Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
October 26, 2004 12:35:03 PM

Hi,

I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to view the
logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs are
selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Aaron Young
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 27, 2004 12:19:10 PM

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

I understand that the administrator is unable to view the event logs and
the system displays error message.

Please check if the administrator is the member of guest group. If yes,
please remove the membership for administrator. Now check if you are able
to view the logs.

I hope the above information helps to resolve your issue. If there is
anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a
nice day!

Rashmi

--------------------
<AaronYoung@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs
| Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:35:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
|
| Hi,
|
| I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to view
the
| logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs
are
| selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
| complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".
|
| Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!
|
| Regards,
|
| Aaron Young

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
October 27, 2004 12:19:11 PM

Hi Rashmi,

I am afraid the Administrator is not a member of the Guest group.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Regards,

Aaron

"Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for posting.
>
> I understand that the administrator is unable to view the event logs and
> the system displays error message.
>
> Please check if the administrator is the member of guest group. If yes,
> please remove the membership for administrator. Now check if you are able
> to view the logs.
>
> I hope the above information helps to resolve your issue. If there is
> anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a
> nice day!
>
> Rashmi

> --------------------
> | From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24gWW91bmc=?="
> <AaronYoung@discussions.microsoft.com>
> | Subject: Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs
> | Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:35:03 -0700
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
> |
> | Hi,
> |
> | I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to view
> the
> | logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the logs
> are
> | selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable to
> | complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".
> |
> | Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!
> |
> | Regards,
> |
> | Aaron Young

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
November 3, 2004 4:43:09 AM

Hello,

Please execute the command "whoami /all". List the groups that the user is
member of. Also open the local guests group, domain guests group and check
for membership. By default, there on two members: "Domain Guests" group and
the Guest account. If there are other members, please remove it

I see almost all the previous issues were resolved by removing the affected
user from the guests group.

Let us the result.

regards,

Rashmi

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24gWW91bmc=?="
<AaronYoung@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: RE: Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs
| Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:25:11 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
|
| Hi Rashmi,
|
| I am afraid the Administrator is not a member of the Guest group.
|
| Thanks for the help anyway.
|
| Regards,
|
| Aaron
|
| "Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > Thank you for posting.
| >
| > I understand that the administrator is unable to view the event logs
and
| > the system displays error message.
| >
| > Please check if the administrator is the member of guest group. If yes,
| > please remove the membership for administrator. Now check if you are
able
| > to view the logs.
| >
| > I hope the above information helps to resolve your issue. If there is
| > anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a
| > nice day!
| >
| > Rashmi

rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24gWW91bmc=?="
| > <AaronYoung@discussions.microsoft.com>
| > | Subject: Access is Denied to Event Viewer logs
| > | Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:35:03 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I don't know what has happened but the Administrator is not able to
view
| > the
| > | logs in the Event Viewer except the Security log. When any of the
logs
| > are
| > | selected (the Application log in this example), the message "Unable
| > | complete the operation on 'Application'. Access is denied".
| > |
| > | Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!
| > |
| > | Regards,
| > |
| > | Aaron Young