Rebuilding a server

David

Hi ,

I am in the process of rebuilding a windows 2000 server which has many
files and folders and sub-folders with different NTFS shares and permissions
settings.

Instead of going through each and every folder manually and writing down the
groups and individual user’s rights for all files and folders, is there a way
that I can extract the information so I can export, then restore after I
rebuild the server?? A third party software??

Thanks.

If you have back up software like backupexec, you can restore the folders
and specify restore security and it will keep foder permissions.
> Hi ,
>
> I am in the process of rebuilding a windows 2000 server which has many
> files and folders and sub-folders with different NTFS shares and
permissions
> settings.
>
> Instead of going through each and every folder manually and writing down
the
> groups and individual user's rights for all files and folders, is there a
way
> that I can extract the information so I can export, then restore after I
> rebuild the server?? A third party software??
>
> Thanks.

Are you meaning that you are facing fact that ACLing on old
build used machine local groups and/or accouints ? so that
the solutions so far suggested will not be of much help ?

(Actually, with effort, you could script up a substitute of the
new group or user for each instance of its corresponding
unknown SID in a restored image - meaning you would only
need to know all the users and/or groups used in the old and
there replacements in the new).

There are some tools like DumpSec (www.somarsoft.com),
to name one free one, that can give you a view of the currently
existing ACLing.

--
Roger
> Hi ,
>
> I am in the process of rebuilding a windows 2000 server which has many
> files and folders and sub-folders with different NTFS shares and
> permissions
> settings.
>
> Instead of going through each and every folder manually and writing down
> the
> groups and individual user's rights for all files and folders, is there a
> way
> that I can extract the information so I can export, then restore after I
> rebuild the server?? A third party software??
>
> Thanks.

See the link below on how to migrate such using tools like robocopy and
permcopy and other options. Xcopy /o can aslo copy explicit permissions. You
also might have luck creating a Ghost type image and copying it to the new
hard drive. Sometimes it will boot into the operating system and work if
Plug and Play allows it to work. Even if it does not, it may work if you
then boot from the install cdrom and perform an in place upgrade of the
operating system which would require you to install the service pack first
and then critical updates. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323007 -- xcopy

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/sdccc_fsv_ogzt.asp
http://tinyurl.com/2fz4e -- same link shorter.