Can you get HDTV without digital cable?

If you are getting cable thru a coax cable coming into your home, and you
don't require a cable box, will HDTV signal be able to be sent thru this
cable? The problem is that I am getting cable but not getting charged. Now
I know that there are special HD channels you get on digital cable, but
standard networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) have HD programming. Is this only
available if I have a HDTV antenna, or will the coax transmit it? I do
know I need some sort of HD tuner/converter also.

Thanks for your help!
26 answers Last reply
More about hdtv digital cable

    Why are you asking us? Call your cable company and ask THEM what HD is
    available on their system.

    "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
    > If you are getting cable thru a coax cable coming into your home, and you
    > don't require a cable box, will HDTV signal be able to be sent thru this
    > cable? The problem is that I am getting cable but not getting charged.
    Now
    > I know that there are special HD channels you get on digital cable, but
    > standard networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) have HD programming. Is this only
    > available if I have a HDTV antenna, or will the coax transmit it? I do
    > know I need some sort of HD tuner/converter also.
    >

    > Thanks for your help!

    Regardless of what you do you will need an STB to decode those HD
    channels.
    Provided by your cable company!!

    --
    rcbridge

    Quote {{If you have a QAM (I believe this is the right acronym) tuner
    such as those
    provided on the Mitsubishi TV's, you may be able to get local channels
    that
    are offered if they are not scrambled.}}

    Qam is correct!!
    This is up to your cable company some will send unscrambled signals
    some won't.
    Before I would invest any money in a STB or TV.
    I would ask them, if you have a TV with a built in tuner can I view
    your HD channels!!

    --
    rcbridge

    Verizon User wrote:
    <snip>
    > The problem is that I am getting cable but not getting charged.

    I know how to fix this problem! ;^)

    Verizon User wrote:
    > If you are getting cable thru a coax cable coming into your home, and
    > you don't require a cable box, will HDTV signal be able to be sent
    > thru this cable? The problem is that I am getting cable but not
    > getting charged. Now I know that there are special HD channels you
    > get on digital cable, but standard networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) have HD
    > programming. Is this only available if I have a HDTV antenna, or will
    > the coax transmit it? I do know I need some sort of HD
    > tuner/converter also.
    >

    > Thanks for your help!

    If you have a QAM (I believe this is the right acronym) tuner such as those
    provided on the Mitsubishi TV's, you may be able to get local channels that
    are offered if they are not scrambled.

    I have a related question. I do have a QAM capable tuner built into my TV.
    Since I have not subscribed to digital cable, I am only eligible for getting
    broadcast HD content (whether I have Comcast HD box or not). Currently my
    TV can get the unscrambled broadcast channels like it's supposed to. My
    question is this. If I subscribe to digital cable, can my TV start pulling
    in the digital channels and the additional HD channels like Discovery HD and
    ESPN HD without a cable box as well? Comcast customer support is not much
    help here and always wants me to install their box at $5 a month.

    Rajendra Gondhalekar wrote:

    > If I subscribe to digital cable, can my TV start pulling
    > in the digital channels and the additional HD channels like Discovery HD and
    > ESPN HD without a cable box as well?

    No, not just yet. Maybe if you get a new TV in December. See:
    http://www.cablelabs.com/news/pr/2004/04_pr_oc_verification_061004.html

    Rajendra Gondhalekar wrote:

    > If I subscribe to digital cable, can my TV start pulling
    > in the digital channels and the additional HD channels like Discovery HD and
    > ESPN HD without a cable box as well?

    Not unless you buy a newer TV. See:

    "Rajendra Gondhalekar" <rajgon@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<EcCdneWurusT6p_cRVn-rQ@comcast.com>...
    > I have a related question. I do have a QAM capable tuner built into my TV.
    > Since I have not subscribed to digital cable, I am only eligible for getting
    > broadcast HD content (whether I have Comcast HD box or not). Currently my
    > TV can get the unscrambled broadcast channels like it's supposed to. My
    > question is this. If I subscribe to digital cable, can my TV start pulling
    > in the digital channels and the additional HD channels like Discovery HD and
    > ESPN HD without a cable box as well? Comcast customer support is not much
    > help here and always wants me to install their box at $5 a month.
    >
    > "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Verizon User wrote:
    > > > If you are getting cable thru a coax cable coming into your home, and
    > > > you don't require a cable box, will HDTV signal be able to be sent
    > > > thru this cable? The problem is that I am getting cable but not
    > > > getting charged. Now I know that there are special HD channels you
    > > > get on digital cable, but standard networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) have HD
    > > > programming. Is this only available if I have a HDTV antenna, or will
    > > > the coax transmit it? I do know I need some sort of HD
    > > > tuner/converter also.
    > > >

