Ports - WAN Miniport

Have disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP so that I have access to others' shares,
but don't allow access to my shares.

My firewall says "NetBIOS traffic is being allowed."

Now I know it is referring to WAN miniport for a home network, which I don't
have. I am a standalone W2K computer with many of the Services disabled
which I don't need. I am connected to my ISP, a broadband, but I disconnect
my modem when I am not actually on the internet or sending or getting mail.

Do I need to do anything with the WAN miniport settings for more security?

Disabling netbios over tcp/ip will not prevent access to shares on a Windows
2000 computer. If you do not need to offer shares to anyone or manage your
computer remotely via Computer Management, then disable file and print
sharing on your network adapter or uninstall file and print sharing. Your
firewall should also be configured to block access to everything inbound
that is not a response to traffic you initiated by default and exceptions
created for allowed traffic IF any. You can go to a self scan site such as
http://scan.sygatetech.com/ to do at least a quick scan to see what
vulnerabilities are found with your internet connection and then make
adjustments to your firewall if problems are found. If you are unsure how to
configure your firewall it often is best to uninstall it and the reinstall
it so that it is at default settings and then pay careful attention to what
traffic you allow after that. Zone Alarm has a free version for home users
and is fairly easy to configure. --- Steve

"dargill at SX840" <jgillig1@nycap.rr.com.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
> Have disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP so that I have access to others' shares,
> but don't allow access to my shares.
>
> My firewall says "NetBIOS traffic is being allowed."
>
> Now I know it is referring to WAN miniport for a home network, which I
> don't
> have. I am a standalone W2K computer with many of the Services disabled
> which I don't need. I am connected to my ISP, a broadband, but I
> disconnect
> my modem when I am not actually on the internet or sending or getting
> mail.
>
> Do I need to do anything with the WAN miniport settings for more security?

Stephen, I think my note was incorrect because I used the wrong terminology.
I did, indeed, uninstall file and print-sharing some time ago.

Thanks for your reply. I've just installed a new version of firewall, and it
is rejecting everything except what I have allowed in the trusted list. I
have just used its firewall test and I am now totally secure. The test
reports no open ports and I am completely invisible to the outside world.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
[...]
:
:
: "dargill at SX840" <jgillig1@nycap.rr.com.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
: news:uT%234JSjvEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
: > Have disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP so that I have access to others'
shares,
: > but don't allow access to my shares.
: >
: > My firewall says "NetBIOS traffic is being allowed."
: >
: > Now I know it is referring to WAN miniport for a home network, which I
: > don't
: > have. I am a standalone W2K computer with many of the Services disabled
: > which I don't need. I am connected to my ISP, a broadband, but I
: > disconnect
: > my modem when I am not actually on the internet or sending or getting
: > mail.
: >
: > Do I need to do anything with the WAN miniport settings for more
security?
: >
: >
:
:

Ok. Sounds like you are in good shape firewall wise. That in conjunction
with using a hard to guess password for your administrator accounts, keeping
current with critical updates at Windows Updates, and using a quality anti
virus program that is kept current and scans ALL emails will go a long way
in protecting your computer/network. --- Steve

> [...]
> : news:uT%234JSjvEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> : > Have disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP so that I have access to others'
> shares,
> : > but don't allow access to my shares.
> : >
> : > My firewall says "NetBIOS traffic is being allowed."
> : >
> : > Now I know it is referring to WAN miniport for a home network, which I
> : > don't
> : > have. I am a standalone W2K computer with many of the Services
> disabled
> : > which I don't need. I am connected to my ISP, a broadband, but I
> : > disconnect
> : > my modem when I am not actually on the internet or sending or getting
> : > mail.
> : >
> : > Do I need to do anything with the WAN miniport settings for more

TRENDING THREADS