4PIN to 6PIN adaptor

Didn't realize my graphics card needed a 6pin power supply as my previous cards ran off the motherboard. I have seen adaptors online for 4pin to 6 pin.. is it better to get the 2X4PIN to 6PIN or is it ok to just use the 4PIN to 6PIN. I think my PSU is fine as it is 500W rated at 28A or so on the 12V rail (in my limitied knowledge)
7 answers Last reply
More about 4pin 6pin adaptor
  1. I have never seen a single 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCI-e plug. Being that all retail cards ship with a dual 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCI-e plug, I would go with that.

Underpowering the card would likely cause crashes at unconvienent times.
  2. I'm in the same situation... an HIS X1950 Pro AGP requires a 6-pin power connection, and the video connection on my 460W PSU is 4-pin. I had been looking at the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812189120, but the reviews make me a bit worried. Let us know what you decide to go with, and how it works out.
  3. Ok I'm going to order the 2X4pin to 6PIN.. I'll let you know how it goes.. may be a week though since I can't seem to find it at any retailers
  4. It did not work... the connector actually did not fit snuggly and I think maybe my PSU doesn't have enough power. Wouldn't buy it.
  5. Quote:
    It did not work... the connector actually did not fit snuggly and I think maybe my PSU doesn't have enough power. Wouldn't buy it.

Which actual product did you try?
  6. the 2X4 PIN to 6PIN. I would look at the 4 to 6 as an option but first of course make sure your PSU has 30 AMPs (or close) on the 12 volt rail and the X1950 PRO supposedly really needs it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Motherboards Graphics Product