XP Pro to Xp Home possible ?

March 3, 2005 8:59:02 PM

Strange situation for me. I bought a PC that had XP Pro installed that ran
quite well until SVC PK 1 came out. Bouhgt it from a large online store. I
had everything working including multiple periphs and PCI cards, adn all my
other stuff.
I tried registering with MS, and was shuttled around between them and Dell
(it's a Dell, but Dell defers to MS)for several weeks.
Finally a MS person told me I had a pirated version of XP Pro. Since I had
bought the PC from an online retailer, I called them and they said my 30 days
were up, to call Dell.
Dell sent me a 148.00 Windows Home Edition. I called them back and they
aren't going to take it back sincxe I opened the package.
The COA which I have right here has nothing resembling a xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
style number.
I am rambling..

More about : pro home

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:03:52 PM

Is it a boxed edition or an OEM disk in a soft pak? If it is a boxed
edition, the Product Key is printed in the folder that holds the cd.

"Torx" <Torx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Strange situation for me. I bought a PC that had XP Pro installed that ran
> quite well until SVC PK 1 came out. Bouhgt it from a large online store. I
> had everything working including multiple periphs and PCI cards, adn all
> my
> other stuff.
> I tried registering with MS, and was shuttled around between them and Dell
> (it's a Dell, but Dell defers to MS)for several weeks.
> Finally a MS person told me I had a pirated version of XP Pro. Since I had
> bought the PC from an online retailer, I called them and they said my 30
> days
> were up, to call Dell.
> Dell sent me a 148.00 Windows Home Edition. I called them back and they
> aren't going to take it back sincxe I opened the package.
> The COA which I have right here has nothing resembling a
> xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
> style number.
> I am rambling..
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:03:53 PM

It is a boxed version of XP Home. I am running XP Pro. The box is brand new,
and there is nothing anywhere that looks like the product key diagrams. I am
just wondering if I should just boot from the CD and loose all my hard work
with drivers etc.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Is it a boxed edition or an OEM disk in a soft pak? If it is a boxed
> edition, the Product Key is printed in the folder that holds the cd.

> "Torx" <Torx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Strange situation for me. I bought a PC that had XP Pro installed that ran
> > quite well until SVC PK 1 came out. Bouhgt it from a large online store. I
> > had everything working including multiple periphs and PCI cards, adn all
> > my
> > other stuff.
> > I tried registering with MS, and was shuttled around between them and Dell
> > (it's a Dell, but Dell defers to MS)for several weeks.
> > Finally a MS person told me I had a pirated version of XP Pro. Since I had
> > bought the PC from an online retailer, I called them and they said my 30
> > days
> > were up, to call Dell.
> > Dell sent me a 148.00 Windows Home Edition. I called them back and they
> > aren't going to take it back sincxe I opened the package.
> > The COA which I have right here has nothing resembling a
> > xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
> > style number.
> > I am rambling..

March 3, 2005 10:25:13 PM

The product key is in the foldout folder that holds the cd. Unfold the
folder all the way.

> It is a boxed version of XP Home. I am running XP Pro. The box is brand
> new,
> and there is nothing anywhere that looks like the product key diagrams. I
> am
> just wondering if I should just boot from the CD and loose all my hard
> work
> with drivers etc.
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Is it a boxed edition or an OEM disk in a soft pak? If it is a boxed
>> edition, the Product Key is printed in the folder that holds the cd.
>>
>> --
>> "Torx" <Torx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Strange situation for me. I bought a PC that had XP Pro installed that
>> > ran
>> > quite well until SVC PK 1 came out. Bouhgt it from a large online
>> > store. I
>> > had everything working including multiple periphs and PCI cards, adn
>> > all
>> > my
>> > other stuff.
>> > I tried registering with MS, and was shuttled around between them and
>> > Dell
>> > (it's a Dell, but Dell defers to MS)for several weeks.
>> > Finally a MS person told me I had a pirated version of XP Pro. Since I
>> > had
>> > bought the PC from an online retailer, I called them and they said my
>> > 30
>> > days
>> > were up, to call Dell.
>> > Dell sent me a 148.00 Windows Home Edition. I called them back and they
>> > aren't going to take it back sincxe I opened the package.
>> > The COA which I have right here has nothing resembling a
>> > xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
>> > style number.
>> > I am rambling..

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:12:23 PM

Comments Inline:

Torx wrote:
> Strange situation for me.
> I bought a PC that had XP Pro installed that ran quite well until SP1
> came out. Bought it from a large online store.

