Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Maybe I'm missing something.

Is there a reason someone might buy the Q6600 for $850 and not the QX6700 for $999?

If you're going to take that kind of plunge, why not put another $150 into the deal and get > 20% more performance and overclockability?

My assumption is that Intel has released a product into that space in preperation for barcelona, so they'll have a quad-core product that they can price to complete after release (since they won't drop an extreme edition processor below the $1,000 mark).

Hopefully, the release of barcelona will mean that quad-C2D's will drop in price dramatically ($850 for a non-extreme quad is a bit rediculous).

Maybe someone can corroborate or offer another explanation?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Is there a reason someone might buy the Q6600 for $850 and not the QX6700 for $999?

I think you've already guessed the reason:

My assumption is that Intel has released a product into that space in preperation for barcelona, so they'll have a quad-core product that they can price to complete after release (since they won't drop an extreme edition processor below the $1,000 mark).

Supposedly the Q6600 is to drop to $530 in a few months. I think that Intel would do well to sell a Q6400 and Q6300 also but I have a hunch that they're saving those to battle with AMD's full line of desktop quad-cores that will come out later this year.