will my power be enough for a 8800?

I have a tagan 480w power supply and I am thinking of getting a 320mb 8800 xfx graphics card. I am not going to run it in sli mode, will this be enough power as I have heard so much contrasting news on this?
41 answers Last reply
More about will power 8800
  1. Bump....

Anyone helping this fellow?
  2. I will when i can find his model.
  3. If the Tagan is the easycon series - yes.

GTS requires 400W and 26A across the 12V rails.

This PSU has 30A across the 12V rails.

It's tight but should run ok.

I'd buy 520W Corsair to go with it.
  4. May I suggest the following link in case you are looking at doing any kind of overclocking? Even may be helpful if you are not planning on overclocking your system. You need to consider not just the graphics card when deciding if your psu needs replacing. Think of all peripherals that are running off of the psu as well. There is a link to a website that has a power calculator that can help you decide as well...I just don't remember where it is at.
    http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/154057-jonnyguru-power-supply-buyers-guide.html

There is also this link here in the forumz as well:
    http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=7&sid=b50c529c53394933ceda94558197a5ee&fex=Power-Supplies-PC-Cases-Case-Mods
  5. That's good advice.
  6. Won't hurt to try. If the system in unstable or won't start they you'll know 480W isn't enough. No sense in wasting money.
  7. Quote:

I don't at all like the idea of 4A for CPU plus HD plus opticals.

Quote:

That's better but a 650 watt unit with 40A of +12 is more like it. I'd at least get something like the 580 watt Mushkin.
  8. then write your congressman.

***shrugs***
  9. Quote:
    then write your congressman.

***shrugs***

That don't make no sense.
  10. I have a 500 watt Antec NeoHE and just installed the 8800 gts 320 mb. I haven't noticed any problems yet
  11. Quote:
    If the Tagan is the easycon series - yes.

The 8800 GTS uses 115 watts at full speed. His PSU is more than enough (by a wide margin). He probably could power 2 GTSs with that PSU
  12. Quote:

Quote:

That's better but a 650 watt unit with 40A of +12 is more like it. I'd at least get something like the 580 watt Mushkin.

The HX520W has 40A across the three rails.
  13. Quote:

The 8800 GTS uses 115 watts at full speed. His PSU is more than enough (by a wide margin). He probably could power 2 GTSs with that PSU

That's a joke right? He could power a GTS SLi for a few days sure but after that - its new PSU time :)
  14. Quote:

Quote:

The recommendation for a 400w PSU with 26a on the 12v rails is for the the entire system not just the 8800GTS. 26a for the 8800GTS means that it would consume 312w of power.

Based on nVidia's estimates the 8800GTX consumes 145w of power (12.08 amps), and the 8800GTS consumes 115w of power (9.58 amps). So far no website has directly measured the amount of power drawn by the GTX and GTS. Xbitlabs.com usually measures CPU and GPU power consumption. However their custom modified motherboard that they have been using to measure GPU power consumption in the past is not compatible with the 8800 series.
  15. Quote:
    I have a tagan 480w power supply and I am thinking of getting a 320mb 8800 xfx graphics card. I am not going to run it in sli mode, will this be enough power as I have heard so much contrasting news on this?

Most likely yes. But it would be nice if you can provide the model number.

In fact you may able able to answer that yourself if you look at the PSU's sticker. But sometimes the sticker can be a little confusing. Best to tell us your PSU model number.
  16. my power supply is
    tagan t480-u15 - easycom 24 silent modular.

the grahics cards is a xfx 320mb 8800 gts

hope this helps
  17. What are you talking about? It's the entire system and knowing Nvidia they are playing it safe at that.

If they say 400W and 26A will run a GTS and system - it will run a GTS and system.
  18. nilepez wrote:
    Malazan wrote:

You do not know what you are talking about, he does not have nearly enough across the 12V to SLI 8800GTS you cretin.

He's barely enough with that PSU for one GTS , taking into account probable poorish efficiency and degradation.
  19. You should be ok with that PSU, but if you can i'd upgrade, don't listen to the fool trying to tell you you can SLI GTS on this Tagan - you can't.
  20. jaguarskx wrote:
    Quote:
    So far no website has directly measured the amount of power drawn by the GTX and GTS

This site doesn't say how they arrived at their power consumptions numbers, but says the BFS 800GTS uses 168 watts at idle, and 250 under load. It also says the load usage is less than an X1900XT or a 7950GX2.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/bfg8800gts/10.html
  21. thanks for all the help and advice but im still none the wiser.

Is it a yes or no

I cant realy afford at the moment another £70-80 pounds on a new power supply as well.

I even contacted scan who made my pc and there answer was it should/ not it would, which didnt help
  22. Quote:

Quote:

The recommendation for a 400w PSU with 26a on the 12v rails is for the the entire system not just the 8800GTS. 26a for the 8800GTS means that it would consume 312w of power.

Yea, I assumed as much but just went with the posted claim, not knowing if folks were OCing that card up to with obscene VCores or whatever. And regardless, 4A of headroom for the whole system is just not enough to make me comfortable. I OC the CPU on most of my machines and that will eat into that 4A as will USB peripherals, HDs added later on etc.

