and very possibly lose someone their job. Now I`m not saying this just to try and justify myself I have been burgled in the past and also had my bike stolen YEAH!!! it pissed me off and I never got any thing back, but then I worked for it I payed for it this is a huge company pulling in more money a year than most of us will ever see in a lifetime do I feel bad no if they realise and ask for it back then yes if they pay all costs I will gladly send it back but until then I will keep it safe for them :D