The Most Unusual PCs and PC Mods

Tell us about your favorite strange or even wacky PC or PC mod. We might publish your story.
30 answers Last reply
More about unusual mods
  1. Someone once filled a computer case with cooking oil. I thought it was all balderdash but they had pictures.
  2. YOSHI BOXXXX!!!!!! That was the coolest mod. Strange, interesting, and I'd want one of those!

http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/features/37229/Yoshis_Mods_Yoshis_Boxx.html
  3. once i saw at toms an article, where they assembled a ati radeon 9700 128 mb agp on a...pentium 100 mhz with 512 ram. put that in a case and that's a trully unsual pc!
  4. Quote:
    once i saw at toms an article, where they assembled a ati radeon 9700 128 mb agp on a...pentium 100 mhz with 512 ram. put that in a case and that's a trully unsual pc!

1) ati 9700 uses agp x4/x8 while intel Pentium 100 max at agp 1/2
    (they use different voltages) it would be possible with a pci grahics card
    2) 512mb ram is possible in two ways
    -a) a aka upgrade board with SDRAM memory slots
    -b) with isa/pci ram expansion cards

side note: pentium 100 run the best with 32 mb ram and more and they run slow. but it would be a strange setup
  5. i was able to dig the article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/02/17/benchmark_marathon/index.html

it was used a gf4 ti4600 on that system and someothers instead of the ati9700pro due to chipset incompatibility.
    On the recent ones it was the ati9700pro that was used!

Even so, Pentium 100mhz, 512 ram and gf4 ti 4600, weird set :>

Btw, about the oil pc mentioned on the article, i always wondered how the heck did they clean the hardware afterwards.
  6. Quote:
    Btw, about the oil pc mentioned on the article, i always wondered how the heck did they clean the hardware afterwards.

I dont think they do, I have never seen any decent hardware submerged in it.
  7. This one always stood out in my mind as being very creative.

Ballantine's Whiskey PC

8. http://www.mini-itx.com/projects.asp
    You should check out the projects at mini-itx. http://wwwmini-itx.com
    8)
  9. This is definetly the weirdest/the most time consuming mod I've heard!

DARK BLADE

Thread is LOOOOOOOONG!

One pic of the finished case can be seen on page 90!

The guy did all metal parts himself (except screws and stuff I think). Anyways, go read a bit!
  10. Now that is some great work. If you have the skills and equipment, why the hell not???
  11. That case combines the two greatest things on this planet: computers and whiskey!
  12. I love women way more than alcohol (especially whiskey). :twisted: Alcohol is easily obtainable too...
  13. Quote:
    Someone once filled a computer case with cooking oil

didn't toms do it? either tht or anandtech as these are the two sites i visit freq.
  14. Yeah it was toms. Lots of users tried it as well. There was a feedback article about it.
  15. Quote:

I dont think they do, I have never seen any decent hardware submerged in it.

Yeah toms did it, and it was pretty decent hardware, at least at the time, but even today though. I think they sumberged 2 gf6800 ultra @ SLI mode along with a good cpu. God damn, how did they clean that in the end ? :roll:
  16. Quote:
    Yeah it was toms. Lots of users tried it as well. There was a feedback article about it.

You got any links to the original article or feedback article?
  17. A COLLECTION of projects...... (not mine)

http://mini-itx.com/projects.asp

Most are in mini-itx form factor... some REALLY cool stuff over there.
  18. Back in 2004 I set out to find out if I could build a screen into the side of my case using a laptop monitor...that didn't work out, but I found a different solution: I bought a Samsung SmartPanel (usually used in kiosks) off Ebay and built it into the side of the case.

The SmartPanel has the OSD PCB as well as VGA connection (unlike a laptop panel). It was simply a matter of cutting out the side, bolting in the screen and then spiffing it up a bit with some plexiglass I cut on my table saw.

When finished, I posted images of the final result to the thread I had been following on laptop screens being used for desktops. You can see it at:

http://www.techwarelabs.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1313&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

If it prompts for a password, just hit Cancel. My post is down at the bottom of the page. I'd post some pics, but I guess I haven't posted enough in this forum.

Once I had cut out the case, I took a picture and sized it to 1024x768 (the native resolution of the SmartPanel). One of the pictures shows that image as the desktop to look like a window in the case...

It's great to take to gaming parties (notice the handle)...
  19. Quote:
    I love women way more than alcohol (especially whiskey). :twisted: Alcohol is easily obtainable too...

Then this is the case for you. Its old now, but still classic

Kana computer case

If you look closely, you can see the wires on the left side between the hair and torso

20. Quote:
    I love women way more than alcohol (especially whiskey). :twisted: Alcohol is easily obtainable too...

Kana computer case

If you look closely, you can see the wires on the left side between the hair and torso

Now that's what I'm talking about. 8)
  21. Quote:

Kana computer case

Did you ever goop up the keyboard when you overcocked Kana?
  22. My current project involves a Toshiba libretto 75c integration into the steering wheel of my car.

Funny how we think of untra portable laptops being a new thing. This computer is the size of 2 decks of cards and is 8 years old. Runs fine!
  23. Quote:

Did you ever goop up the keyboard when you overcocked Kana?

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is sooo 'other' section
  24. Over winter break I designed and built a pretty unusual computer from scratch. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the only computer of it's kind.

It's built with individual 7400-series TTL chips. The CPU is custom and comprises about 30 chips or so. It runs at 250KHz, operates on 8 bits at a time and has 32KB of RAM. Input and output is a set of 8 lights and 8 switches.

The best part, the CPU has only one instruction: Subtract and Branch if Negative. Turns out that's all you need. Anyways, I have a rough writeup of it on blogspot with some pretty pictures:

http://bitstuff.blogspot.com/2007/02/subtract-and-branch-if-negative.html
  25. Sorry that has already been done ... back in 1994 i think. Will find link.
  26. Quote:
    Sorry that has already been done ... back in 1994 i think. Will find link.

Please do post a link. I did a little bit of searching for a hardware subtract and branch if negative computer, and came up empty. There is however, another one instruction CPU that uses a MOVE instruction for all of it's operations.
  27. I don't know if this fits in any of the categories but have a look anyways.

PC Inside Desk

I'm almost finished. I need to mount the hard drives still. I'm thinking some sort of elastic setup to hang them from so they don't vibrate anything.

Also, I have some car audio sound deadening material and sound dampening foam called ensolite coming in the mail right now. I'll be applying it probably within the next week. I will update with more pictures soon.

AMD Athlon64 3200 754
    Epox Motherboard
    2GB G.Skill PC3200 DDR400
    EVGA GeForce 7950GT KO 512MB GDDR3
    Seagate 320GB 16Mb Cache SATA
    Maxtor 120GB IDE
    Seagate 80GB IDE
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    Hiper Power Supply 580W
    HUGE 120mm Blue Orb II CPU cooler from ThermalTake
  28. Alright, I'm finished! Installed sound dampening and made a mounting bracket for the hard drives. It's actually quite a bit quiter now. Compared to a normal case, it's very quiet. All you can really hear is the power supply fan.

Lots of new pictures!

Check It Out
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt PCS Systems