    > > > Thanks for your help!
    > >
    > > If you have a QAM (I believe this is the right acronym) tuner such as
    > those
    > > provided on the Mitsubishi TV's, you may be able to get local channels
    > that
    > > are offered if they are not scrambled.

    You're certainly not going to get the premium channels without a STB,
    as that is what the cable company uses to gate the access. If not STB
    were required, anyone could get it for free.

    But in the analog era somebody could have a cable ready TV, then subscribe
    to a premium channel like HBO, and then watch it without having a set top
    cable box. I am assuming this was possible because the feed was unencrypted
    at the curbside by a tech installing a filter on some kind. Why can't a
    digital cable ready TV (i.e., one with a clear QAM tuner built in) work the
    same way after I order digital cable. Can't the cable company do something
    curbside?

    "Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > "Rajendra Gondhalekar" <rajgon@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a related question. I do have a QAM capable tuner built into my
    TV.
    > > Since I have not subscribed to digital cable, I am only eligible for
    getting
    > > broadcast HD content (whether I have Comcast HD box or not). Currently
    my
    > > TV can get the unscrambled broadcast channels like it's supposed to. My
    > > question is this. If I subscribe to digital cable, can my TV start
    pulling
    > > in the digital channels and the additional HD channels like Discovery HD
    and
    > > ESPN HD without a cable box as well? Comcast customer support is not
    much
    > > help here and always wants me to install their box at $5 a month.
    > >
    > > "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote in message

    > > > If you have a QAM (I believe this is the right acronym) tuner such as
    > > those
    > > > provided on the Mitsubishi TV's, you may be able to get local channels
    > > that
    > > > are offered if they are not scrambled.
    > > >

    > You're certainly not going to get the premium channels without a STB,
    > as that is what the cable company uses to gate the access. If not STB
    > were required, anyone could get it for free.

    Rajendra Gondhalekar wrote:
    > But in the analog era somebody could have a cable ready TV, then subscribe
    > to a premium channel like HBO, and then watch it without having a set top
    > cable box. I am assuming this was possible because the feed was unencrypted
    > at the curbside by a tech installing a filter on some kind. Why can't a
    > digital cable ready TV (i.e., one with a clear QAM tuner built in) work the
    > same way after I order digital cable. Can't the cable company do something
    > curbside?

    Raj, remember the Golden Rule: Those who have the gold make the rules.

    Quote{{But in the analog era somebody could have a cable ready TV, then
    subscribe
    to a premium channel like HBO, and then watch it without having a set
    top
    cable box. I am assuming this was possible because the feed was
    unencrypted
    at the curbside by a tech installing a filter on some kind. Why can't
    digital cable ready TV (i.e., one with a clear QAM tuner built in) work
    the
    same way after I order digital cable. Can't the cable company do
    something
    curbside?}}

    The answer is no, with the newer STB's they are addressable, and this
    eliminates the need for filters curbside, essentially they can turn
    channels on and off from there headend.

    --
    rcbridge

    Rajendra Gondhalekar wrote:

    > But in the analog era somebody could have a cable ready TV, then subscribe
    > to a premium channel like HBO, and then watch it without having a set top
    > cable box. I am assuming this was possible because the feed was unencrypted
    > at the curbside by a tech installing a filter on some kind. Why can't a
    > digital cable ready TV (i.e., one with a clear QAM tuner built in) work the
    > same way after I order digital cable. Can't the cable company do something
    > curbside?

    Yes they can, but not at the curb. Your receiver will have to have a
    slot for a CAM (Conditional Access Module), and most of the new ones
    will. You will not need an STB if you have an ATSC/QAM receiver with a
    slot for a CAM.

    Matthew

    --
    Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
    You can't win

    Is the CAM what is called the cable card?

