Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Built New Rig, few questions

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 15, 2007 10:25:23 AM

Hi all just joined the forum and built a new Rig! I have few questions about my pc heres the specifications:

CPU: Intel core Duo 6600
MotherBoard: ASUS P5W64 WS Pro
Ram: Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)
VGA: BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 640MB GDDR3
HD:320 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA2 7200rpm
PSU:Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU
Case: Antec Nine hunderd
Speakers:Logitech Z-5500

I Have few Wires still hanging around in my case my main consern is:

Where does the Bule&Black Wire (That comes form the PSU) ment to go on the Motherboard?

The USB slots on top of the case do not work?

Should I buy a sound card as im using the onbaord on will my Speakers
(Logitech Z-5500) be wasted using the onbaord?

Is it a Bad idea to have the Sub next to my pc?

More about : built rig questions

a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2007 12:03:25 PM

Quote:
Where does the Bule&Black Wire (That comes form the PSU) ment to go on the Motherboard?

I've just looked at Antec's site and that is for fan monitoring. It needs to be connected to your motherboards PSU fan monitoring connector. Then you can monitor the PSU fan speed in Probe or SpeedFan (if supported). My connection is a brutally slow, I am trying to get you a general location on the motherboard for where this connector is. The PSU fan header is just above your RAM slots (just up and to the right of where you plugged your CPU fan in).

Quote:
The USB slots on top of the case do not work?

You need to plug the USB cable from the USB connectors in your case to a USB header on your motherboard. The IEEE1394 (Firewire) header connector looks just like the header connector for the USB connectors DO NOT MIX THESE UP it could wreck your motherboard if you attempt to plug a USB or IEEE1394 device and they are swapped on the motherboard. I built a system for my boys with this case, the headers I believe are labelled for what they are. Man it's taking a long time to download your motherboard manual (less than 3.0KB/sec). While I wait, that case is pretty nice. Lots of air flow. Finally it's done downloading. The USB headers are the blue connectors at the bottom of your motherboard. So the connector from the USB connectors on the case need to go into either of those. If you've already done this, you may need to go into the BIOS and enable them. It's under Advanced>USB Configuration. If all this is done and it still doesn't work, then you may have a cable problem with the case. If you have the cable on say USB5&6, move it to USB7&8 on the motherboard just to see if one header is bad. This should narrow it down to whether or not it's the motherboard or the cable. If it's the cable just drop a line to Antec, they'll send you out a replacement I'm sure.
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2007 12:22:21 PM

Sorry I missed the last two question.

Quote:
Should I buy a sound card as im using the onbaord on will my Speakers (Logitech Z-5500) be wasted using the onbaord?

I can't vouch for the onboard sound on your motherboard in particular, but I can tell you that onboard sound in general is craptacular. If you don't want to lay down a ton of money on a soundcard, I'd go with an Audigy 4 (Audigy 2 if you can find one). If you have the dollars to burn then go with a X-FI of some flavor. Just one thing to note with the X-FI, I've seen a lot of posts here on the forums with guys having problems with the X-FI and some motherboards. I don't remember the particulars though. The straight up answer is I would definitely get a dedicated discrete soundcard. At least it's an Analog Devices chip, RealTek's EAX implementation is broken, so games with EAX suck. Occlusion and audio positioning doesn't work with the RealTek chips or their drivers, either way hardware or software, it doesn't work.

Quote:
Is it a Bad idea to have the Sub next to my pc?

Well I would say you should be OK, all computer speakers are magnetically shielded. Also I imagine that the sub is towards the back of your case. Really the only thing that the speaker would possibly interfere with is your HDD. Stray magnetism (and it needs to be alot) from the sub could cause errors on your HDD, but again it should be well shielded. Like I said your sub is likely towards the back of your case anyway which places it a good distance away from your HDD. As for vibration, only you can determine that. If it's creating a serious amount of vibration in your case, then you may want to relocate it. With enough vibration, stuff will have a tendancy to loosen.
February 15, 2007 3:04:20 PM

Thank you very much for quick and great response! My USB cabel was in the right conection I just did not push into the conector hard enought
(Was scared I would snap my new Motherboard been a while since i build a pc.)

Quote:
I've just looked at Antec's site and that is for fan monitoring. It needs to be connected to your motherboards PSU fan monitoring connector. Then you can monitor the PSU fan speed in Probe or SpeedFan (if supported). My connection is a brutally slow, I am trying to get you a general location on the motherboard for where this connector is. The PSU fan header is just above your RAM slots (just up and to the right of where you plugged your CPU fan in).

Ive Put the Black and White cable in the conector labeled "PWR FAN" at the location you tolded me is that corect?

P.S Thanks agian.