For a smaller deployment, it would be wiser buying a certi..

As I posted before, I have an application admin who would like to install a
digital certificate on his Dell OpenManage software, that way the traffic
would be transmitted securely.

I see that the OpenManage already has a certificate installed by default,
but when I click 'view certificate' it has a red cross and says 'untrusted'.

Since I need a digital certificate for my internal network and only and to
be used for these internal servers (not for my entire domain), does it make
sense if I buy a digital certificate from Verisign, for example, right ?
I wouldn't need to implement an enterprise CA in my Win2000 domain if all I
need to do is provide a digital certificate for this OpenManage tool, right
?

Hi Marlon,

Red cross (untrusted) in certificate means that you don't have all
information on your computer that would enable it to trust this certificate
(e.g. Root CA certificate). Red cross doesn't make it any less secure.

If this application runs on IIS you could also use SelfSSL tool from IIS 6
Resource Kit...

Still if you want, you can go with Verising or Thawte (Thawte is cheaper).
http://www.thawte.com

Mike

"Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As I posted before, I have an application admin who would like to install
> digital certificate on his Dell OpenManage software, that way the traffic
> would be transmitted securely.
>
> I see that the OpenManage already has a certificate installed by default,
> but when I click 'view certificate' it has a red cross and says
> 'untrusted'.
>
> Since I need a digital certificate for my internal network and only and to
> be used for these internal servers (not for my entire domain), does it
> make
> sense if I buy a digital certificate from Verisign, for example, right ?
> I wouldn't need to implement an enterprise CA in my Win2000 domain if all
> need to do is provide a digital certificate for this OpenManage tool,
> right
> ?

TRENDING THREADS