Return Asus P5N-E SLI for Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3??

NateKingCole

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
Here's the Deal. I bought the Asus about 2 weeks ago, assembled and everything is fine. I haven't bothered to overclock yet because I haven't felt like I needed any performance boost yet. The thing I don't like about the Asus is that the northbridge is freaking HOT. I re-seated the heat sync with thermal past and everything. I used a sensor and measured it at about 55C, then I installed a fan to increase air flow and got it down to about 40C. Also I flashed the BIOS and now I get 2-3 weird screen glitches (flash of horizontal white) when I'm booting my computer. I can only assume that this will be fixed in future BIOS updates. Really, at first I thought I might SLI, but re-thinking, I don't think I will (will just buy a DX10 card in a year or so). I will be overclocking soon though. I don't know, anybody have any thoughts here. I got about a week or two to make up my mind as whether to return my mainboard. Oh also I will be shelling out about 30$ to do this exchange. Worth it?

Thanks to all who reply.

[edit: sorry meant to post this is general motherboard forum, if a moderator comes across this, you could move it for me, thanks, but it's ok here too i guess.]

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Well im not sure how the asus works, but yeah ive had a asus northbridge fan which sucked also. They need to rethink there northbridge coolers. Anyways The DS3 is really nice a friend of mine has it.

Latest posts