Closed

Reset password

OS: Win2000 Adv.Server (PDC)
I need to reset login password on the server.
How I can reset it?
4 answers Last reply
More about reset password

    Which password - the local sam password for Directory Services Restore that
    is stored in the local sam? If so see the link below for more info including
    the use of the setpwd command. Otherwise any administrator in the domain
    can change reset the password on any domain account including the built in
    administrator account for the domain by going to the account in Active
    Directory Users and Computers, selecting the account and right clicking to
    see the reset password option.--- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;239803&sd=tech

    "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > OS: Win2000 Adv.Server (PDC)
    > I need to reset login password on the server.
    > How I can reset it?

    thanks for the reply
    I just took over a network. This password is used when I login to the server
    (on the server) and map a network drive on workstations.
    so i'm not sure if it's sam or built in admin account, I"m green to it.

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > Which password - the local sam password for Directory Services Restore that
    > is stored in the local sam? If so see the link below for more info including
    > the use of the setpwd command. Otherwise any administrator in the domain
    > can change reset the password on any domain account including the built in
    > administrator account for the domain by going to the account in Active
    > Directory Users and Computers, selecting the account and right clicking to
    > see the reset password option.--- Steve
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;239803&sd=tech
    >
    > "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > OS: Win2000 Adv.Server (PDC)
    > > I need to reset login password on the server.
    > > How I can reset it?

    If you are logging onto the domain then use control-alt-delete to bring up
    the security menu while logged on with that account and select change
    password box to change your own password. The link below is for security
    basics for small businesses which you may find useful on your network. Keep
    in mind that the built in Windows help is excellent for finding out how to
    do most everything. Go to the start menu, select help, and use index to
    search for topics. I also suggest you buy the Pocket Consultant for Windows
    2000 to learn how to do many tasks. -- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/gtm/securityguidance/hub.mspx
    http://www.bookpool.com/.x/7beswsdny8/sm/0735617929 -- Windows 2000 Pocket
    Consultant

    > thanks for the reply
    > I just took over a network. This password is used when I login to the
    > server
    > (on the server) and map a network drive on workstations.
    > so i'm not sure if it's sam or built in admin account, I"m green to it.
    >
    > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
    >
    >> Which password - the local sam password for Directory Services Restore
    >> that
    >> is stored in the local sam? If so see the link below for more info
    >> including
    >> the use of the setpwd command. Otherwise any administrator in the domain
    >> can change reset the password on any domain account including the built
    >> in
    >> administrator account for the domain by going to the account in Active
    >> Directory Users and Computers, selecting the account and right clicking
    >> see the reset password option.--- Steve
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;239803&sd=tech
    >>
    >> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > OS: Win2000 Adv.Server (PDC)
    >> > I need to reset login password on the server.
    >> > How I can reset it?

    thank you Steve

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > If you are logging onto the domain then use control-alt-delete to bring up
    > the security menu while logged on with that account and select change
    > password box to change your own password. The link below is for security
    > basics for small businesses which you may find useful on your network. Keep
    > in mind that the built in Windows help is excellent for finding out how to
    > do most everything. Go to the start menu, select help, and use index to
    > search for topics. I also suggest you buy the Pocket Consultant for Windows
    > 2000 to learn how to do many tasks. -- Steve
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/gtm/securityguidance/hub.mspx
    > http://www.bookpool.com/.x/7beswsdny8/sm/0735617929 -- Windows 2000 Pocket
    > Consultant
    >
    > "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > thanks for the reply
    > > I just took over a network. This password is used when I login to the
    > > server
    > > (on the server) and map a network drive on workstations.
    > > so i'm not sure if it's sam or built in admin account, I"m green to it.
    > >
    > > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Which password - the local sam password for Directory Services Restore
    > >> that
    > >> is stored in the local sam? If so see the link below for more info
    > >> including
    > >> the use of the setpwd command. Otherwise any administrator in the domain
    > >> can change reset the password on any domain account including the built
    > >> in
    > >> administrator account for the domain by going to the account in Active
    > >> Directory Users and Computers, selecting the account and right clicking
    > >> see the reset password option.--- Steve
    > >>
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;239803&sd=tech
    > >>
    > >> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Security Microsoft Reset Password Servers Windows