Checking passwords?

I must check user passwords on my company, because it is possible that they
use same words for username and password. some of them are sitting in
intranet, the others in country behind a firewall which makes port
forwarding to user computer to access computer remotely.
of course I have administrator rights and can login and check them manually
but I want to do it silently because I must check ca 150 computers and a lot
of more users so it takes too many time to explain the reason for everybody
How can I make it quicker?

Veiko

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

i don't think you can, and even if you could you would still end up trying
to explain the same thing to every user who had a weak password. the proper
way to do this is to set a password complexity policy for the domain and
then force all existing passwords to expire so the users have to set a new
proper password.

"sql beginner" <join@mail.ee> wrote in message
> I must check user passwords on my company, because it is possible that
they
> use same words for username and password. some of them are sitting in
> intranet, the others in country behind a firewall which makes port
> forwarding to user computer to access computer remotely.
> of course I have administrator rights and can login and check them
manually
> but I want to do it silently because I must check ca 150 computers and a
lot
> of more users so it takes too many time to explain the reason for
everybody
> How can I make it quicker?
>
> Veiko

You can scan your networks with Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and it
will check for blank passwords or passwords based on the user or computer
name. In addition it will scan for other vulnerabilities such as missing
critical updates, possible unneeded services, file system type, number of
local administrator accounts, Internet Explorer security settings, and more.
It is free and available at the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

You could easily do it locally and on remote networks since you can access
remote networks via TS Remote Administration. I would also take Dave's
advice on implementing password complexity and be sure to educate users on
new password policy requirements with specific examples of what will and
will not work before you force the change. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/gtm/securityguidance/hub.mspx -- MS
small business security guidelines.

"sql beginner" <join@mail.ee> wrote in message
>I must check user passwords on my company, because it is possible that they
> use same words for username and password. some of them are sitting in
> intranet, the others in country behind a firewall which makes port
> forwarding to user computer to access computer remotely.
> of course I have administrator rights and can login and check them
> manually
> but I want to do it silently because I must check ca 150 computers and a
> lot
> of more users so it takes too many time to explain the reason for
> everybody
> How can I make it quicker?
>
> Veiko

yeah, I agree now...