EFS file unable to decrypt

i had multiple files encrypted on my local system. I have changed passwords
a dozen times since encrypting and of course, now i cannot decrypt them. i
was unaware of the microsoft "feature" that required you to decrypt, change
password, then re-encrypt. this is on a stand alone XP station service pack
2. any help would be appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about file unable decrypt

    You should not have a problem if you change your password via
    control-alt-delete. The problem comes if you "reset" the password via Local
    Users and Computers. You will have to keep trying passwords to find the one
    that can unlock your EFS private key to allow decrypting the files.
    Otherwise you are out of luck. --- Steve

    "MJ w/ 2 TJs" <h8tessy@h8netnet.net> wrote in message
    >i had multiple files encrypted on my local system. I have changed
    >passwords a dozen times since encrypting and of course, now i cannot
    >decrypt them. i was unaware of the microsoft "feature" that required you
    >to decrypt, change password, then re-encrypt. this is on a stand alone XP
    >station service pack 2. any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks Steve,
    Unfortunately, i did it through LUG. I have found several utilities that
    "may" be able to do it, however, i don't feel like dropping $$ on it, but I
    do need the files...a brute force is looking like my only alternative.

    > You should not have a problem if you change your password via
    > control-alt-delete. The problem comes if you "reset" the password via
    > Local Users and Computers. You will have to keep trying passwords to find
    > the one that can unlock your EFS private key to allow decrypting the
    > files. Otherwise you are out of luck. --- Steve
    >

    > "MJ w/ 2 TJs" <h8tessy@h8netnet.net> wrote in message
    >>i had multiple files encrypted on my local system. I have changed
    >>passwords a dozen times since encrypting and of course, now i cannot
    >>decrypt them. i was unaware of the microsoft "feature" that required you
    >>to decrypt, change password, then re-encrypt. this is on a stand alone XP
    >>station service pack 2. any help would be appreciated.

    The utility I tried requires that you know the password used to protect the
    EFS private key and is usually used in cases where a user reinstalled the
    operating system but has the original user profile. Elcomsoft does have a
    free trial version though it will only decrypt small files if you know the
    corresponding password. By brute force I assume you mean password guessing.
    You will never be able to brute force the encryption itself in XP Pro
    without the help of the CIA/NSA and have a long wait. Sorry to hear the
    files were important. You might try to scan the drive for old or temporary
    copies of clear text files that you might be able to recover. It would be a
    long shot but better than trying to crack EFS encryption. I have found that
    File Scavenger can find a lot of stuff in a deep scan and they have a free
    trial version. -- Steve

    > Thanks Steve,
    > Unfortunately, i did it through LUG. I have found several utilities that
    > "may" be able to do it, however, i don't feel like dropping $$ on it, but
    > I do need the files...a brute force is looking like my only alternative.

    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> You should not have a problem if you change your password via
    >> control-alt-delete. The problem comes if you "reset" the password via
    >> Local Users and Computers. You will have to keep trying passwords to find
    >> the one that can unlock your EFS private key to allow decrypting the
    >> files. Otherwise you are out of luck. --- Steve
    >>

    >> "MJ w/ 2 TJs" <h8tessy@h8netnet.net> wrote in message
    >>>i had multiple files encrypted on my local system. I have changed
    >>>passwords a dozen times since encrypting and of course, now i cannot
    >>>decrypt them. i was unaware of the microsoft "feature" that required you
    >>>to decrypt, change password, then re-encrypt. this is on a stand alone
    >>>XP station service pack 2. any help would be appreciated.

Security Microsoft Windows XP Windows