A grumble and a grouse

May 14, 2005 5:02:14 PM

I have just got an ipaq 6340 (6315 in the USA) and I love it to bits. I
know it has in some quarters had a bad press, but it does everything that
I could want an all-in-one device to do.

BUT: why oh why do providers assume that they know better their users
what apps they want to run? They provide something called ClearVue pdf
viewer, which is absolutely useless as it cannot handle reflowed text.
Have you ever tried to read an A4 page on a PPC, scrolling around the
page to follow the line of text? It's stupid, you are always going to
want to reflow the text to read on a PPC.

So I loaded Acrobat reader 2.0. But tapping on a pdf file the device
still defaults to trying to open reflowed text in ClearVue, which then
tells me it can't read the text.

Thanks God for this group: some kind soul gave advice to someone about
how to edit this in the registry, and I did so, the result being that
clicking on a pdf file now actually open the app I want to open rather
than what some idiot at HP says I should have.

The grumble: why does the IT industry insist that it knows better than
its users how they want to use their kit? Empower the user, let the user
make his own mind up about his favourite applications.

Boris

More about : grumble grouse

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:02:15 PM

Boris - Doug Ransom and I have been discussing that - in
thread "Shocked at How Much Just Doesn't Work" from 3-12-
05.

It's so sad that if things don't change I fear that the
PPC platform as we know it today - and what we hope for
the future - will be abandoned. Sorry, but I love my
PPC, and I don't want to buy a tablet PC.

As Doug and I discussed - you get so excited when you
purchase your PPC for the first time...you can't wait to
rip the box open - you throw the manual aside, put the
enclosed CD's on the table, and grab your PPC.

About an hour later your enthusiasm is still there, but
somewhat muted, when you realize that the marketing for
these devices goes much farther than the device can
deliver.

But still, your having fun, playing with this and that -
and then you have to install activesync...If there is one
thing that MUST change, it has to be activsync - don't
get me wrong, when it works, it's good. But can you
imagine being able to do so much more with it...sure you
can. (although we will see what AS 4.0 is like.)

I love my PPC, and you'll have to pry it from my cold
dead fingers for me to give it up. But then again, I've
been into computers for 25 years. I can't imagine how a
newbie does it.

this of course is IMHO, HTH, and YMMV!!

xfiler

p.s. - I thought a grouse was a bird?? 8-P

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:02:15 PM

I see your issue, but consider that the provision of the ClearVue suite is
quite a plus for the majority of PPC users. It provides a way to view
numerous desktop documents in their native form with full fidelity. A Word
doc is seen exactly as it should be as opposed to a stripped down version
with no tables, numbering etc. (this is better in WM2005). ClearVue is the
only product that will let you see a Powerpoint .ppt. All the rest convert
..ppt on the desktop, so if you get a presentation attached to an e-mail, you
would be out of luck. Yea you have to do some scrolling, but the view on
the PPC is the same as the printed page, not re-arranged by the viewer
software.

On the Adobe viewer side, it wasn't that long ago that Adobe viewing was
much the same. The whole idea behind the .pdf format was to create a
viewable file that was absolutely faithful to the authors layout. It was a
virtual replication of the printed page. Only when PDAs were going did
Adobe work towards re-flow to ease the portable experience. You may be
surprised that many people don't like Adobe's PPC viewer. It's slow,
somewhat cumbersome to use, is HUGE, and has some issues. At the moment I
can't get mine to run right on my Dell X50v. It opens, but the file dialog
doesn't populate so I can't open any files. This has been since reloading
after the latest Dell ROM update. I'll get it eventually, but it is not
critical since the majority of the docs I take with me have been converted
with Repligo, even the .pdfs.

Your beef might actually be a bit misdirected BTW. It's a shame you had to
do registry editing to change file associations. That's an OS failing in my
opinion. The File Explorer in WM is dismal. Resco Explorer would have made
that change as easy on the PPC as it is on the desktop for you. Right click
(tap and hold) a .pdf and choose associate with. Blame MS for needing a
third party tool for something that basic. Additionally it is an oversight
on Adobe's part to not provide an option in their program to re-associate
their file format to their viewer. This could at least happen during setup.
Clearvue, when installed, gives you the option of turning off all the
ActiveSync file conversions, so that the native Office docs can be viewed
correctly. I don't think you should beat up HP for providing what is a
fairly useful suite of programs for free.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Boris Borisovich" <boris@home.com> wrote in message
>I have just got an ipaq 6340 (6315 in the USA) and I love it to bits. I
> know it has in some quarters had a bad press, but it does everything that
> I could want an all-in-one device to do.
>
> BUT: why oh why do providers assume that they know better their users
> what apps they want to run? They provide something called ClearVue pdf
> viewer, which is absolutely useless as it cannot handle reflowed text.
> Have you ever tried to read an A4 page on a PPC, scrolling around the
> page to follow the line of text? It's stupid, you are always going to
> want to reflow the text to read on a PPC.
>
> So I loaded Acrobat reader 2.0. But tapping on a pdf file the device
> still defaults to trying to open reflowed text in ClearVue, which then
> tells me it can't read the text.
>
> Thanks God for this group: some kind soul gave advice to someone about
> how to edit this in the registry, and I did so, the result being that
> clicking on a pdf file now actually open the app I want to open rather
> than what some idiot at HP says I should have.
>
> The grumble: why does the IT industry insist that it knows better than
> its users how they want to use their kit? Empower the user, let the user
> make his own mind up about his favourite applications.
>
> Boris
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:40:17 PM