Quote:
    Based on nVidia's estimates the 8800GTX consumes 145w of power (12.08 amps), and the 8800GTS consumes 115w of power (9.58 amps). So far no website has directly measured the amount of power drawn by the GTX and GTS. Xbitlabs.com usually measures CPU and GPU power consumption. However their custom modified motherboard that they have been using to measure GPU power consumption in the past is not compatible with the 8800 series.

Yea, you'd think that two PCI-e power cables wouldn't be needed for just 145 watts. Watts up with that?
  23. Quote:
    What are you talking about? It's the entire system and knowing Nvidia they are playing it safe at that.

If they say 400W and 26A will run a GTS and system - it will run a GTS and system.

Right, like the way nvidia certified the Enermax Liberty 620 for SLI but when a single 7900GTX would not run on that power supply, nvidia told me to get a PS with more +12. As I replied to JagSX, I assumed you were accurate on your GTS amperage claim and replied in that context. I know that card is nowhere near 300 watts at stock clock but have not followed the OC specifics on it and didn't know if you were referring to an OC'ed card or what. You didn't say "the typical GTS system requires 400 watts", you said: "GTS requires 400W and 26A across the 12V rails".

Another thing, if nvidia is predicting system needs, then they need the system spec - number of HDs, number of opticals, PCI card peripherals, number of fans, case lights, front panel add-ons, etc.
  24. A lot of people overexaggerate the Amperage needed for those.
    It'll work fine.
  25. I think your PSU will run the GTS as i have said at least twice.
  26. Quote:

That's a joke right? He could power a GTS SLi for a few days sure but after that - its new PSU time :)

1 8800 GTS uses 115 watts. The OP says he's got 360w on the 12v rail. He didn't say a thing about overclocking or what CPU he's using, but I'll assume it's Core2. An x6800 system with 2 GTS SLI cards uses roughly 300 watts (from the WALL, which if the tagan's efficiency is 80% means it's really around 240w).
  27. Quote:

You do not know what you are talking about, he does not have nearly enough across the 12V to SLI 8800GTS you cretin.

He's barely enough with that PSU for one GTS , taking into account probable poorish efficiency and degradation.

So all the sites that measrue the power draw of an X6800 system with 2 GTS cards as 300 watts from the wall are wrong?

And why are you concerned about efficiency? PSUs are rated one how much power they can supply, not how much power they pull from the wall.

If his PSU can't supply the amperage he said, then fine, but it doesn't even matter, because the point was that for a single card, given the info HE PROVIDED, it's not even a close call.

He's not gonna use more 200w at full load (from the wall)......of course if you decide his info is wrong and/or review sites power measurements are off by more than 100%, then you're definitely right.
  28. Quote:
    jaguarskx wrote:
    So far no website has directly measured the amount of power drawn by the GTX and GTS

This site doesn't say how they arrived at their power consumptions numbers, but says the BFS 800GTS uses 168 watts at idle, and 250 under load. It also says the load usage is less than an X1900XT or a 7950GX2.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/bfg8800gts/10.html

The 168w idle and 250w load is the power consumption for the entire system, not the the GPU.
  29. Quote:

Yea, you'd think that two PCI-e power cables wouldn't be needed for just 145 watts. Watts up with that?

I think nVidia wants to spread out the load so that the GPU doesn't draw too much power from the PCI-e port and a single PCI-e power cable.
  30. Quote:

I think nVidia wants to spread out the load so that the GPU doesn't draw too much power from the PCI-e port and a single PCI-e power cable.

Spreading out the load on a multi-rail PSU makes sense but one PCIe cable has to be good for well over 12A. I've OC'ed 1900XTs up to a fairly high VCore with a single PCI-e cable and it didn't even feel warm.

Maybe the predictions of a 300 watt GPU six months ago went to nvidia's head?
  31. Quote:

1 8800 GTS uses 115 watts. The OP says he's got 360w on the 12v rail. He didn't say a thing about overclocking or what CPU he's using, but I'll assume it's Core2. An x6800 system with 2 GTS SLI cards uses roughly 300 watts (from the WALL, which if the tagan's efficiency is 80% means it's really around 240w).

You're saying nvidia's recommendations are off by ~20A? Putting only an X6800 into the extreme PSU calculator with a GTX SLi (they don't have a GTS on there :?) gave me 428 watts. That's not including everything else needed/wanted in a system. Subtract the 38W from the mobo thats 390W if you include 80% efficiency that brings it to... 468 Watts. Now obviously there is a margin of error but its not gonna be enough error in his direction to even come CLOSE to 360W. No a GTS SLi will not work on it. Not to mention whether or not he has the connectors for it.

P.S I realize I just calculated a GTX SLi but a GTS SLi will come close enough to that number that it still won't matter.
  32. Quote:

You're saying nvidia's recommendations are off by ~20A? Putting only an X6800 into the extreme PSU calculator with a GTX SLi (they don't have a GTS on there :?) gave me 428 watts. That's not including everything else needed/wanted in a system. Subtract the 38W from the mobo thats 390W if you include 80% efficiency that brings it to... 468 Watts. Now obviously there is a margin of error but its not gonna be enough error in his direction to even come CLOSE to 360W. No a GTS SLi will not work on it. Not to mention whether or not he has the connectors for it.