    "Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
    > Rajendra Gondhalekar wrote:
    >
    > > But in the analog era somebody could have a cable ready TV, then
    subscribe
    > > to a premium channel like HBO, and then watch it without having a set
    top
    > > cable box. I am assuming this was possible because the feed was
    unencrypted
    > > at the curbside by a tech installing a filter on some kind. Why can't a
    > > digital cable ready TV (i.e., one with a clear QAM tuner built in) work
    the
    > > same way after I order digital cable. Can't the cable company do
    something
    > > curbside?
    > >

    > Yes they can, but not at the curb. Your receiver will have to have a
    > slot for a CAM (Conditional Access Module), and most of the new ones
    > will. You will not need an STB if you have an ATSC/QAM receiver with a
    > slot for a CAM.
    >
    > Matthew
    >
    > --
    > Thermodynamics for dummies: There is a game
    > You can't win
    > You can't break even
    > You can't get out of the game

    Rajendra Gondhalekar wrote:

    > Is the CAM what is called the cable card?

    Probably.

    Matthew

    --

    rcbridge wrote:
    > Quote {{If you have a QAM (I believe this is the right acronym) tuner
    > such as those
    > provided on the Mitsubishi TV's, you may be able to get local channels
    > that
    > are offered if they are not scrambled.}}
    >
    > Qam is correct!!
    > This is up to your cable company some will send unscrambled signals
    > some won't.
    > Before I would invest any money in a STB or TV.
    > I would ask them, if you have a TV with a built in tuner can I view
    > your HD channels!!

    I've hooked up mine in out of curiosity without the STB (Mits 55511) and I
    can get the locals that way (takes awhile to find them). No premiums or
    INHD, but the locals are fine. Of course, Comcast has made some system
    changes, so mileage may vary.

    If one already has the equipment, it doesn't hurt to give it a go....

    Rajendra Gondhalekar wrote:
    > I have a related question. I do have a QAM capable tuner built into
    > my TV. Since I have not subscribed to digital cable, I am only
    > eligible for getting broadcast HD content (whether I have Comcast HD
    > box or not). Currently my TV can get the unscrambled broadcast
    > channels like it's supposed to. My question is this. If I subscribe
    > to digital cable, can my TV start pulling in the digital channels and
    > the additional HD channels like Discovery HD and ESPN HD without a
    > cable box as well? Comcast customer support is not much help here
    > and always wants me to install their box at $5 a month.

    You can try your cable now and and see what channels your area has that
    isn't scrambled. It can vary (and change). The signals are still available
    with analog cable, it's the tuner that is missing (which you have).

    Last I checked, I could get my locals in HD and some of the other digital SD
    stations as well (ones that were available with the lowest tier digital
    service).

    It may take about an hour to scan all the frequencies.

    > "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Verizon User wrote:
    >>> If you are getting cable thru a coax cable coming into your home,
    >>> and you don't require a cable box, will HDTV signal be able to be
    >>> sent thru this cable? The problem is that I am getting cable but
    >>> not getting charged. Now I know that there are special HD channels
    >>> you get on digital cable, but standard networks (ABC, CBS, NBC)
    >>> have HD programming. Is this only available if I have a HDTV
    >>> antenna, or will the coax transmit it? I do know I need some sort
    >>> of HD tuner/converter also.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> If you have a QAM (I believe this is the right acronym) tuner such
    >> as those provided on the Mitsubishi TV's, you may be able to get
    >> local channels that are offered if they are not scrambled.

    Rajendra Gondhalekar wrote:
    > But in the analog era somebody could have a cable ready TV, then
    > subscribe to a premium channel like HBO, and then watch it without
    > having a set top cable box. I am assuming this was possible because
    > the feed was unencrypted at the curbside by a tech installing a
    > filter on some kind. Why can't a digital cable ready TV (i.e., one
    > with a clear QAM tuner built in) work the same way after I order
    > digital cable. Can't the cable company do something curbside?

    The STB they use are addressable from the CO of the cable company. Each one
    has it's own MAC/IP address.....(they have cable modems in them).

    You digital signals are already present in your analog cable. Just give it
    a go, plug it into the DTV tuner and scan for channels.