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in

snip

> Your beef might actually be a bit misdirected BTW. It's a shame you
> had to do registry editing to change file associations. That's an OS
> failing in my opinion. The File Explorer in WM is dismal. Resco
> Explorer would have made that change as easy on the PPC as it is on
> the desktop for you. Right click (tap and hold) a .pdf and choose
> associate with. Blame MS for needing a third party tool for something
> that basic. Additionally it is an oversight on Adobe's part to not
> provide an option in their program to re-associate their file format
> to their viewer. This could at least happen during setup. Clearvue,
> when installed, gives you the option of turning off all the ActiveSync
> file conversions, so that the native Office docs can be viewed
> correctly. I don't think you should beat up HP for providing what is
> a fairly useful suite of programs for free.

The grumble/grouse/beef is that, having kindly given me these invaluable
programs, they make it difficult for me to change them. Let's face it,
for most people, not those in this NG ;-) ,they wouldn't know how to edit
the Registry.

Well, actually I think that most of the PPC platform has to go -

- instead of Pocket Word, I use Textmaker
- instead of Pocket Excel, I use Planmaker
- Instead of PIE, I use Net Force 3
- instead of Pocket Outlook, I use Profimail
- instead of Pocket Outlook, I use Pocket Informant

So you see, to get a machine to a usable condition, that is a lot of
extra apps! And given the limitations of the original apps, they should
either offer proper apps,or make the change easier.

cheers
Boris
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:43:43 PM

"xfiler" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:2cae01c55891
$82123260$a401280a@phx.gbl:

> Boris - Doug Ransom and I have been discussing that - in
> thread "Shocked at How Much Just Doesn't Work" from 3-12-
> 05.

Thanks I'll take a look

> But still, your having fun, playing with this and that -
> and then you have to install activesync...If there is one
> thing that MUST change, it has to be activsync - don't
> get me wrong, when it works, it's good. But can you
> imagine being able to do so much more with it...sure you
> can. (although we will see what AS 4.0 is like.)

Just what is wrong with AS? I have never had any trouble with it, I think
it works well out of the box. Try working with PC Suite for the Sony
Ericsson P900.

> this of course is IMHO, HTH, and YMMV!!

Don't stretch to HTH and YMMV - you'll have to let me in on the secret

> xfiler
>
> p.s. - I thought a grouse was a bird?? 8-P

It is - probably an English expression. Think of it as a beef.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:43:44 PM

see inline ->

>$82123260$a401280a@phx.gbl:
>
>> Boris - Doug Ransom and I have been discussing that -
in
>> thread "Shocked at How Much Just Doesn't Work" from 3-
12-
>> 05.
>
>Thanks I'll take a look
>

>> But still, your having fun, playing with this and
that -
>> and then you have to install activesync...If there is
one
>> thing that MUST change, it has to be activsync - don't
>> get me wrong, when it works, it's good. But can you
>> imagine being able to do so much more with it...sure
you
>> can. (although we will see what AS 4.0 is like.)
>>
>Just what is wrong with AS? I have never had any trouble
with it, I think
>it works well out of the box. Try working with PC Suite
for the Sony
>Ericsson P900.

I would have said the same untill about a month ago -
when favorites started no syncing - it's a common enough
problem - check the news group for more.

>> this of course is IMHO, HTH, and YMMV!!
>
>Don't stretch to HTH and YMMV - you'll have to let me in
on the secret

H_ope T_his H_elps (HTH)
Y_our M_ilage M_ay V_ary (YMMV)

>> xfiler
>>
>> p.s. - I thought a grouse was a bird?? 8-P
>>

>It is - probably an English expression. Think of it as a
beef.

or a gripe ?!

xfiler

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:43:50 PM

Boris Borisovich wrote:
[...]
> The grumble: why does the IT industry insist that it knows better than
> its users how they want to use their kit? Empower the user, let the
> user make his own mind up about his favourite applications.

I don't get your complaint. If you didn't already have a PDF viewer
installed, Acrobat would have been associated with PDF files when you
installed it. Adobe will have considered that they were being nice by not
automatically overriding your existing association, and I tend to agree with
them - I hate it when applications do that.

