Intel paid Dell $1B/yr to not use AMD!

heartview

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
posted where?

This specific article was not, but the story itself was (probably a week or so ago). This article *may* have more information, I'm not that interested in the story to go check, though. :p

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
And they failed miserably. It seemed K7 days it was more of a back and forth between the 2 than anything so really neither company outdid the other until K8 stole the show from P4 and Core 2 stole right back.

No, Intel was very successful in locking AMD in some markets using so-called "rebate strategy", especially in Japan, in which the AMD's market share dropped from over 20% to less than 10% in a year.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
And they failed miserably. It seemed K7 days it was more of a back and forth between the 2 than anything so really neither company outdid the other until K8 stole the show from P4 and Core 2 stole right back.

No, Intel was very successful in locking AMD in some markets using so-called "rebate strategy", especially in Japan, in which the AMD's market share dropped from over 20% to less than 10% in a year.

well the AMD fan bois will be up in arms over this and want heads

the INTEL fan boi will question your sanity if you believe that INTEL would do such a thing

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006

8O I don't think stealing back the show helped Intel that much as AMD is bigger than ever and with most market share than ever. Now also AMD has the biggest variety of products it ever had, it has its own comple solution for a platform, it has more fabs, is about to launch a slew of new technologies from embended devices and laptops to PC and servers, not to mention video cards.

I say the worst for AMD is just about to pass and Intel didn't even managed to scratch it very hard ...

as i knew it...Intel just gave Dell(and others).....REAL good deals on cpus..... as long as the percentage of non Intel cpus was kept down.....its the same thing....but you can not be sued over it(as they can call it a bulk discount)....

Either way those days are gone.....and both companies will continue to out do one another....K8 had(and still does) a damn good run tho....

Will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years....

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
They call it a payout, i call it a further discount to maintain services with Intel. What company would not do that, if they are offered a but load of money to use their product instead of the competitor, specially since the product was better back then.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I am not surprised and I am not naive but I think it's funny that Intel got caught red handed trying to control a market with money instead of product quality. I am sure they are not the only one but huge corporations that have the necessary means don't often get caught doing so.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
They call it a payout, i call it a further discount to maintain services with Intel. What company would not do that, if they are offered a but load of money to use their product instead of the competitor, specially since the product was better back then.

The Restrictive Trade Practices Act says otherwise. Exclusive dealing arrangements are illegal when they foreclose competitors from a substantial portion of the market.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006

yeah if coke paid off burger king to only use pepsi and not coke...then what u saying is true...

but when u own 80% of the market and you use tht weight to put the shutout on a rival...then the us anti-trust court is going to want to see the books.

sailer

Splendid
Suit: Intel paid Dell up to $1 billion a year not to use AMD chips

8O

Maybe that's AMD's new strategy. The new Treble Damages Processor! :wink:

Already read about it. The Dell owners are upset that Dell was pocketing the money without telling them, or anybody else for that matter, about it. That's really why both Dell and Intel are into trouble at the moment. If the money had been declared as a rebate or something and then showed up on the company books as such, there wouldn't be all the hastle. This could also be part of why Dell took back his place as boss of the company again, if he had found out about it and was trying to hide before the news went public.

Don't know how it will turn out, whether it will help AMD's monopoly suit against Intel, or something else, but I'd guess the IRS will be very interested in it.

Lathangrill

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
poor consummers...

Wake up guys, it's real life.
Intel is not a philantropic society, neither is AMD.
Nothing's forbidden except being caught.

sailer

Splendid
poor consummers...

Wake up guys, it's real life.
Intel is not a philantropic society, neither is AMD.
Nothing's forbidden except being caught.

I know what real life is about and not trying to seem pro AMD or pro Intel or anything. But caught by the IRS can cost a lot. So much easier to be honest in the accounting and not have to pay, and pay, and pay...