Sign in with
Your question

Cannot Mount/Access Old Hard Disk

Last response: in Storage
February 15, 2007 9:32:31 PM

Dear all,

Last weekend I stuck my old amd system in my fathers case and installed a new copy of xp on a freshly formatted hdd set to master. I left his old hdd connected (still with old xp install and all data intact) on the same IDE channel as slave. BIOS recognises both disks succesfully.

Problem is I cant see the old drive in file explorer. I can see it in Disk Management but it doesnt have a drive letter and the only option when I right click is to delete the partition. I dont want to do that as he wants some of the data from it still.

Can anyone suggest how i might go about mounting this disk so I can get the data off before formatting it?

Thanks

Warny

More about : mount access hard disk

February 16, 2007 1:45:15 AM

can u get into it from a command prompt or safe mode?
February 16, 2007 6:43:36 AM

Nope - there is no drive letter assigned to it so I cant see if from a cmd prompt and I cant get at it in safe mode either

Thanks

Warny
Related resources
February 16, 2007 9:10:53 PM

Found this on Microsoft site.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844/

The alternative would be to just put the old hdd in the computer, boot to Windows and copy the data he wants to a send hard drive or computer if you have a network and then format the drive and copy the data back
February 16, 2007 9:46:56 PM

Quote:
installed a new copy of xp on a freshly formatted hdd set to master.

Have you upgraded the new installation of XP to at least SP1? If you haven't, and the old HD is >137GB, the new installation of XP won't see it properly until you upgrade to SP1 or higher.
!