Bought what from a large online store?
- The computer with Windows XP on it?
- Windows XP w/SP1?

And if the latter, why would you purchase Windows XP SP1 when all you need
to do is install the free patch?

> I had everything working including multiple periphs and
> PCI cards, and all my other stuff.

Okay.

> I tried registering with MS, and was shuttled around between them and
> Dell (it's a Dell, but Dell defers to MS)for several weeks.

If you bought a Dell originally, then Dell is responsible for the copy of
Windows XP that came installed with the system, as it is an OEM copy.
Microsoft does not provide direct support for OEM versions of their
software. If you (as pointed out above) for some reason decided to buy and
install another copy of Windows XP when SP1 came out a couple of years ago
instead of just patching your machine - then your support for that copy
depends on what type of version it was.

> Finally a MS person told me I had a pirated version of XP Pro. Since
> I had bought the PC from an online retailer, I called them and they
> said my 30 days were up, to call Dell.

So you bought a Dell from someone OTHER than Dell. Okay.. Strange. Is the
sticker for the Operating System CD Key still on the computer case? Usually
on the side with Dells.

> Dell sent me a 148.00 Windows Home Edition. I called them back and
> they aren't going to take it back since I opened the package.
> The COA which I have right here has nothing resembling a
> xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx style number.
> I am rambling..

Why did you open the package? Again I ask about the sticker on the
machine - is it there?

In any case - your question in the subject:

No - you will be performing a CLEAN install. Anything and everything on the
PC you do not backup, you will lose.

--
<- Shenan ->
March 3, 2005 11:12:24 PM

Thanks.
I bought the PC from UBid. It was listed as a Dell refurb. and Ubid assured
me that it was a Dell refurb. It shipped directly from Dell.
Getting stranger.
The iinstall CD is Dells XP before any service packs.
After all the upgrades I finally got to the SP1 upgrade and I get error
messages. Dell walked me throuhg the basic MS update site, and MS techs
walked me throug it.
Both pointed the finger at the other, so I used Dells online upgrade tool,
and viola, they said I was cool for an upgrade. Since I had used their site
for RAM upgrades they just sent me a XP Home w/sp2 CD. No upgrade, nothing.
It's ibb a nice box.
ANd to be honest, I hardly looked at the wording before I opened it.
I am thinking it is a Dell version and that there is some magic place for me
to enter the #'s on the COA, but Dell, just defers back to MS.
I am at wits end.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Comments Inline:
>
> Torx wrote:
> > Strange situation for me.
> > I bought a PC that had XP Pro installed that ran quite well until SP1
> > came out. Bought it from a large online store.
>
> Bought what from a large online store?
> - The computer with Windows XP on it?
> - Windows XP w/SP1?
>
> And if the latter, why would you purchase Windows XP SP1 when all you need
> to do is install the free patch?
>
> > I had everything working including multiple periphs and
> > PCI cards, and all my other stuff.
>
> Okay.
>
> > I tried registering with MS, and was shuttled around between them and
> > Dell (it's a Dell, but Dell defers to MS)for several weeks.
>
> If you bought a Dell originally, then Dell is responsible for the copy of
> Windows XP that came installed with the system, as it is an OEM copy.
> Microsoft does not provide direct support for OEM versions of their
> software. If you (as pointed out above) for some reason decided to buy and
> install another copy of Windows XP when SP1 came out a couple of years ago
> instead of just patching your machine - then your support for that copy
> depends on what type of version it was.
>
> > Finally a MS person told me I had a pirated version of XP Pro. Since
> > I had bought the PC from an online retailer, I called them and they
> > said my 30 days were up, to call Dell.
>
> So you bought a Dell from someone OTHER than Dell. Okay.. Strange. Is the
> sticker for the Operating System CD Key still on the computer case? Usually
> on the side with Dells.
>
> > Dell sent me a 148.00 Windows Home Edition. I called them back and
> > they aren't going to take it back since I opened the package.
> > The COA which I have right here has nothing resembling a
> > xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx style number.
> > I am rambling..
>
> Why did you open the package? Again I ask about the sticker on the
> machine - is it there?
>

> In any case - your question in the subject:
>
> No - you will be performing a CLEAN install. Anything and everything on the
> PC you do not backup, you will lose.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

March 3, 2005 11:12:25 PM

And no there is no MS related sticker on the case.

