No More DOs from L10-14 Contacts

So, all of us folks who had characters who depended heavily on
"non-power-10" Enhancements (that is, the Enhancements that aren't
sold in stores until L25-30) received a major boost when Update 2 went
up: we received the ability to buy non-power-10 DOs and SOs from
contacts at the same levels we could buy them from stores. Our L10,
15, 20, and 25 contacts would all offer us the non-power-10s so that
we could buy non-power-10 DOs at level 12 (the earliest point at which
we could slot them, since they started at 15) and SOs at 22, just as
we could buy power-10 DOs and SOs at the stores at those levels. We
had finally achieved parity.

Well, with update 3, the L10 contacts mysterously stopped selling
DOs. There wasn't a word about this in the patch notes, either. And
when someone posted about this, the dev Vyvyanne responded, "This is
not a bug. It is an intended change. Contacts at level 15 will sell
Dual Origin enhancements in thier [sic] stores."

[boards.coh.com thread at http://tinyurl.com/42snx]

What the heck? I don't get this. What possible rationale could they
have for this? What was it hurting for L12 characters to be able to DO
up their non-10 powers at the same time as they did their 10s? Why
shove it back 3 levels? It's not even as if this will prevent people
who really want DOs at that point from getting them; they just have to
find someone level 15+ with the right contacts who can buy for them.

Grumble...I sure hope they get enough complaints that they'll reverse
this.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:20:11 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
wrote:

>So, all of us folks who had characters who depended heavily on
>"non-power-10" Enhancements (that is, the Enhancements that aren't
>sold in stores until L25-30) received a major boost when Update 2 went
>up: we received the ability to buy non-power-10 DOs and SOs from
>contacts at the same levels we could buy them from stores. Our L10,
>15, 20, and 25 contacts would all offer us the non-power-10s so that
>we could buy non-power-10 DOs at level 12 (the earliest point at which
>we could slot them, since they started at 15) and SOs at 22, just as
>we could buy power-10 DOs and SOs at the stores at those levels. We
>had finally achieved parity.
>
>Well, with update 3, the L10 contacts mysterously stopped selling
>DOs. There wasn't a word about this in the patch notes, either. And
>when someone posted about this, the dev Vyvyanne responded, "This is
>not a bug. It is an intended change. Contacts at level 15 will sell
>Dual Origin enhancements in thier [sic] stores."
>
>[boards.coh.com thread at http://tinyurl.com/42snx]
>
>What the heck? I don't get this. What possible rationale could they
>have for this? What was it hurting for L12 characters to be able to DO
>up their non-10 powers at the same time as they did their 10s? Why
>shove it back 3 levels? It's not even as if this will prevent people
>who really want DOs at that point from getting them; they just have to
>find someone level 15+ with the right contacts who can buy for them.
>
>Grumble...I sure hope they get enough complaints that they'll reverse
>this.

I don't know what the actual reason is, I'm disappointed that they
announced the change without actually explaining why they did it. I
can't imagine a good reason for it. Did they do some data mining and
determined that defenders and controllers were not dying nearly as
much as scrappers, tankers, and blasters? Or were they levelling too
fast?

I have a theory that maybe they determined that the only people who
could afford to slot more than a couple of the non-power 10 enhs were
those that had higher level alts handing them truckloads of influence.
Personally, It hasn't been a huge issue for me since I never transfer
influence to my alts (though I admit that the temptation is there and
is quite powerful), so they learn to live without DOs or SOs that they
can't afford (always the non-power 10s) are the ones that tend to be
underslotted on my alts. I don't think that this is going to affect
my Rad defender very much since he can't afford even the power 10 enhs
much less the non-power 10s.

-Haldur

In article <ovltu0h52uc3sqp57qpbg3m2qt9a855nlh@4ax.com>, Graham
Zaretsky wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:20:11 GMT, Robotech_Master
> <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
>>Grumble...I sure hope they get enough complaints that they'll
>>reverse this.
>
> I don't know what the actual reason is, I'm disappointed that
> they announced the change without actually explaining why they
> did it. I can't imagine a good reason for it. Did they do
> some data mining and determined that defenders and controllers
> were not dying nearly as much as scrappers, tankers, and
> blasters? Or were they levelling too fast?

It doesn't really hurt anyone very much, but it's not only
Controllers that got harmed. Regen Scrappers can't get those
early Endurance Regeneration buffs.

It would be one thing of Holds didn't last long enough, or
debuffs weren't good enough at those levels. But they really are
fine, even with just training enhancements.

> I have a theory that maybe they determined that the only people
> who could afford to slot more than a couple of the non-power 10
> enhs were those that had higher level alts handing them
> truckloads of influence.

This is pretty much the main victims of the change. If I don't
get free influence from somewhere I can barely afford to buy DO's
for everything by level 15.

> Personally, It hasn't been a huge issue for me since I never
> transfer influence to my alts (though I admit that the
> temptation is there and is quite powerful), so they learn to
> live without DOs or SOs that they can't afford (always the
> non-power 10s) are the ones that tend to be underslotted on my
> alts. I don't think that this is going to affect my Rad
> defender very much since he can't afford even the power 10 enhs
> much less the non-power 10s.

All that said, I'm not going to defend the developers on this
change. Why bother? Why piss people off needlessly? Why do it in
secret? It just looks bad.

