Everyone group deny all

Hi,

I use a USB hard disk to store my files on at work and I have made a
rather silly mistake with the access permissions. Firstly I set my
user name to have full control, I then changed the Everyone group
entry to deny all. At the time I didn't realize that deny permissions
take precedent!

Is there any way to reset the ACL's so that I may again have access to
the hard disk. As I understand it, the owner of the files can still
change the permissions, but the disk was formatted on a computer I no
longer have access to.

Best Regards, Simon Bale.
2 answers Last reply
More about everyone group deny

    By default administrators of the operating system you are using to access
    the drive can take ownership and grant themselves permissions to the
    drive/folder. So logon as a local administrator and take ownership and you
    should be in business. Go to the drive folder and select
    properties/security/advanced/owner and change owner to administrators. Be
    sure to select that the change be propagated to child objects via the
    checkbox before you apply. After you are owner you can change
    ermissions. --- Steve

    "Simon J. Bale" <s.j.bale@ncl.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use a USB hard disk to store my files on at work and I have made a
    > rather silly mistake with the access permissions. Firstly I set my
    > user name to have full control, I then changed the Everyone group
    > entry to deny all. At the time I didn't realize that deny permissions
    > take precedent!
    >
    > Is there any way to reset the ACL's so that I may again have access to
    > the hard disk. As I understand it, the owner of the files can still
    > change the permissions, but the disk was formatted on a computer I no
    > longer have access to.
    >
    > Best Regards, Simon Bale.

    Hi,

    If we are talking about NTFS permissions local computer administrator should
    be able to take ownership of the files.

    HOW TO: Take Ownership of Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268019

    I hope this helps,

    Mike

    "Simon J. Bale" <s.j.bale@ncl.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use a USB hard disk to store my files on at work and I have made a
    > rather silly mistake with the access permissions. Firstly I set my
    > user name to have full control, I then changed the Everyone group
    > entry to deny all. At the time I didn't realize that deny permissions
    > take precedent!
    >
    > Is there any way to reset the ACL's so that I may again have access to
    > the hard disk. As I understand it, the owner of the files can still
    > change the permissions, but the disk was formatted on a computer I no
    > longer have access to.
    >
    > Best Regards, Simon Bale.

Hard Drives Permissions Windows