add/remove will not open in the control panel

When I click (double or single) the program will not open
5 answers Last reply
More about remove open control panel

    what you can try is putting in your windows xp cd and going to Start / Run
    and type in sfc /scannow click ok

    This will verify that all your windows files are in good shape. This might
    not fix the issue but its worth a shot. If this doesn't work I would boot up
    to the windows xp cd and run a repair on the OS. That I am almost possitive
    will do the trick.

    Good luck

    "Rick" <appelr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I click (double or single) the program will not open

    and don't forget the space after sfc.

    "hustedj" <asdf@asd.com> wrote in message
    > what you can try is putting in your windows xp cd and going to Start / Run
    > and type in sfc /scannow click ok
    >
    > This will verify that all your windows files are in good shape. This might
    > not fix the issue but its worth a shot. If this doesn't work I would boot
    > up to the windows xp cd and run a repair on the OS. That I am almost
    > possitive will do the trick.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > "Rick" <appelr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> When I click (double or single) the program will not open

    Hi,

    The .exe file, or the link (shortcut) to it? You will find fixes for both a
    www.dougknox.com under WinXP Fixes/File association fixes (.exe and .lnk).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Rick" <appelr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I click (double or single) the program will not open

    Pardon my earlier reply, I hadn't notice that you specified Add/Remove in
    the headers. Click start/run, type "control appwiz.cpl" and click ok. Does
    this work? If not (and I suspect it won't), then you need to replace that
    ..cpl file by expanding a new one from the I386 folder. Start/run msconfig,
    click on "expand file" (general tab)

    File to expand: appwiz.cpl
    From: X:\I386
    To: C:\Windows\system32

    Where X is whatever letter is assigned your CD drive (you need your WinXP CD
    for this), change it accordingly. If your system was preinstalled, you may
    find this instead on the hard drive under C:\Windows\I386 or simply C:\I386.
    If so, change the "from" line accordingly. This assumes a default
    installation to C:\Windows. If your installation is in a different folder,
    such as C:\Winnt, change the "To" path accordingly. Reboot when finished.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Rick" <appelr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I click (double or single) the program will not open

    Rick,

    In addition:

    Are you using a 3rd party theme?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Rick" <appelr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I click (double or single) the program will not open

Control Panel Microsoft Windows XP