P.S I realize I just calculated a GTX SLi but a GTS SLi will come close enough to that number that it still won't matter.

GTS uses 115w.

As for efficiencies, I'll ask again, why are you throwing those into the equation? We're not calculating how much you're paying to the power company, we're calculating how much DC Current is being used on the 12v rail (and we're further making the assumption that all power is 12v power, even though some will come from the 3v and 5v rail).

If PSU X's spec sheet says it can deliver 30a on teh 12v rail (and they're not lying) then it can...it won't matter if it's 75% efficient or 85%.

Finally, all of your calculations above are all fine and good, but there are plenty of tests show that an x6800 with a single GTS uses far less than what Nvidia specs claim.
  33. Regardless, you shouldn't be running the PSU at its max all the time. It will significantly reduce the lifetime.
  34. Quote:
    Regardless, you shouldn't be running the PSU at its max all the time. It will significantly reduce the lifetime.

Fine, but last time I checked 300 < 360. As I've now said at least 2x, the point was that if his description of his PSU was accurate (30a @12v), he doesn't need a new PSU. The current one is more than enough by WIDE margin. A margin so wide that he could power 2 8800's and still have power to spare.
  35. I was asked to provide what cpu I am using and its a amd x2 4400.

I am also not going to over clock anything or sli the card.

Hope this helps and again thanks for the advice
  36. "Fine, but last time I checked 300 < 360. As I've now said at least 2x, the point was that if his description of his PSU was accurate (30a @12v), he doesn't need a new PSU. The current one is more than enough by WIDE margin. A margin so wide that he could power 2 8800's and still have power to spare."

Cretin.

Run TWO 8800'S and a system on 30A across the 12V rails?

You haven't even got the first clue. It's enough to power 1 8800 - just.

I'd LOVE to see you try and run two 8800'S under full load with 30A across the 12V on that PSU.

:lol:

What PSU/GPU do you have by the way?
  37. Quote:
    "Fine, but last time I checked 300 < 360. As I've now said at least 2x, the point was that if his description of his PSU was accurate (30a @12v), he doesn't need a new PSU. The current one is more than enough by WIDE margin. A margin so wide that he could power 2 8800's and still have power to spare."

Cretin.

Run TWO 8800'S and a system on 30A across the 12V rails?

You haven't even got the first clue. It's enough to power 1 8800 - just.

I'd LOVE to see you try and run two 8800'S under full load with 30A across the 12V on that PSU.

:lol:

What PSU/GPU do you have by the way?

I missread the graphs on hardocp as SLI when they were not, so there's far less headroom on a GTS sli system than I was thinking/stating.

However, pcpersective's test system uses roughly 430w (from the wall). The efficiency of the PSU they used at 430w is roughly 81.2.
    430 * .812 = 349.16w, which is under the 360w that a 30a 12v rail can provide.
  38. 1) The Silverstone Zeus used in that test offers a at least 42A across the 12V and up to 45A.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-65zf.htm

2) That is not how efficiency works.
  39. Quote:
    1) The Silverstone Zeus used in that test offers a at least 42A across the 12V and up to 45A.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-65zf.htm

2) That is not how efficiency works.

I don't care what PSU they used. The point was to show how much power was actually used by the system, not what PSU is required to power the cards.

You seem to think that PSUs are rated by how much power they can pull from the wall. They are not. Take a look here. Note that they test this 700w PSU up to 700w DC output. At that point, efficiency drops to 73% and thus you use over 900w to produce that output.

If you have some source that shows this to be false, then please provide link(s).
  40. I know how they are rated.

I also know that his PSU is only just capable of powering the card he wants. I also know he hasn't a hope in hell of SLI'ing 8800 cards with it as you suggested.

The key factor is deciding whether a PSU can handle modern GPU's at full load is the 12V rail NOT total wattage.

It matters not, how much wattage these cards use or don't use, if there isn't enough along the 12V rails they will not work.

FACT.
  41. Quote:
    I know how they are rated.

Then i'm confused why you said I didn't understand efficiency, since SPCRs description is EXACTLY what I said several messages up.

Quote:

I also know that his PSU is only just capable of powering the card he wants. I also know he hasn't a hope in hell of SLI'ing 8800 cards with it as you suggested.

The key factor is deciding whether a PSU can handle modern GPU's at full load is the 12V rail NOT total wattage.

It matters not, how much wattage these cards use or don't use, if there isn't enough along the 12V rails they will not work.

FACT.

Here are 6 facts that are specific to this thread:

1. The OP said his PSU provides 30 amps on the 12v rail
    2. 30a * 12v = 360watts
    3. The PSU from PCperspective had an efficiency of 81.2% (+/- .1%)
    4. That GTS SLI System pulled 430w from the WALL.
    5. 430w * .812 = 349.16w
    6. 349.16 < 360
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Power Graphics