Granted, the OS should have a built-in means to change file associations
without editing the registry, but in trying to keep the OS footprint to a
bare minimum, Microsoft in their wisdom decided that wasn't a crucial
feature. Seeing as how there are several free applications such as
PocketTweak which give users that need it that functionality, it hardly
seems a big deal. On a resource-limited platform like a PDA, being able to
pick and choose only the functions you need is very important, and you are
"empowered" to do exactly that.

Tony
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:29:40 PM

snip
> Granted, the OS should have a built-in means to change file
> associations without editing the registry, but in trying to keep the
> OS footprint to a bare minimum, Microsoft in their wisdom decided that
> wasn't a crucial feature. Seeing as how there are several free
> applications such as PocketTweak which give users that need it that
> functionality, it hardly seems a big deal. On a resource-limited
> platform like a PDA, being able to pick and choose only the functions
> you need is very important, and you are "empowered" to do exactly
> that.
>
> Tony

thanks for your views Tony, and I agree that software should not override
existing preferences - without consent.

why can't every program you install take you through a mini-wizard asking
you questions about these sorts of things? I love it when software does
that, it lets me make my machine work the way I want it to.

Boris
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 3:19:42 AM

> It _is_ frustrating for us power users, yes, and I too wish it were
> easier to change things when you do know what you're doing and will
> take responsibility for your own actions. But I wanted to show why
> maybe _all_ the blame isn't with just the providers.
>
> Rob

But it is: if only they made some effort to include wizards to find out
what users wanted at loading time, a lot of pain would go away. M$ is one
of the worst offenders: look at the Word leaps in and tries to format
documents for you as you type.

Sorry, but there is a better way. It might be more painful for suppliers
to write a wizard program that would configure programs for their users,
but it is possible. Why don't they? Laziness I suppose.

Boris
May 18, 2005 8:40:07 PM

"Boris Borisovich" <boris@home.com> wrote in message
> The grumble: why does the IT industry insist that it knows better than
> its users how they want to use their kit? Empower the user, let the user
> make his own mind up about his favourite applications.
>
> Boris

I've been using computers for years and years. I must be getting old and
cynical because I LIKE a computer that just does what you want it to do
without any fuss and with minimal user input. I am sick of having to enter
settings and having to know all the little tweaks and registry edits and
tips and hints. I can sympathise with your average non computer-literate
user. Picking up a PPC is a daunting thing. Why can't you just pick it up
and use it? No learning curve needed? How about a basic and advanced user
setting for the GUI and applications? Control when I need it, simplicity
when I just want to get the job done.
--
Westie
Anonymous

I don't see why you can't. All the little tweaks and registry edits are
absolutely not needed. Don't ever read anything but the manual, and you'll
never know about all the other things that the PPC can do, other than what
it does out of the box. I know several folks that out-of-the-box is how
their PPC is set up. It is still Pocket_PC, they have set their owner name,
because it prompts to on the Today page. It is on the default theme. It only
has the apps it came with, which are actually fairly complete for the
average user. They are just ignorant of the fact you can get a screen
rotation tool, better file managers, picture viewers, VoIP apps, etc.
Ignorance is bliss they say...they are happy.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
<lsk> wrote in message news:o ei5qO2WFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> "Boris Borisovich" <boris@home.com> wrote in message
>> The grumble: why does the IT industry insist that it knows better than
>> its users how they want to use their kit? Empower the user, let the user
>> make his own mind up about his favourite applications.
>>
>> Boris
>
> I've been using computers for years and years. I must be getting old and
> cynical because I LIKE a computer that just does what you want it to do
> without any fuss and with minimal user input. I am sick of having to
> enter settings and having to know all the little tweaks and registry edits
> and tips and hints. I can sympathise with your average non
> computer-literate user. Picking up a PPC is a daunting thing. Why can't
> you just pick it up and use it? No learning curve needed? How about a
> basic and advanced user setting for the GUI and applications? Control
> when I need it, simplicity when I just want to get the job done.
> --
> Westie

May 19, 2005 11:02:25 PM

Sven wrote:

> I don't see why you can't. All the little tweaks and registry edits are
> absolutely not needed. Don't ever read anything but the manual, and you'll
> never know about all the other things that the PPC can do, other than what
> it does out of the box. I know several folks that out-of-the-box is how
> their PPC is set up. It is still Pocket_PC, they have set their owner name,
> because it prompts to on the Today page. It is on the default theme. It only
> has the apps it came with, which are actually fairly complete for the
> average user. They are just ignorant of the fact you can get a screen
> rotation tool, better file managers, picture viewers, VoIP apps, etc.
> Ignorance is bliss they say...they are happy.

There are "users" and then there are "users / obsessives". We fall under
the latter
!