Pinner73

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Currently on my Asus P5WDH I am running 2x300 gb HDD in RAID 0. What I am looking to do is to use a Raptor HDD for the OS "no raid", then use my current 2x300gb HDD to run in Raid 0, plus another HDD for a "no RAID" scratch disk. Has anyone on here done this with the P5WDH and if so, How did you do it?

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I have 4 SATA drives connected to my P5W-DH in a slightly different configuration. I recall it was a royal pain to get it right and have since forgot how it is set up. I will look at my BIOS when I get home later and report back though.

I believe my setup is two 36GB raptors in RAID0 on the primary (1 and 2?) connections. Then I have a 250GB and 300GB drives connected to the red SATA connections. If I recall correctly the two orange SATA connectors gave me enough trouble to give up on them.

I will try to confirm this for you later.

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I confirmed that is my setup. You should be able to set the single raptor as your boot drive pretty easily in the BIOS. Good luck.

mobo57

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
I have had that set up before. Set up your non-RAID disks on the Intel SATA's, 1 & 2, not the orange plugs. Put your RAID on the SI plugs 5 & 6. In BIOS set the intel controller as non raid. SI set as RAID no boot rom. You will need to set the boot drive also. Let me know if you need the specific BIOS settings.
The two orange plugs for the quick raid are actually 1 sata plug split into two. Good for the n00b who wants to play with a RAID 0 or have the safety of a RAID 1, but not very efficient. You can also get a esata cable and use the other plug in the back.
The most I had on my system was 2 RAID 0's, the first with three drives on the Intel, the second with two drives on one SI, and a scratch drive on the esata.