Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs

Hi,

I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to view the
logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs are
selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Aaron Young
3 answers Last reply
More about access denied event viewer logs

    Hello,

    Thank you for posting.

    I understand that the administrator is unable to view the event logs and
    the system displays error message.

    Please check if the administrator is the member of guest group. If yes,
    please remove the membership for administrator. Now check if you are able
    to view the logs.

    I hope the above information helps to resolve your issue. If there is
    anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a
    nice day!

    Rashmi

    --------------------
    <AaronYoung@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | Subject: Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs
    | Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:35:03 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
    |
    | Hi,
    |
    | I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to view
    the
    | logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs
    are
    | selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
    | complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".
    |
    | Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Aaron Young

    Hi Rashmi,

    I am afraid the Administrator is not a member of the Guest group.

    Thanks for the help anyway.

    Regards,

    Aaron

    "Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Thank you for posting.
    >
    > I understand that the administrator is unable to view the event logs and
    > the system displays error message.
    >
    > Please check if the administrator is the member of guest group. If yes,
    > please remove the membership for administrator. Now check if you are able
    > to view the logs.
    >
    > I hope the above information helps to resolve your issue. If there is
    > anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a
    > nice day!
    >
    > Rashmi

    > --------------------
    > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24gWW91bmc=?="
    > <AaronYoung@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > | Subject: Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs
    > | Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:35:03 -0700
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
    > |
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to view
    > the
    > | logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs
    > are
    > | selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
    > | complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".
    > |
    > | Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!
    > |
    > | Regards,
    > |
    > | Aaron Young

    Hello,

    Please execute the command "whoami /all". List the groups that the user is
    member of. Also open the local guests group, domain guests group and check
    for membership. By default, there on two members: "Domain Guests" group and
    the Guest account. If there are other members, please remove it

    I see almost all the previous issues were resolved by removing the affected
    user from the guests group.

    Let us the result.

    regards,

    Rashmi

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24gWW91bmc=?="
    <AaronYoung@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | Subject: RE: Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs
    | Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:25:11 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
    |
    | Hi Rashmi,
    |
    | I am afraid the Administrator is not a member of the Guest group.
    |
    | Thanks for the help anyway.
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Aaron
    |
    | "Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > Hello,
    | >
    | > Thank you for posting.
    | >
    | > I understand that the administrator is unable to view the event logs
    and
    | > the system displays error message.
    | >
    | > Please check if the administrator is the member of guest group. If yes,
    | > please remove the membership for administrator. Now check if you are
    able
    | > to view the logs.
    | >
    | > I hope the above information helps to resolve your issue. If there is
    | > anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a
    | > nice day!
    | >
    | > Rashmi

    rights.
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24gWW91bmc=?="
    | > <AaronYoung@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | > | Subject: Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs
    | > | Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:35:03 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
    | > |
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > | I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to
    view
    | > the
    | > | logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the
    logs
    | > are
    | > | selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable
    | > | complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".
    | > |
    | > | Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!
    | > |
    | > | Regards,
    | > |
    | > | Aaron Young