    > "Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >> "Rajendra Gondhalekar" <rajgon@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> I have a related question. I do have a QAM capable tuner built
    >>> into my TV. Since I have not subscribed to digital cable, I am only
    >>> eligible for getting broadcast HD content (whether I have Comcast
    >>> HD box or not). Currently my TV can get the unscrambled broadcast
    >>> channels like it's supposed to. My question is this. If I
    >>> subscribe to digital cable, can my TV start pulling in the digital
    >>> channels and the additional HD channels like Discovery HD and ESPN
    >>> HD without a cable box as well? Comcast customer support is not
    >>> much help here and always wants me to install their box at $5 a
    >>> month.
    >>>
    >>> "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote in message

    >>> those
    >>> that
    >>>>

    >> You're certainly not going to get the premium channels without a STB,
    >> as that is what the cable company uses to gate the access. If not
    >> STB were required, anyone could get it for free.

    There is a differnet standard for digital HD tv between Over the Air
    Broadcasts and Cable. Few Cable companys are allowing Over the Air signals
    unaltered on cable. You must have a CABLE set top box to receive HD from
    cable. I'm hoping this will change as more people have built in HD tuners
    in their TV's. It won't hurt to "memorize" the channels on cable, you have
    to do that anyway. If your cable company is more enlightened then some of
    your channels will be HD. The only way to know this other than the
    SOMETIMES obvious picture is to press the info button for that channel.

    Digital channels will also not work with your HD TV tuner.

    Jeff Rigby wrote:
    > There is a differnet standard for digital HD tv between Over the Air
    > Broadcasts and Cable. Few Cable companys are allowing Over the Air
    > signals unaltered on cable. You must have a CABLE set top box to
    > receive HD from cable.

    I've pulled in CBS ABC NBC here in the bay area without the STB. It was
    sometime last year, and it may have changed, but I was able to get them and
    a couple of other digital stations from the basic digital package.

    > I'm hoping this will change as more people
    > have built in HD tuners in their TV's.

    Yes, mine is built in and is QAM. It will pick up unscrambled digital cable
    signals.

    > It won't hurt to "memorize"
    > the channels on cable, you have to do that anyway. If your cable
    > company is more enlightened then some of your channels will be HD.
    > The only way to know this other than the SOMETIMES obvious picture is
    > to press the info button for that channel.
    >
    > Digital channels will also not work with your HD TV tuner.

    As I stated, I have had them without the STB. Mileage may vary dependent on
    cable system, of course.

    > "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Rajendra Gondhalekar wrote:
    >>> But in the analog era somebody could have a cable ready TV, then
    >>> subscribe to a premium channel like HBO, and then watch it without
    >>> having a set top cable box. I am assuming this was possible because
    >>> the feed was unencrypted at the curbside by a tech installing a
    >>> filter on some kind. Why can't a digital cable ready TV (i.e., one
    >>> with a clear QAM tuner built in) work the same way after I order
    >>> digital cable. Can't the cable company do something curbside?
    >>
    >> The STB they use are addressable from the CO of the cable company.
    >> Each one has it's own MAC/IP address.....(they have cable modems in
    >> them).
    >>
    >> You digital signals are already present in your analog cable. Just
    >> give it a go, plug it into the DTV tuner and scan for channels.
    >>

    >>> "Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message

    Greetings,
    I purchase cable service from Time Warner Cable in the Triad region on
    North Carolina. I originally was paying for "Basic Cable" for aroun
    $7/month. Then I bought my HDTV and didn't wan't to pay the $50/month
    for digital cable which not only gave me some HD channels, but also
    SD/ED channels I wasn't interested in.

    Bottom line:
    After talking with a cable customer service representative, I found
    out that I could order the "Digital Service" package. This is
    $12/month. It basically pays for the rental of the HD Pace cable box
    w/ remote control. With this, I get my "Basic Cable" channels /and/
    ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC local digital programming (HD when available) /and/
    Discovery HD, TNT-HD, UNC-HD (PBS).

    So there you have it. For around $20/month I get most of the HD
    content available to me. If I wanted to add
    HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/INHD/HDNET, I could add any of those and get
    their HD programming.

