• 25 %
  • 1.35V~1.375V
  • 0 %
  • 1.375V~1.4V
  • 13 %
  • >1.4V
  • 0 %
February 15, 2007 4:30:53 PM

My VCore is set to 1.3V and it boots up Windows XP and run TAT 2+ hour with no problem. However, it does have random resets now and then (not often). Even increasing it to 1.325V stock, it still randomly resets sometimes. What's your stable voltage?

More about : vcore e6400 stable

February 15, 2007 5:27:03 PM

... mines run at stock auto v-core...

p5b duluxe takes good care of me. even at 3.30 :p 
February 15, 2007 5:43:09 PM

Quote:
My VCore is set to 1.3V and it boots up Windows XP and run TAT 2+ hour with no problem. However, it does have random resets now and then (not often). Even increasing it to 1.325V stock, it still randomly resets sometimes. What's your stable voltage?

I run mine at 1.4v. The "auto" is a little higher, but the 1.4v seems cooler and stable enough. If I lower the volts more, the system is unstable. If I increase the clock-speed more, then I need to raise the volts.
3.2 is where I'm happy now.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2007 6:49:26 PM

Quote:

First, althopugh I can appreciate your question, there is no clear answer to this topic, as I will explain below, however, your poll will be helpful to determine what is typical for the E6400.

Second, TAT is a tool which is best utilized to determine CPU and case cooling efficiency in 10 minutes, however, it is not the tool of choice for testing system stability, thus your random resets.

Understand there are no solid state devices 100% identical. Every piece of silicon is unique, and every nano-circuit has different basic properties of electronics such as resistance, capacitance, inductance, impedance, and transconductance. Although two consecutive serial number CPU's from the same fabrication, with the same stepping codes may appear identical, they're yielded from different location on the silicon wafer from which they're manufactured, and like diamonds, each has it's own unique flaws.

Even though their dynamic operational characteristics may be very similar, no two CPU's will overclock to exactly the same stable maximum speed, at the same Vcore, at the same temperatures. Additionally, in a dual core processor, one core will always become unstable before the other. Beyond what is know as "typical" for certain CPU's, it is not possible to predict at what clock speed the cores will become unstable, at which frequency, and how much Vcore.

I hope this helps, as this is the most appropriate answer I can provide for this topic.

Comp 8)
February 15, 2007 7:31:24 PM

cant say anything about 3.2, but I am running stock volts at 2.8. might play around a bit to push it up more, which brings up my own question, what volts are peeps looking at for the 975X NB for these higher clocks?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2007 7:39:29 PM

The 975 chipset typically requires 1.65 Vmch for 400 Mhz FSB. 8)
February 15, 2007 7:43:33 PM

Thanks for the explaination. So what are the tools to test stability? I'm also suspecting it's my RAM that's causing the problem. Because I'm running my generic (super talent) PC5300 667M RAM at 1.8V at 800MHZ.
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2007 8:16:57 PM

Quote:

my e6600 at FSB400 (1600) had issues like that, turned out to be memory, up'd the vcore a touch and that fixed it
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2007 8:18:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the explaination. So what are the tools to test stability? I'm also suspecting it's my RAM that's causing the problem. Because I'm running my generic (super talent) PC5300 667M RAM at 1.8V at 800MHZ.

Orthos priority 9 small FFT's, dual instances of Prime95, or Everest work very well to stress test system stability. Also, 1.8 Vdimm is the default value for DDR2, and most memory modules quickly require increased voltage when OC'd. Some won't even post at 1.8.

Check with Super Talent's website to see what the recommended voltage is for your model number RAM, and set it to that value. If it's stable, then you can experiment to find the Vdimm threshold for your OC. Many DDR2 modules are specified for Vdimm values of ~ 2.1, so as you suspect, your memory is probably the source if your instability.

Hope this helps. 8)
February 16, 2007 4:51:48 PM

I found out the reason of the reboot. Turned out to be the piece of crap software zonealarm, srescan.sys is causing random reboot when I start firefox. Appearantly there are lots of reports. After uninstalling it and ran ORTHOS, my PC is stable at 800MZ FBS, E6400@1.33V DDR2@1.8V! Have to say super talent is such a good RAM!
February 16, 2007 5:18:26 PM

Wow, I was going to ask the exact same question.
Thanks for asking it for me. ;\
February 16, 2007 5:35:57 PM

Just want to say thank you for all the O/Cers on this forum. I've gotten so many helps here!
!