The Most Unusual PCs and PC Mods

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
once i saw at toms an article, where they assembled a ati radeon 9700 128 mb agp on a...pentium 100 mhz with 512 ram. put that in a case and that's a trully unsual pc!

jblow89577

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
once i saw at toms an article, where they assembled a ati radeon 9700 128 mb agp on a...pentium 100 mhz with 512 ram. put that in a case and that's a trully unsual pc!

1) ati 9700 uses agp x4/x8 while intel Pentium 100 max at agp 1/2
(they use different voltages) it would be possible with a pci grahics card
2) 512mb ram is possible in two ways
-a) a aka upgrade board with SDRAM memory slots
-b) with isa/pci ram expansion cards

side note: pentium 100 run the best with 32 mb ram and more and they run slow. but it would be a strange setup

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Temple Of NOD [FINISHED] - C&C The First Decade
Edvuld's Temple of NOD
03_01_b.jpg

The Tonkputer osa 1/2
Nev@Lehma's Tonkputer
02_01_b.jpg

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
i was able to dig the article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/02/17/benchmark_marathon/index.html

it was used a gf4 ti4600 on that system and someothers instead of the ati9700pro due to chipset incompatibility.
On the recent ones it was the ati9700pro that was used!

Even so, Pentium 100mhz, 512 ram and gf4 ti 4600, weird set :>

Btw, about the oil pc mentioned on the article, i always wondered how the heck did they clean the hardware afterwards.

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Btw, about the oil pc mentioned on the article, i always wondered how the heck did they clean the hardware afterwards.

I dont think they do, I have never seen any decent hardware submerged in it.

Katzhuu

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
This is definetly the weirdest/the most time consuming mod I've heard!

DARK BLADE

Thread is LOOOOOOOONG!

One pic of the finished case can be seen on page 90!

The guy did all metal parts himself (except screws and stuff I think). Anyways, go read a bit!

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

I dont think they do, I have never seen any decent hardware submerged in it.

Yeah toms did it, and it was pretty decent hardware, at least at the time, but even today though. I think they sumberged 2 gf6800 ultra @ SLI mode along with a good cpu. God damn, how did they clean that in the end ? :roll:

jjshnabadu

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Back in 2004 I set out to find out if I could build a screen into the side of my case using a laptop monitor...that didn't work out, but I found a different solution: I bought a Samsung SmartPanel (usually used in kiosks) off Ebay and built it into the side of the case.

The SmartPanel has the OSD PCB as well as VGA connection (unlike a laptop panel). It was simply a matter of cutting out the side, bolting in the screen and then spiffing it up a bit with some plexiglass I cut on my table saw.

When finished, I posted images of the final result to the thread I had been following on laptop screens being used for desktops. You can see it at:

http://www.techwarelabs.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1313&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

If it prompts for a password, just hit Cancel. My post is down at the bottom of the page. I'd post some pics, but I guess I haven't posted enough in this forum.

Once I had cut out the case, I took a picture and sized it to 1024x768 (the native resolution of the SmartPanel). One of the pictures shows that image as the desktop to look like a window in the case...

It's great to take to gaming parties (notice the handle)...

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I love women way more than alcohol (especially whiskey). :twisted: Alcohol is easily obtainable too...

Then this is the case for you. Its old now, but still classic

Kana computer case

52.JPG

If you look closely, you can see the wires on the left side between the hair and torso

diy-07.jpg
Now that's what I'm talking about. 8)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I love women way more than alcohol (especially whiskey). :twisted: Alcohol is easily obtainable too...

Then this is the case for you. Its old now, but still classic

Kana computer case

52.JPG

If you look closely, you can see the wires on the left side between the hair and torso

diy-07.jpg

Did you ever goop up the keyboard when you overcocked Kana?

My current project involves a Toshiba libretto 75c integration into the steering wheel of my car.

Funny how we think of untra portable laptops being a new thing. This computer is the size of 2 decks of cards and is 8 years old. Runs fine!