    In fact, I loved the HD content sooo much, I ordered the
    INHD/INHD2/HDNET/HDMOVIES package for $7/month. It is worth every
    penny. IMHO, it is worth the extra money to have commercial-free
    programming. Discovery HD, UNC-HD, INHD, INHD2, HDNET, and HDMOVIES
    are all commercial free. I really like that.

    Good luck.

    "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message news:<2ftMc.3159$Lb4.1046@trndny04>...
    > If you are getting cable thru a coax cable coming into your home, and you
    > don't require a cable box, will HDTV signal be able to be sent thru this
    > cable? The problem is that I am getting cable but not getting charged. Now
    > I know that there are special HD channels you get on digital cable, but
    > standard networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) have HD programming. Is this only
    > available if I have a HDTV antenna, or will the coax transmit it? I do
    > know I need some sort of HD tuner/converter also.
    >

    > Thanks for your help!

    If you could get off air analog TV with rabbit ears, you may not need
    to go to heroic measures. Often a two bay stacked screen type antenna
    with bowtie elements is sufficient. At 15 miles from our transmitter
    site I get all the DTV signals with rabbit ears. The long monster
    antennas plus an amp are needed out in locations that are 40 or 50
    miles away.
    The major problem for people close to a transmitter site is that the
    best signal may be a ghost bounced off a building. The main signal now
    becomes a leading ghost relative to the "good" signal. The early
    receivers hadn't anticipated that problem and the ones we are getting
    now can handle it. In those cases it was sometimes necessary to use a
    highly directional antenna to exclude the unwanted signal.
    Roy

    joe.waddell@gmail.com (Joe) wrote in message news:<4ad9c11e.0407270410.46c52ef0@posting.google.com>...
    > Greetings,
    > I purchase cable service from Time Warner Cable in the Triad region on
    > North Carolina. I originally was paying for "Basic Cable" for aroun
    > $7/month. Then I bought my HDTV and didn't wan't to pay the $50/month
    > for digital cable which not only gave me some HD channels, but also
    > SD/ED channels I wasn't interested in.
    >
    > Bottom line:
    > After talking with a cable customer service representative, I found
    > out that I could order the "Digital Service" package. This is
    > $12/month. It basically pays for the rental of the HD Pace cable box
    > w/ remote control. With this, I get my "Basic Cable" channels /and/
    > ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC local digital programming (HD when available) /and/
    > Discovery HD, TNT-HD, UNC-HD (PBS).
    >
    > So there you have it. For around $20/month I get most of the HD
    > content available to me. If I wanted to add
    > HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/INHD/HDNET, I could add any of those and get
    > their HD programming.
    >
    > In fact, I loved the HD content sooo much, I ordered the
    > INHD/INHD2/HDNET/HDMOVIES package for $7/month. It is worth every
    > penny. IMHO, it is worth the extra money to have commercial-free
    > programming. Discovery HD, UNC-HD, INHD, INHD2, HDNET, and HDMOVIES
    > are all commercial free. I really like that.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message news:<2ftMc.3159$Lb4.1046@trndny04>...
    > > If you are getting cable thru a coax cable coming into your home, and you
    > > don't require a cable box, will HDTV signal be able to be sent thru this
    > > cable? The problem is that I am getting cable but not getting charged. Now
    > > I know that there are special HD channels you get on digital cable, but
    > > standard networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) have HD programming. Is this only
    > > available if I have a HDTV antenna, or will the coax transmit it? I do
    > > know I need some sort of HD tuner/converter also.
    > >

    > > Thanks for your help!
  23. To answer your question yes u can ! I know what you are talking about and have done it ,and can do . .. But will be back on how to .In two days .. to give you the info..112110...
  24. Thread is 6 1/2 years old.
    Mods, please lock.
  25. Quote:

    Regardless of what you do you will need an STB to decode those HD
    channels.
    Provided by your cable company!!

    --
    rcbridge

    If you want to help someone asking a technical question, please do not use and acronym without saying what it stands for. An explanation is helpful.
  26. Quote:
    To answer your question yes u can ! I know what you are talking about and have done it ,and can do . .. But will be back on how to .In two days .. to give you the info..112110...

    hello, can you tell me how to do this ? my tv is not digital & i have no cable provider service .

HDTV Cable HD Home Theatre