Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 26, 2004 12:35:06 PM

Hi,

I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to view the
logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs are
selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Aaron Young

More about : access denied event viewer logs

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 26, 2004 11:31:53 PM

First try to clear the logs in case they are corrupt. You will be given the
option to save the log to a file if it contains important information. ---
Steve

"Aaron Young" <Aaron Young@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to view
> the
> logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs are
> selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
> complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".
>
> Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron Young
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 26, 2004 11:31:54 PM

Hi Steven,

I am afraid that I don't have access to the logs to be able to save them. I
think the problem is more a security issue than a corruption problem.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Aaron

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> First try to clear the logs in case they are corrupt. You will be given the
> option to save the log to a file if it contains important information. ---
> Steve
>

> "Aaron Young" <Aaron Young@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to view
> > the
> > logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs are
> > selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
> > complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".
> >
> > Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Aaron Young

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 27, 2004 2:03:23 AM

You still might be able to clear the logs if the problem is corruption.
Sometimes the error messages that you get are a bit deceptive and generic
and may not actually be a permission problem. Did this just start happening
suddenly? What is the operating system of the computer and domain controller
if in a domain? Is this happening on just one domain computer, domain
controller, or all? The link below may be pertinent. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829246#kb1

> Hi Steven,
>
> I am afraid that I don't have access to the logs to be able to save them.
> think the problem is more a security issue than a corruption problem.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron
>
> "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
>
>> First try to clear the logs in case they are corrupt. You will be given
>> the
>> option to save the log to a file if it contains important
>> formation. ---
>> Steve
>>

>> "Aaron Young" <Aaron Young@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to
>> > view
>> > the
>> > logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs
>> > are
>> > selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
>> > complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".
>> >
>> > Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Aaron Young

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 27, 2004 11:55:04 AM

Hi Steven,

I am afraid the hotfix didn't resolve the problem.

There are two W2000 Domain Controller Servers. The Event Logs can be
accessed by the Administrator without problem on one of the servers while the
other server reports accessed denied.

The problem started immediately on the second server when it was promoted to
a Domain Controller. I have since demoted it but the event log access problem
remains.

I am ready to shoot it out the window!!!

Regards,

Aaron

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> You still might be able to clear the logs if the problem is corruption.
> Sometimes the error messages that you get are a bit deceptive and generic
> and may not actually be a permission problem. Did this just start happening
> suddenly? What is the operating system of the computer and domain controller
> if in a domain? Is this happening on just one domain computer, domain
> controller, or all? The link below may be pertinent. --- Steve
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829246#kb1
>
> "Aaron Young" <AaronYoung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Steven,
> >
> > I am afraid that I don't have access to the logs to be able to save them.
> > think the problem is more a security issue than a corruption problem.
> >
> > Thanks anyway.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Aaron
> >
> > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
> >
> >> First try to clear the logs in case they are corrupt. You will be given
> >> the
> >> option to save the log to a file if it contains important
> >> formation. ---
> >> Steve
> >>

> >> "Aaron Young" <Aaron Young@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 27, 2004 10:25:06 PM

That is darn curious, particularly that the administrator can access the
security log but not the others. You might try the procedure in the link
below also. Other than that I am out of ideas. Make sure that the problem
server points ONLY to the other domain controller as it's preferred dns
server in tcp/ip properties. Dns problems can cause a lot of strange issues.
Try viewing the system and application logs from the other server [use
Computer Management - action/connect to another computer ] to see if that
can be done and maybe you will see some pertinent info. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;172156

> Hi Steven,
>
> I am afraid the hotfix didn't resolve the problem.
>
> There are two W2000 Domain Controller Servers. The Event Logs can be
> accessed by the Administrator without problem on one of the servers while
> the
> other server reports accessed denied.
>
> The problem started immediately on the second server when it was promoted
> a Domain Controller. I have since demoted it but the event log access
> problem
> remains.
>
> I am ready to shoot it out the window!!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron
>

> "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
>
>> You still might be able to clear the logs if the problem is corruption.
>> Sometimes the error messages that you get are a bit deceptive and generic
>> and may not actually be a permission problem. Did this just start
>> happening
>> suddenly? What is the operating system of the computer and domain
>> controller
>> if in a domain? Is this happening on just one domain computer, domain
>> controller, or all? The link below may be pertinent. --- Steve
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829246#kb1
>>
>> "Aaron Young" <AaronYoung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Steven,
>> >
>> > I am afraid that I don't have access to the logs to be able to save
>> > them.
>> > think the problem is more a security issue than a corruption problem.
>> >
>> > Thanks anyway.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Aaron

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 27, 2004 10:25:07 PM

Hi Steven,

The DNS is correctly setup and the server which can't read it's own logs,
can read the logs on the other server. The server which can read it's own
logs can't read the logs on the server with the problem.

I am going to take a more direct approach - FORMAT C: followed by SETUP.EXE!!

I really appreciate your time on this problem as I have less hair now than
when I started.

Thanks again.

Aaron