--
Neil Cerutti
A billion here, a billion there, sooner or later it adds up to

On 20 Jan 2005 13:36:22 GMT, Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:

> It doesn't really hurt anyone very much, but it's not only
> Controllers that got harmed. Regen Scrappers can't get those
> early Endurance Regeneration buffs.

It affects Dark/Dark Defenders, too. If I build my character right,
by level 12 I could be six-slotting Darkest Night with Debuff DOs (or
5 Debuff and 1 End Reduction DO since I don't have Stamina yet).

> This is pretty much the main victims of the change. If I don't
> get free influence from somewhere I can barely afford to buy DO's
> for everything by level 15.

Well, if someone has enough to buy just one DO and he wants that to be
a non-ten, he really should be able to if he wants to.

That being said, I really don't see anything wrong with transferring
money from one character to another. After all, you *did* earn that
money yourself, even if it was in the form of another character. The
way I look at it, if you take the long and cheap way up the first
time, you should be able to fund your subsequent ventures to avoid the
frustration.

> All that said, I'm not going to defend the developers on this
> change. Why bother? Why piss people off needlessly? Why do it in
> secret? It just looks bad.

Exactly. And when you're called on it, why not at least explain the
reasoning behind it?
--

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:40:52 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2005 13:36:22 GMT, Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
>
>> It doesn't really hurt anyone very much, but it's not only
>> Controllers that got harmed. Regen Scrappers can't get those
>> early Endurance Regeneration buffs.
>
> It affects Dark/Dark Defenders, too. If I build my character right,
> by level 12 I could be six-slotting Darkest Night with Debuff DOs (or
> 5 Debuff and 1 End Reduction DO since I don't have Stamina yet).

All you need is love. Or even friendship. The things drop naturally from
time to time, so if you have someone who thinks about you, they won't sell
these normally worthless drops but give them to you instead.

good sign." -G

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:00:15 +0100, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:

> All you need is love. Or even friendship. The things drop naturally
> from time to time, so if you have someone who thinks about you,
> they won't sell these normally worthless drops but give them to you
> instead.

I don't even have to do that. All I have to do is ask my friend to go
to his L15 contact of my origin and buy for me. And that's part of
why this just doesn't make sense--they're not preventing L12-14s from
buying these Enhancements with this change, they're just causing more
of them to ask their friends (or any random stranger via /broadcast)
to do it for them.

--

In article <slrncv00jp.bpf.robotech@terrania.homelinux.org>,
Robotech_Master wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:00:15 +0100, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
>> All you need is love. Or even friendship. The things drop
>> naturally from time to time, so if you have someone who
>> thinks about you, they won't sell these normally worthless
>> drops but give them to you instead.
>
> I don't even have to do that. All I have to do is ask my
> friend to go to his L15 contact of my origin and buy for me.
> And that's part of why this just doesn't make sense--they're
> not preventing L12-14s from buying these Enhancements with this
> change, they're just causing more of them to ask their friends
> (or any random stranger via /broadcast) to do it for them.

Pehaps they're just trying to force us to use their useless trade
system.

--
Neil Cerutti
There are two ways to argue with a woman, and neither of them

On 20 Jan 2005 19:39:13 GMT, Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
> In article <slrncv00jp.bpf.robotech@terrania.homelinux.org>,
> Robotech_Master wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:00:15 +0100, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
>> wrote:
>>> All you need is love. Or even friendship. The things drop
>>> naturally from time to time, so if you have someone who
>>> thinks about you, they won't sell these normally worthless
>>> drops but give them to you instead.
>>
>> I don't even have to do that. All I have to do is ask my
>> friend to go to his L15 contact of my origin and buy for me.
>> And that's part of why this just doesn't make sense--they're
>> not preventing L12-14s from buying these Enhancements with this
>> change, they're just causing more of them to ask their friends
>> (or any random stranger via /broadcast) to do it for them.
>
> Pehaps they're just trying to force us to use their useless trade
> system.

Perhaps they're just trying to bring people together.

Or perhaps they commented out the wrong line of code and can't lose face
by admitting it.

good sign." -G

Robotech_Master wrote:

> [boards.coh.com thread at http://tinyurl.com/42snx]
>
> What the heck? I don't get this. What possible rationale could they
> have for this? What was it hurting for L12 characters to be able to
DO
> up their non-10 powers at the same time as they did their 10s? Why
> shove it back 3 levels? It's not even as if this will prevent people
> who really want DOs at that point from getting them; they just have
> find someone level 15+ with the right contacts who can buy for them.

Looks like a change in position. Last item in questions to States.

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Dev&Number=2160079&bodyprev=#Post2160079

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Robotech_Master wrote:
>>
>> [boards.coh.com thread at http://tinyurl.com/42snx]
>>
>> What the heck? I don't get this. What possible rationale could they
>> have for this? What was it hurting for L12 characters to be able to
>DO
>> up their non-10 powers at the same time as they did their 10s? Why
>> shove it back 3 levels? It's not even as if this will prevent people
>> who really want DOs at that point from getting them; they just have
>> find someone level 15+ with the right contacts who can buy for them.
>>

>Looks like a change in position. Last item in questions to States.

Yay! Since I just started a new tanker this is good news.

>http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Dev&Number=2160079&bodyprev=#Post2160079

Good lord.
Epic Archetypes to come: Avilans, Incarnates, Blood of the Black Stream
and the Coralax.

Blood of the Black Stream??
What a bizarre archetype name.

Xocyll