Crossfire comes to the Mac

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
This article from AppleInsider relies on two reports by the evil (according to many) Inquirer, but it's still newsworthy IMHO. For the first time, Crossfire will soon become available for the Mac Pro with the OEM version of the X2800XT being designed specifically for Apple. I know the Mac is computer non grata in these forums but here's the news anyway for those who might care.

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2492

Pretty soon the Mac Pro will be available with two Clovertowns and two R600s. Macophobes thought Apple would become Intel's whore as a result of their partnership. The fact is that Apple has never been anyone's whore and I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to spread their business to include AMD and nVidia chipsets in addition to GPUs.

I'll qualify all of the above by saying that this is all speculation based on two possibly unreliable sources. But at least it's informed speculation. :)

mpjesse

Splendid
a Mac IS a PC. they can now be dual booted with Vista. the only differentiating factor is the OS now.

anyways, this is cool news. only problem is there aren't many games or apps that are designed for OSX that would use x-fire. Prey is the only thing that comes to mind right now.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
They've always been PCs and have been using ATI/nVidia before the switch to Intel. But yes, with their adoption of x86 CPUs their PCs can now run Windows or any other OS developed for x86. Now if only they released OS X from slavery to Apple hardware...

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
a Mac IS a PC. they can now be dual booted with Vista. the only differentiating factor is the OS now.

anyways, this is cool news. only problem is there aren't many games or apps that are designed for OSX that would use x-fire. Prey is the only thing that comes to mind right now.

Yeah, the Mac is not a gaming platform but since it can now run Windows you can also play Windows games. But this news is more significant for professional 3D apps based on OpenGL.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
well i knew they used nvidia, i wasnt sure about ati. Im personally not a big fan of apple so i dont read up on them.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Im personally not a big fan of apple so i dont read up on them.
That's cool Shata. Most people here loathe Apple but that doesn't mean they don't exist. :)

I guess people with a lot of money to spend that need/want a nice computer in the house for basic or multimedia needs is a small group. Most people here are into gaming.

Kukito - Please, unless the OSX is for multimedia or to have something nice for basic stuff, it's a limited piece of **** if you ask me. Keep it at slavery where it belongs.

Either way, Mac is still a long shot from being as versatile as a PC.

Are you an authoritarian of some sort? I agree with your first point, there is a market out there for multimedia capable PCs. I never suggested otherwise.

The Mac may still be a long shot but that doesn't mean it won't take off. I don't like being restricted to one desktop OS controlled by one company, so even though I don't use Mac I still hope that they succeed. And the same goes for Linux. And neither one of those is a limited piece of crap.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I didn't intend for this thread to degenerate into still another Mac vs. PC flame war. I was just commenting on a news report about the Mac Pro and Crossfire and the possibilities for gaming when running it under Windows.

LOL!

When I first heard about this I thought, yeah now Apple Users can REALLY overpay for their rig. Why just give PC users the curse? :twisted:

Of course when I think gaming the first thing I think of is MAC. :lol:

Seriously though, I don't hate MAC/APPLE I just want their OS not their hardware. So reading this just made me say OMG, this is so the wrong direction for things. :roll:

My dad and sister run macs (2 each), and I have nothing against them other than the limited options and overpriced aspect, but this just seems like the wrong market IMO, and kinda a waste of driver resources/employees, and they're both minorities so while Xfire/SLi is like 1% of the PC market, now it has the chance to be like 1% of a minority 5-10% MAC market? 8O Weird choice.

...Actually, firefox always crashes when I use it on a mac, so I guess my comment just got nulled.

LOL!
That's funny because I had a similar experience on my dad's iMAC at the cottage when using Opera (instead of Safari cause I use Firefox and Opera at home here) it always hung on my first run of the program. Weird. I close the window, err.... app, then re-open, and voila working, each time. Tried 2 versions of it too same thing.

I don't know what it is about browsing with MACs, but it seems to have always been one of the weak points.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I have OSX myself and I always go back to my PC computer out of irritation because of something I can't do.

That's like saying: I always go back to Paint Shop Pro because there's something I can´t do in Photoshop.

You can´t blame the OS because your lack of knowledge...

CF...I just can say:500 Watts for two gfx cards?!?!?!?

mpjesse

Splendid
mpjesse - Hardware upgrades for Mac still remains somewhat limited compared to PC's. And OSX can be run on a PC now, so that leaves even more of a disadvantage overall.

If by "can be" you are refering to the folks who've pirated OSX and hacked it to run on a PC, then your statement that OSX can be run on a PC is misleading. You still cannot buy a legitimate copy of OSX and just simply install it on a PC. You have to buy/run emulators and find BETA drivers. Additionally a ton of hardware isn't supported. It's a hassle and Apple doesn't support it. And they shouldn't...

randomizer

Champion
...Actually, firefox always crashes when I use it on a mac, so I guess my comment just got nulled.

LOL!
That's funny because I had a similar experience on my dad's iMAC at the cottage when using Opera (instead of Safari cause I use Firefox and Opera at home here) it always hung on my first run of the program. Weird. I close the window, err.... app, then re-open, and voila working, each time. Tried 2 versions of it too same thing.

I don't know what it is about browsing with MACs, but it seems to have always been one of the weak points.
And its a shame that (mainly with the old PowerPC ones) its about all they are good for.

LUCKY7SON

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
I’m from the year 2020 and I’ve come to tell you that amd is wining in processing wars with a chip called Ryzen it hase to be stopped before people wast money on pc tha crashes with errors and driver issues