Unallocated hard disk

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Hard Drives
  • Format
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2011 3:03:52 PM

I have a problem with a second hard disk. I can't see it on computer. It seems only in disk manager and it says 'unallocated'. What do I have to do that I get it to view like my primary hard disk (C)? I don't want to format it because it includes a lot of important files. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

More about : unallocated hard disk

a c 209 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 3:14:50 PM

Right-click on the drive label (i.e., "Disk 1") in the middle pane of Disk Manager and select "Assign a Drive Letter".
m
l
Related resources
a c 237 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 5:01:38 PM

It won't appear in my computer unless it is assigned a drive letter. It looks like you right clicked on disk 1 instead of the partition itself. you want to right click on disk 1, but in the center pane like sminal said to get the other options.
m
l
July 13, 2011 5:32:07 PM

I have clicked everywhere and I don't get 'Assign a Drive Letter' option. There is for example 'New simple volume', but I think it will format whole hard disk.
m
l
a c 237 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 6:09:19 PM

Doh, it says unallocated. If this is a new drive, you need to format it first. Do you have a format option when you right-click it?
m
l
July 13, 2011 6:21:54 PM

I don't have format option and it is not a new drive. It is a second hard disk. I have two hard disks and the 'unallocated' one is a drive which includes all data except Windows. I can see files with EASEUS Data recovery program, but is it possible to get the hard disk appear on 'my computer'?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 7:13:56 PM

you need to make a simple partition and then format that. so right click in disk manager, create new simple and follow the instructions. Once you've done that it willbe assigned a drive letter or you will have the option to assign one.
m
l
a c 237 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 7:16:01 PM

curious123 said:
What do I have to do that I get it to view like my primary hard disk (C)? I don't want to format it because it includes a lot of important files. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

13thmonkey said:
you need to make a simple partition and then format that. so right click in disk manager, create new simple and follow the instructions. Once you've done that it willbe assigned a drive letter or you will have the option to assign one.

If he does that, he'll lose his data.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 7:32:22 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
If he does that, he'll lose his data.

Good point well made.

In that case in the disk manager, where the disk is named (the small grey squarish block) there should be some options to make the disk online, or mount it.

it wasn't in a dynamic volume before was it?
m
l
July 13, 2011 8:08:02 PM

It wasn't in a dynamic volume. It is online but it doesn't seem in my computer. I have tried everything but it seems that it is impossible. I tried also system restore.. :( 
m
l
a c 237 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 8:17:33 PM

It is showing unallocated in disk management which means windows thinks it hasn't been formatted. You need recovery software to restore the drive and get your files back.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 8:25:26 PM

i'm stumped, usb caddy?
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2011 9:40:20 PM

When you right-click on the drive in Disk Management, what options do you see?

It might help to post a screenshot of how the disk appears in Disk Management.
m
l
a c 237 $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 11:43:09 AM

curious123 said:
I can't see "Assign a Drive Letter" or I'm a dumb. :whistle:  I can't untersatnd why it doesn't appear to 'My computer'...
Picture: http://aijaa.com/v.php?i=006438312015.jpg

sminlal said:
When you right-click on the drive in Disk Management, what options do you see?

It might help to post a screenshot of how the disk appears in Disk Management.

He posted a link to disk management already. See above.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
July 14, 2011 11:33:59 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
He posted a link to disk management already. See above.
Ah, now I see it. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm at a loss - anyone else?
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:46:25 PM

well i am having a very similar problem to this, i will use the partition tool hawkeye22 suggested and give you guys an update on how it went.

-thanks.
m
l
a c 423 $ Windows 7
June 19, 2012 8:25:59 PM

Thread is a year old!
m
l
March 19, 2013 7:46:05 AM

curious123 said:
I have a problem with a second hard disk. I can't see it on computer. It seems only in disk manager and it says 'unallocated'. What do I have to do that I get it to view like my primary hard disk (C)? I don't want to format it because it includes a lot of important files. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

go to disk management/storage/right click on harddisk that is unallocated than press new simple volume and follow the steps it worked for me i had the same issue :) )
m
l
March 19, 2013 7:47:08 AM

go to disk management/storage/right click on harddisk that is unallocated than press new simple volume and follow the steps it worked for me i had the same issue )
m
l
May 11, 2013 7:27:43 AM

right click on primary disk do click Extend
m
l
July 14, 2013 6:14:28 AM

i have same typ of problem and i relized that the problem is not just leting me give new letter also saying that the disk is not installed , when i click install it says error the disk is protected bla bla and dosent leting me to do ( it is just a simple f... external hard drive and i dont know what ales to do ) any help guys please ....
m
l
!