Changing LSA RPC Port from Dynamic to Fixed

Hello all,

Is it possible ?
I read a MS document where it clearly says that it is possible by
tweaking the registry but I cannot find any specific information
around.
Does anybody know the key / value to modify or add ? I would
appreciate it.

Actually, this leads to another question.
The reason I'm asking this is that we have remote users from Asia that
connect to Europe using a SmartCard to our W2K AD Domain. This
authentication process, in a LAN environment, only takes a second
while it takes up to a minute and longer from Asia (bandwidth is ok
but there is a high latency, distance is approx 6000 miles, so
increasing the line would not help that much - I guess).

So I was wondering if we could gain anything by using QoS and, for
this, I wanted to channel all LSA traffic to a specific port in order
to have better control over it. Because I'm not an expert in both
SmartCards and QoS (at router level I guess) I wonder if anybody can
give me some advice !

Further, do you suggest to prioritize only LSA or Kerberos as well ? I
guess I might prioritize them both.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Bye
Bar

Are you doing a login directly over the Internet, not through a VPN?

Steve Riley
steriley@microsoft.com

"barabba" <barabba72@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Is it possible ?
> I read a MS document where it clearly says that it is possible by
> tweaking the registry but I cannot find any specific information
> around.
> Does anybody know the key / value to modify or add ? I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Actually, this leads to another question.
> The reason I'm asking this is that we have remote users from Asia that
> connect to Europe using a SmartCard to our W2K AD Domain. This
> authentication process, in a LAN environment, only takes a second
> while it takes up to a minute and longer from Asia (bandwidth is ok
> but there is a high latency, distance is approx 6000 miles, so
> increasing the line would not help that much - I guess).
>
> So I was wondering if we could gain anything by using QoS and, for
> this, I wanted to channel all LSA traffic to a specific port in order
> to have better control over it. Because I'm not an expert in both
> SmartCards and QoS (at router level I guess) I wonder if anybody can
> give me some advice !
>
> Further, do you suggest to prioritize only LSA or Kerberos as well ? I
> guess I might prioritize them both.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
> Bye
> Bar