Sign in with
Your question

Need help Badly struggling with this problem

Last response: in Networking
October 25, 2006 3:58:01 PM

Hello,

hopefully i am in the right are for the forums. I have a gateway laptop with windows media edition 2005 which is a friends notebook. He lost his cd for windows etc...

The problem is, when it boots to windows it takes like 3-5 mintues for the network Icon to show up on the screen on the bottom right corner of the clock. once is shows up the dsl suddenly works. I googled everywhere and cant find a solution. its so frustrating. I have uninstalled the driver of the onboard nic. and wireless as well.

Is there something in the registry causing this? or a tweak that will fix this.
I really need someones help. It should just boot to windows and get a network connection right away. I have tried this at home and at the network at my work place.

can someone make any suggestions or is there some hotfix i dont know about?

Thanks in advance.
October 25, 2006 5:04:40 PM

Quote:
The problem is, when it boots to windows it takes like 3-5 mintues for the network Icon to show up on the screen on the bottom right corner of the clock. ... It should just boot to windows and get a network connection right away...
Not necessarily - how much other stuff is loading when the system boots? All the little background programs for everything from your virus scanner to your CD packet burning application load at startup, and the more of this stuff your friend has, the longer boot up will take. It can also be caused by a computer that has been infested with spyware. When was the last time:

1) A spyware scan was run,
2) The hard drive was defragged
October 25, 2006 5:12:04 PM

I will do a another antivirus scan.. and another spyware scan.

I did msconfig and removed lots of things that did not to be in startup..
that just took a bunch of time.

I only have 1 thing checked in startup which is java. everything else is unchecked.

I will get back to you with the spyware adware virus results to see if that fixes it.
Related resources
October 25, 2006 7:34:14 PM

Just finished all my scans. virus adware/spyware.. all clean nothing was on it.

thanks for suggestion but I still have the problem. Would it be a registry prolbem or administrative tools area problem in xp??

Is there a registry pro out there?

just so frustrated that I am out of options. I googled as much as I could on the delay of a network connection. I hope someone out there knows whats causing this.

Thanks again
October 26, 2006 3:01:31 PM

Try a straight wired connection (as a test) to see if that comes up quicker.

My laptop sometimes takes a while to recognize there is a wireless network present and then connect with it.

If the wired network comes up quickly, but the wireless does not, then you have narrowed down the issues significantly.

Sometimes, I "encourage" the system to find the wireless connection by opening the wireless utility. Seems to help. Don't know why.
October 31, 2006 6:43:14 PM

It sounds like your software to make your wireless NIC work just takes a while to start up. Instead of looking for a "hotfix" type of solution, I would try tweaking your laptop for extra performance. The THG article Spazo linked to is a great resource. Check it out.
!