"Torx" wrote:

> [...]
> > > they aren't going to take it back since I opened the package.
> > > The COA which I have right here has nothing resembling a
> > > xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx style number.
> > > I am rambling..
> >
> > Why did you open the package? Again I ask about the sticker on the
> > machine - is it there?
> >

> > In any case - your question in the subject:
> >
> > No - you will be performing a CLEAN install. Anything and everything on the
> > PC you do not backup, you will lose.
> >
> > --
> > <- Shenan ->
> > --
> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:37:34 PM

Research before you spend your money..

For Pricing/Opinions/Reviews on various products:
- http://www.dealsites.net/
- http://www.resellerratings.com/
- http://www.epinions.com/
- http://www.techbargains.com/
- http://www.edealinfo.com/
- http://www.fatwallet.com/
- http://www.pricewatch.com/
- http://www.couponfinders.com/

--
<- Shenan ->
March 3, 2005 11:37:35 PM

Everyone..Please laugh with me.!!
I am tempted to just slam the CD in and call Dell when I hose up.
Geez. I have spent plenty of $$ and time. I think I just got tired of
waiting on hold all day.
Laugh with me...

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Research before you spend your money..
> http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2050.html
>
> For Pricing/Opinions/Reviews on various products:
> - http://www.dealsites.net/
> - http://www.resellerratings.com/
> - http://www.epinions.com/
> - http://www.techbargains.com/
> - http://www.edealinfo.com/
> - http://www.fatwallet.com/
> - http://www.pricewatch.com/
> - http://www.couponfinders.com/
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

March 4, 2005 3:20:26 AM

Ask Dell to tell you were the sticker is supposed to be.

You will need to do a clean install of Home as you can not install it over
Pro. That would be a downgrade and something that no version of Windows can
do.

--

Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Torx" <Torx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Strange situation for me. I bought a PC that had XP Pro installed that ran
> quite well until SVC PK 1 came out. Bouhgt it from a large online store. I
> had everything working including multiple periphs and PCI cards, adn all
my
> other stuff.
> I tried registering with MS, and was shuttled around between them and Dell
> (it's a Dell, but Dell defers to MS)for several weeks.
> Finally a MS person told me I had a pirated version of XP Pro. Since I had
> bought the PC from an online retailer, I called them and they said my 30
days
> were up, to call Dell.
> Dell sent me a 148.00 Windows Home Edition. I called them back and they
> aren't going to take it back sincxe I opened the package.
> The COA which I have right here has nothing resembling a
xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
> style number.
> I am rambling..
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 7:05:02 AM

Hello Torx,
Have you got a restore CD from Dell for your machine? If so, it will
load the oringal OS that came with that system. If not, call Dell and ask
for one. If you get the XP Home to load you can find an Upgrade version of XP
Pro online for a decent price rather than buy the full version. Just buy from
a trusted dealer and make sure it is a legit copy before you toss out your
reciepts .I have a brand new upgrade of
XPSP1 Home still in the box that you can have for 60 bucks. I paid 99.99 for
it.
Get back to me if you want it. Best of luck to you.
ron j

"Torx" wrote:

> Everyone..Please laugh with me.!!
> I am tempted to just slam the CD in and call Dell when I hose up.
> Geez. I have spent plenty of $$ and time. I think I just got tired of
> waiting on hold all day.
> Laugh with me...
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
> > Research before you spend your money..
> > http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2050.html
> >
> > For Pricing/Opinions/Reviews on various products:
> > - http://www.dealsites.net/
> > - http://www.resellerratings.com/
> > - http://www.epinions.com/
> > - http://www.techbargains.com/
> > - http://www.edealinfo.com/
> > - http://www.fatwallet.com/
> > - http://www.pricewatch.com/
> > - http://www.couponfinders.com/
> >
> > --
> > <- Shenan ->
> > --
> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 9:39:57 AM

Torx wrote:
> Strange situation for me. I bought a PC that had XP Pro installed that ran
> quite well until SVC PK 1 came out. Bouhgt it from a large online store. I
> had everything working including multiple periphs and PCI cards, adn all my
> other stuff.
> I tried registering with MS, and was shuttled around between them and Dell
> (it's a Dell, but Dell defers to MS)for several weeks.
> Finally a MS person told me I had a pirated version of XP Pro. Since I had
> bought the PC from an online retailer, I called them and they said my 30 days
> were up, to call Dell.
> Dell sent me a 148.00 Windows Home Edition. I called them back and they
> aren't going to take it back sincxe I opened the package.
> The COA which I have right here has nothing resembling a xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
> style number.
> I am rambling..

The only way to change from WinXP Pro to WinXP Home is to
format the drive and start over. There is no supported downgrade path
or technique.

Simply boot from the WinXP Home installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as
part of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the
order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm