Rebuilding a server

Hi ,

I am in the process of rebuilding a windows 2000 server which has many
files and folders and sub-folders with different NTFS shares and permissions
settings.

Instead of going through each and every folder manually and writing down the
groups and individual user’s rights for all files and folders, is there a way
that I can extract the information so I can export, then restore after I
rebuild the server?? A third party software??

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about rebuilding server

    If you have back up software like backupexec, you can restore the folders
    and specify restore security and it will keep foder permissions.
    > Hi ,
    >
    > I am in the process of rebuilding a windows 2000 server which has many
    > files and folders and sub-folders with different NTFS shares and
    permissions
    > settings.
    >
    > Instead of going through each and every folder manually and writing down
    the
    > groups and individual user's rights for all files and folders, is there a
    way
    > that I can extract the information so I can export, then restore after I
    > rebuild the server?? A third party software??
    >
    > Thanks.

    Are you meaning that you are facing fact that ACLing on old
    build used machine local groups and/or accouints ? so that
    the solutions so far suggested will not be of much help ?

    (Actually, with effort, you could script up a substitute of the
    new group or user for each instance of its corresponding
    unknown SID in a restored image - meaning you would only
    need to know all the users and/or groups used in the old and
    there replacements in the new).

    There are some tools like DumpSec (www.somarsoft.com),
    to name one free one, that can give you a view of the currently
    existing ACLing.

    --
    Roger
    > Hi ,
    >
    > I am in the process of rebuilding a windows 2000 server which has many
    > files and folders and sub-folders with different NTFS shares and
    > permissions
    > settings.
    >
    > Instead of going through each and every folder manually and writing down
    > the
    > groups and individual user's rights for all files and folders, is there a
    > way
    > that I can extract the information so I can export, then restore after I
    > rebuild the server?? A third party software??
    >
    > Thanks.

    See the link below on how to migrate such using tools like robocopy and
    permcopy and other options. Xcopy /o can aslo copy explicit permissions. You
    also might have luck creating a Ghost type image and copying it to the new
    hard drive. Sometimes it will boot into the operating system and work if
    Plug and Play allows it to work. Even if it does not, it may work if you
    then boot from the install cdrom and perform an in place upgrade of the
    operating system which would require you to install the service pack first
    and then critical updates. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323007 -- xcopy

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/sdccc_fsv_ogzt.asp
    http://tinyurl.com/2fz4e -- same link shorter.

    > Hi ,
    >
    > I am in the process of rebuilding a windows 2000 server which has many
    > files and folders and sub-folders with different NTFS shares and
    > permissions
    > settings.
    >
    > Instead of going through each and every folder manually and writing down
    > the
    > groups and individual user's rights for all files and folders, is there a
    > way
    > that I can extract the information so I can export, then restore after I
    > rebuild the server?? A third party software??
    >
    > Thanks.

Servers Windows